Konami and the Tokimeki Memorial Series for boys and girls

Discuss visual novels and story-based games that didn't originate on this forum.
OtomeWeekend
Eileen-Class Veteran

Re: Konami and the Tokimeki Memorial Series for boys and gir

#46 Post by OtomeWeekend »

Aleema wrote:Whenever I used to play TMGS, I used to get very impassioned about making VNs, too. I don't get that way anymore since I am making a game that slates me (before, I wasn't making any modern day stat raisers date simmy things). But then, I just don't have the patience for TMGS at all anymore. Takes way too long to play and the little generic cutscenes are no longer worth it. Becoming a game maker has killed a lot of games for me ... but I don't regret it. :)
I dunno but i love stat-raising, if i can code stat raising styled game(which i can't), I'd definitely do it XDD
"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong." ---Mahatma Gandhi

I no longer use this account. Please refer to my new account, enta if you want to contact me. Thank you.

Celestie
Veteran

#47 Post by Celestie »

Yesh, school is done for good now, I'll start TMGS1 now again~

...well. Somehow I am really excited to play it now, even with my hate for stat-raisings and especially the bombs. Well. No matter. What I really like about TMGS is that you kind of get informed about a school year in Japan and what you do or what events occur and stuff. Really helpful in case I'll ever decide to use the Japanese highschool setting xD
*pending signature, as in, I don't have any if this signature doesn't allow any 100px high images TAT*

Renzonokuken
Completed: Update

#48 Post by Renzonokuken »

feyz wrote:Totally agree! They're extremely awesome but why they don't make it in English too?!
It'd be awesome if it's made in English

Well, the solution is to learn Japanese as your second language though :D

---------------------------------------

I had finished the Tokimemo 1 and 2 in Japs, but not the Tokimemo 3 yet :D

Celestie
Veteran

#49 Post by Celestie »

Renzonokuken wrote:
Well, the solution is to learn Japanese as your second language though :D
I totally plan to except it would be my...forth language or something.

Tell us how TMGS3 is when you do play it, I am curious~

Side-note: ...skinship...is both amusing and irritating because I didn't know you can do more than poking a person. >.>""
*pending signature, as in, I don't have any if this signature doesn't allow any 100px high images TAT*

Riviera
Miko-Class Veteran

#50 Post by Riviera »

Working on the japanese language bit!

I want to play 3rd story so badly, but I'm not fluent enough to understand most kanji. Urrrrgh must learn faster!
Will edit/proofread for cookies.

I do free voicework! Click here for samples

Cidz
Veteran
Completed: The Forgetful Kiwi [NanoReno 2012], Papercut [NanoReno 2013]
Projects: Words Within Our Hearts, Papercut [NanoReno 2013]
Organization: Starlight Melodies
Tumblr: starlightmelodies
Deviantart: cidthekitty

#51 Post by Cidz »

I've played TMGS 1&2 and loved both of them so far! they are what got me intersested in dating-sims and otome games. i prefer 2 over 1 because the guys are cuter. i went for harry first sooo cuuutee <3 now im kind of trying to go for the sports guy. i hope TMGS3 gets translated into english someday i really want to play that!

Celestie
Veteran

#52 Post by Celestie »

Oh, I believe the translation is in (slow) progress but it will definitely be translated by the fans. Just keep in mind they, too, have a life and school and everything. Gotta love them, thanks to them we get to playn these wodnerful games~

And I think I like the boys from 2 even more than 1, too. What with this cute, handsome teacher, that tsundere main boy and all those others? :3

ririruetoo
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: May-chan, The Country with no People, Him&Me

#53 Post by ririruetoo »

Tokimeki Girl's Side series is what first got me into visual novels, and I have to say I'm a HUGE fan of them. I've already played 3rd story ( even though I can't understand Japanese, I still adored it! The brothers have to be my favorite guys!) and I can't wait until it's English patch is released.
ImageImageImage

OtomeWeekend
Eileen-Class Veteran

#54 Post by OtomeWeekend »

I'm actually crossing my fingers on the translation cause we never know when Konami would make a move and sue them X.X like what happened on a certain game i forgot the title and the people who translated it, got sued and.... :(
"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong." ---Mahatma Gandhi

I no longer use this account. Please refer to my new account, enta if you want to contact me. Thank you.

Celestie
Veteran

#55 Post by Celestie »

Ah, yeah...I hope they will live through. I know there is no excuse like "it's 'cause they don't localize or find someone who localizes those games outside Japan and thus we have to rely on fan translation", but they are still doing a very nice deed for us non-Japanese-understanding fans, so I am rooting for them D:

manga_otaku
Veteran
Completed: [KN] Saving Project: Blind? (Part One)

#56 Post by manga_otaku »

TMSGS1&2 have a translation fan patch in English which is really good! The voicing is still in Japanese, but everything else is in English ^^ I think it's on GBAtemp somewhere...can't remember xD I think I might have posted the links up in a waaaay earlier post somewhere though xD
Projects:
WIP|[KN] Day Of Reckoning|
Completed|[KN] Saving Project Blind: Part One|[KN] Saving Project Blind: Part Two|[KN] Saving Project Blind: Final Part|
Is available to help with proof-reading (Grammar freak...) Maybe voice-acting in the near future x]

Joey
Regular
Projects: Water's Edge
Organization: Etoranze

#57 Post by Joey »

Haha I'm actually recording some of my playthroughs for TMGS3 on my YouTube account (yjkunieda), some with subs ^^; /shameless promotion

I don't think Konami would ever release an official English version of TMGS, no matter how popular it is with English-speaking fanbase. Otome games are still a niche market outside of Japan, even in Asian countries like the one I live in it is very difficult to admit that you like playing dating sims in public. Also I think the entire setting of TMGS is altogether too Japanese-y, which makes things even harder to localize. A lot of people say that they don't mind if they leave everything Japanese-y the way it is right down to the honorifics, but this still isn't a big enough group of people for Konami to make a profit of; they'd want to put out a game that every girl wants to play and not just the girls who are into Japanese culture.

I think the best thing non-Japanese-speaking fans can hope for is to attempt to learn the language + read guides + fan translation patches, which aren't bad at all. \o/ Or maybe another company can make a breakthrough-English-language otome game?

But TMGS really kickstarted my interest in visual novels... It's fun, simple and very rewarding ^^ You want to play it over and over again just to get every boy's ending orz
Image (devblog) || devtwitter | devtumblr

ririruetoo
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: May-chan, The Country with no People, Him&Me

#58 Post by ririruetoo »

I really can't wait until the 3rd story patch is released ( now hoping for a Girl's Side 4...)
ImageImageImage

OtomeWeekend
Eileen-Class Veteran

#59 Post by OtomeWeekend »

I'm really curious about this but.... when you say patch, does this mean you use the rom file? Or you can patch the original cartridge too? (I am not playing translated versions seeing that I don't really need to). If in cartridge, I'm curious how you patch it since there is not card reader for DS cartridges right?

manga_otaku
Veteran
Completed: [KN] Saving Project: Blind? (Part One)

#60 Post by manga_otaku »

When I say patch I mean patching the clean JP rom with xDelta or xDeltaGUI (depending on the patch rom) and then putting it on the memory stick (I use an r4 but I had to update it with r4 wood for it to work).
The TMGS1&2 translation team gives you instructions on how to patch it as well, so it's pretty useful.

I think that if you have the actual game then it isn't possible to patch it...
Projects:
WIP|[KN] Day Of Reckoning|
Completed|[KN] Saving Project Blind: Part One|[KN] Saving Project Blind: Part Two|[KN] Saving Project Blind: Final Part|
Is available to help with proof-reading (Grammar freak...) Maybe voice-acting in the near future x]