Ever 17

Discuss visual novels and story-based games that didn't originate on this forum.
PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#16 Post by PyTom »

Have you experienced the voice.dat problem, in which voices don't work and setup failed on the fourth disk?
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

shaja
Regular

#17 Post by shaja »

I installed it without any obvious failures and played a few minutes of it, and thought it was strange there were no voices at the start...

...just found the Hirameki thread on it, and yeah, it looks like I do have the voice.dat problem.

shaja
Regular

#18 Post by shaja »

And that's a shame, because... *cough* I love Yuu.

Asakawa, that is. :)

#19 Post by Guest »

Somebody from the haeleth forums uploaded a good version of the voice files. It's at (url removed)

shaja
Regular

#20 Post by shaja »

Hirameki also has the voice file up for download now. (here)

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#21 Post by PyTom »

Now that the official version is available on the Hirameki web site, I've removed the link to the unofficial version of the voice.dat file. While it was useful when it was around, now that a fully legitimate way of getting it is available, it seems unnecessary.

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#22 Post by monele »

Can anyone tell me if the problem still arises when you make a regular install (assuming there is something else than full install ^^; ) ?

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#23 Post by PyTom »

AFAIK, the file in question failed to be burnt to the CD, so the problem should occur regardless of install. I haven't experienced this firsthand, however, as my copy was delayed due to a glitch in the zaibatsu's systems, and then the holidays intervening.

shaja
Regular

#24 Post by shaja »

FYI, I've been playing using the first voice.dat file linked (I think the Haeleth poster said it was from the Chinese version) but finally downloaded the Hirameki version yesterday.

The two files aren't identical - the Hirameki voice.dat file is slightly smaller, but contains a few more voice files, according to my parsing of the archive headers (14384 for H, 14352 for the other).

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#25 Post by monele »

Is anyone who has the game able to give an early opinion? :). Who knows, maybe I could get it as a late Christmas present ^^;

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#26 Post by PyTom »

I have it, seems to be working once the patch has been applied. I haven't made it to an ending yet, but so far it's been pretty good. Just what I've seen so far makes it rival Hourglass of Summer for my favorite of the Hirameki games... opinion subject to change if they botch the ending.

shaja
Regular

#27 Post by shaja »

I've been spending most of my free time with it for the past week, and really enjoying it.

I've just played through to my second ending, and the stat counter says I've seen just over half the game.

As the intro in the instruction booklet points out, although there is romance in the game, and the endings correspond to whichever girl you focus on, the real point is to understand the full story of what's going on - so the game as a whole is more of a mystery.

The story is pretty interesting, and includes quite a few 'intellectual' concepts. As I've hit those points in my playing, I'd be thinking "Well, there's no way this bit would have been put in by a big American game developer." :)

There are still rough points to the english conversion, of which the CD 4 problem is just the biggest. The text could have used at least one or two more checkthroughs for grammar and spelling by a native English-speaker, there are quite a few mistakes of that sort.

Overall, though, I'd say the game is definitely worth buying.

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#28 Post by monele »

I wouldn't want anything too spoilerish of course but I've read you could play as one of two protagonists. Without going into details, does it change anything or just allows you to see the thoughts of someone else ?

shaja
Regular

#29 Post by shaja »

The general sequence of events remains the same, but the specifics change, even in the parts where you're interacting with the other protagonist.

Finding out why is part of the bigger mystery, I think.

Cazel
Regular

#30 Post by Cazel »

I seem to still be having problems in actually getting my order processed to get the game (the first time I ordered AYA at the same time, but only AYA got processed), but from what I gathered from the browsing websites, the choice of protagonist affects, among other things, which of the heroines you can go after. Of the five women, there are two available for each protagonist, plus one only available after you've gotten all the others, or something like that.