Castle Chase (RPG Maker VX, Windows only)

Discuss visual novels and story-based games that didn't originate on this forum.
gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

Castle Chase (RPG Maker VX, Windows only)

#1 Post by gekiganwing »

Something I found while browsing the rpgmakerxp.net forums today -- "Castle Chase." It's a freeware game that has a dedicated website at http://www.castlechase.com . It requires a Windows computer with a decent screen resolution, processor speed, and RAM.

In this story, the player takes the role of a bored princess. To quote from the site, it's "...a short adventure style game in which you explore Castle Logelin and gather items which might help you woo your potential date." This is all portrayed through sprites.

kirakiraxpikapika

Re: Castle Chase (RPG Maker VX, Windows only)

#2 Post by kirakiraxpikapika »

interesting. I'm currently downloading it now... I like the cartoon-styled sprites.... gosh, such a nice deal for a freeware XD

Thanks for the link!

IonicMomo
Regular
Completed: Mail Order Bride
Projects: Untitled GxB game

#3 Post by IonicMomo »

I really liked this game. It's cute and well-made, and deceptively simple. I love that it does so much with so little. It reminds us that there's no need to have fancy items and controls to make a complete and satisfying story. The art are writing are both simple, but very effective. I found myself connecting with the characters, who are surprisingly well-developed for such a short game. They all seem to have hopes and fears, etc. A few gripes: a couple of the endings are nearly impossible to achieve without resorting to cheating. Also, it would've been nice if the creators had explained the controls in the beginning of the game. (It's in the Readme, but still...)
Another thing that frustrated me a little bit was all the hearts I had to break (or even things I had to steal) to get certain endings. I felt bad rejecting Gilroy and Skyler...but maybe that's how the real world works too. As for taking Dad's golden saucer...well that's just unethical. Even keeping Erol's chain was upsetting for me.
My favorite ending is Delmar's. I have all of them except Aydin's, and I'm having the hardest time with him! Any hints?
Current Project: Untitled GxB Game, Untitled NaNoRenO 2011
Completed Projects: Mail Order Bride

kyrie

#4 Post by kyrie »

Super cute game. I liked Aydin the best so far though Delmar is cute too ^^;;

for Aydin
Return the necklace, meet him at the stable and give him an apple for his horse. Help him with Erol, then reject Erol once he captures Hyde.

sporkysan
Regular

#5 Post by sporkysan »

This is a surprisingly cute game. There are some minor things that bug me, but very well done. I'm surprised how much you can do with some 8-bit styled sprites and a few pictures.

Aydin's ending is my favorite so far, but Delmar is a close second.

I'm having trouble finishing Concerto's route. At least I'm assuming he is the last route since I finished everyone else's and there aren't any named male characters left save for her brother. Any hints? The completionist inside of me is screaming.

IonicMomo
Regular

#6 Post by IonicMomo »

Thanks for the tip for Aydin!

sporkysan:
If I'm understanding you correctly, the last ending is actually Percy, the delivery guy that brings the package for Skyler.

sporkysan
Regular

#7 Post by sporkysan »

@IonicMomo
No. I've already got
Percival's
ending. The one I'm missing is the one with 6 question marks. In the list of endings in the game it is the first one in the second column, right of the "Bad" ending.

To sum up I've gotten the following endings:
Bad, Clair, Erol, Hyde, Aydin, Delmar, Gilroy, Skyler, and Percival.

I thought that the last guy might be
Concerto, the bard who needs inspiration.
So far I've
given him the flower and had Gilroy clean up the dining room so he will go practice his new song. I'm wondering if I did something wrong. I could only get Gilroy to clean up the dining room if I decided to help Hyde out. Which meant I had to talk to Clair and get the necklace from Erol. Was there something I'm not suppose to do? What do I do next? Or is the ending some other guy?

\Nish/
Regular

#8 Post by \Nish/ »

Great game, really cute too. Managed to get all the endings at last, and I think I like Skyler and Aydin the best.
Don't you dare touching Skyler and Monica, Hahm!
@sporkysan:

I think the ending you're missing is
Monica's ending.

sporkysan
Regular

#9 Post by sporkysan »

@Nish
Thanks for the tip. Now how do I go about getting that ending? I'm totally lost.

IonicMomo
Regular

#10 Post by IonicMomo »

sporkysan -
You have to leave the castle.

\Nish/
Regular

#11 Post by \Nish/ »

@sporkysan:

Yes, like IconicMomo said, you have to
Leave the castle. Not by the front gate though, by the underground passage where you met Hyde.

sporkysan
Regular

#12 Post by sporkysan »

@IconicMomo and Nish
Thanks for being so patient and helpful.

I have part of the puzzle solved.
I figured out how to use the washboard, but I couldn't figure out why I would need that.
Knowing that I need it
to escape the castle
makes a lot more sense now.

IonicMomo
Regular

#13 Post by IonicMomo »

sporkysan -
There is actually an alternate (probably easier) way to leave to castle.
Only read the next line if you want the solution! (This is the way I solved it, anyway.)
After you take the uniform, you can put it on yourself instead of giving it to Hyde (you'll have to go to your room to change), and just leave through the front gate.

sporkysan
Regular

#14 Post by sporkysan »

@IonicMomo
I never thought of that. I should try it. I escaped through
the secret entrance where you find Hyde. The washboard got me to the first button. Then the second set of buttons is the one that Hyde mentions in his ending. I used the cat to hold down the other button since I didn't have Hyde with me.
I'm pretty excited about the sequel. It looks just as fun or more fun than the original. And I like the inclusion of a villain. Or is he an evil love interest? Whatever he is.