Ever 17

Discuss visual novels and story-based games that didn't originate on this forum.
Lucifiel
Regular

Re: Ever 17

#121 Post by Lucifiel »

Hmmm... I finished playing this a few years ago. I actually read everything except for that obscure "photo" scenario.
Plus: most parts of the story were really good. I enjoyed the character relations and how they formed over the few days where a group of people were forced to co-operate and interact together in order to survive. I also really liked the details about Sora and found the various scientific theories, interesting though I can't account for the validity or accuracy of them. I also enjoyed all the technological details 'cos they actually bothered to explain things out, instead of rambling on and on about them like in many sci-fi/technology-based novels.

The switching of "perspectives" used for hiding secrets, layering of different realities was also pretty cool. All the different characters were kinda interesting and had their own secrets + mysteries. And the dynamic between the entire cast was very good 'cos everyone had their own traits that sparked off "certain results/moments" when interacting with others. My most favourite character was Coco, I think. She was just so sensitive and matured though on the outside, she tried her best to cling to her youth. :)

The voice-acting was very good and the voice actors played their parts rather well. It was also really good that none of the females had those "squeaky and highly excited" moments like in some of those anime. (That's why I stopped watching Ghost Hunt... the main protagonist sounded like she was constantly hyped up on steroids.) Anyways, the VAs played out their characters' emotions brilliantly and you could really feel and care for them.

Art was okay... I really liked the backgrounds though the character art was a bit plain/dated at times. The CGed images were lovely, though.

The music was okay... but I'm a bit of a sucker for synthesizer-based music, so I liked some of the pieces... lol.

Minus: I didn't like how the "time-jump parts"(that Blink winkel part?) 'cos that really weakened the story at certain points as they weren't established long enough to really work them into the plot. I didn't mind that they sorta skipped scientific logic but more like... it was "wham bam!" and not slowly layered. On the good side, it did lead to some really touching moments when certain characters were rescued at the end. On the bad side, I felt this could've been established much earlier.

Same for the part about the "evil corporation" part and what they did to Tsugumi. It was a bit too sudden and the implementation felt kinda cheesy. Plus the writing pulled far too many coincidences with that part. I found myself rolling my eyes at the "mamma" part.

Also, I'm not a big fan of melodramatic moments: touching moments= yes, overly weepy moments = no. But that's more a personal taste than an issue with the game, really.

Shadios
Regular
Projects: Our Hearts, Your Days

#122 Post by Shadios »

Okay, I just figured out something regarding to Tsugumi's age.
If her age was twenty-three during the first incident add up the years of the gap between incident's (seventeen) then she would be forty by the second incident, making her the oldest person at LeMu at the second incident. WOW! And she's the wife of a guy who's half her age and mother of two teenagers.
One of the main reasons why I love Ever17 folks. Because even the slightest detail can make you shit major bricks :D
Our Hearts, Your Days
A story of love, a story of acceptance and a story of rememberance like no other....
1st Demo Release Date: December 2011/Janurary 2012
Main Release Date: Late 2012

teankun
Regular

My review

#123 Post by teankun »

A little over a year ago I was able to get a new copy for $100. That involved checking the 3rd party vendors at Amazon regularly. After playing it off and on for that time I finally got the final ending in June while on vacation in Europe. And
…(covers face and cries)…I’m sorry, I’m sorry, but I was somewhat disappointed in the ending. (Retains composure.)
Okay, first the bad.
Well, I was mainly disappointed because there were a few moments that slightly insulted my intelligence. That and my favorite couple were Takashi and Tsugumi and there were too many things the messed up them staying together.

First of all, the Tsugumi ending:
I rolled my eyes when the sub’s battery died so soon after the warning. When was the last time you used anything that gave you a low battery warning (of things that actually give a low battery warning) five seconds before the battery dies? It doesn’t work that way! It defeats the purpose of a warning which is to give you time to resolve matters with the battery before it dies. I, however, can let this slide if it was broken or sabotaged.

But not this: how would Takashi know that only about a 50kg difference would make the sub float? A sub would weigh at least a ton and a person’s weight would be almost insignificant in comparison. And even if it were, Takashi’s weight (as well as of the buoyancy of the air in the airlock) would have been replaced by the weight of the seawater. So, I am sorry but I can’t really see his sacrifice accomplishing anything.

I also shook my head at the swimming robo-dog and Takashi suddenly coming to life with his lungs full of water (no, the cure virus cannot defy the law of conservation of mass/energy). True, I wanted him to live, but still…

One other big problem with the Coco ending is that if Coco and Ryogo Kaburaki are still a couple that would make him a pedophile and her a lolita. Otherwise, even with Tsugumi, 17 years is a long time: plenty of time to find someone else. I was also disappointed that Tsugumi and Takashi’s first reunion wasn’t depicted.

The main reason I was disappointed in Coco ending was that Blickwinkel essentially chickened out by thinking Takashi and Coco had to staying hibernation to be saved. He was so afraid of the paradox that he doomed Tsugumi to be separated from her kids, for her kids to have a s**tty childhood, as well as for thousands to die of the virus as well as of course complications of Takashi and Coco of adjusting to the future. Particularly since,
there are at least two ways to avoid the paradox.

One, granted, is theoretical and evolves parallel universes. On one episode of the History Channel’s “The Universe,” physicist Alex Filippenko said regarding the classic kill-your-grandfather/preventing-your-parents-from-meeting paradox: if you go back and time and change the past, then a new universe would just branch off of the original. In other words, going back and time and preventing your parents from meeting would be just like going back in time to a parallel universe where they never met. I know this is really out there
, but they did slightly touch on this when Kid is able to remember both swimming up to the surface with Sara and the siphon escape with You. So, why couldn’t he remember the continuity of which Coco and Takashi were rescued?

The other way to avoid the paradox is actually easier and more realistic than BW’s plan. First of all, there is one big obstacle against leaving Coco and Takahashi in hibernation, big as the entire world. In fact, that is just it. For them to stay undisturbed, the entire world would have to cooperate. If the conspiratorial pharmaceutical company would go to the trouble of hunting Tsugumi down, surely they would check on the status of the lab to make sure if it was destroyed or not, of which they would discover it was generally intact and that two people were sleeping in their beds. And if not them: others concerned with the worldwide known event such as the media, engineers, the USN, the JSDMF, the Deutschmarine, National Geographic, ect.

In any case, there does not have to be a paradox. If the whole point of repeating the incident is to trick BW, then do just that. Everyone can get rescued, Tsugumi and Takashi can raise their kids in a nuclear environment, and then they can all fake the incident together (USS Buttercup style).
I am sure most of you are thinking that I am putting way too much thought into this, but it does deal with some complicated, scientific details which is supposed make the player think and thus shifts my scientifically minded mind into high gear. Also, I wanted Tsugumi and Takashi to get together with as few complications as possible.

Speaking of which, my only other real complaint was the lack of romantic pics of Tsugumi and Takashi. For those that know me, I rather not have explicit sex depicted, which was one thing I like about Ever 17, however I would have liked to have a kiss or at least an embrace depicted as an image and not just described in text.

Finally,
I found the final breaking of the fourth wall a tad cheesy.
Now that I ripped the game to shreds, now is the stuff that I liked. Despite, the times that my mind shot ahead, for the most part the story was very well written. The plot was very intelligent and I thought
that Protagonist B actually being Protagonist A’s son was very clever right along with seven characters actually being nine.

Also, all of the characters were very enjoyable including Tsugumi (despite her being somewhat sadistic). Also even though Coco was the character I liked the least (mainly because she was 14 but acted like she was 5), I never wished for her to die or any other ill will of her (unlike some other anime characters that I really hate), and I really felt sorry for her when
she was left behind.
Also, although I was originally somewhat disappointed when I found out Takashi could not seek a romance with You and Sara
was the Kid’s sister
, I eventually appreciated the official (true love) pairings of
Takashi/Tsugumi and Hotaku/You Jr.
After all, as Py pointed out, the story is primarily a sci-fi mystery story with romantic elements, and despite the faults I already pointed out, it was a very intriguing and entertaining story. And although, the ending was not quite what I wanted, the journey getting there was worth it on its own.

So, I have no regrets buying it, and I hope someone else tries to market professional non-H games.

BTW, there are still a few questions I have at the end, such as:
who was that male character (with glasses) with You Sr. that talked to You Jr.?

I also had a technical problem. Most of the game I played on my laptop without music or voice to save space, but after I installed everything on my desktop, the game runs like molasses in January uphill. I mean it took like a full minute for one word to scroll out. Any ideas folks?

In the mean time, I will do the customary thing someone does when the ending of a anime or the like does not end the way they wanted: write a fanfic.
Last edited by teankun on Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Looking for single, adult, Asian, female Latter-Day Saint

Anime convention videos at Youtube channel

DragoonHP
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Christmas
IRC Nick: DragoonHP

#124 Post by DragoonHP »

Wow... what a review of Ever17...
teankun wrote:I also had a technical problem. Most of the game I played on my laptop without music or voice to save space, but after I installed everything on my desktop, the game runs like molasses in January uphill. I mean it took like a full minute for one word to scroll out. Any ideas folks?
Which OS are you using?
New OS's are known to have a problem in playing the old games...
teankun wrote:In the mean time, I will do the customary thing someone does when the ending of a anime or the like does not end the way they wanted: write a fanfic.
Can you please notify me when you post the fanfic? Pretty please... I will love to read any continuation of Ever17...

Shadios
Regular
Projects: Our Hearts, Your Days

#125 Post by Shadios »

That still leaves the biggest question of all....

WHY IS HOKUTO'S HAIR BLONDE?!!
Our Hearts, Your Days
A story of love, a story of acceptance and a story of rememberance like no other....
1st Demo Release Date: December 2011/Janurary 2012
Main Release Date: Late 2012

GJsoft

#126 Post by GJsoft »

*CONTENT DELETED*
Last edited by GJsoft on Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Der Tor
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Der Totengräber, There is always a Choice, Darkness
Projects: A Legend of an Ancient Evil
itch: emmanuel-goldstein

#127 Post by Der Tor »

Remember 11 is kinda a prequel to Ever 17 and i highly recommend it (just don't expect an ending that makes sense :lol: )

Of course there are also the other games from the Infinity series like 12 Riven and Never 7 - with Never 7 actually being a sequel to Ever 17.

But Remember 11 is the only one (aside from Ever 17) that has been translated to English. But there is a Fan Translation of Never 7 which i think is gonna be finished soon.
Also some friends of mine are working on a German fan-translation of Ever 17.

DragoonHP
Miko-Class Veteran

#128 Post by DragoonHP »

GJsoft wrote:Did you already listen to the Drama CD? If not, I'd warmly recommend it -- it's even translated to english.

GJ
Nope... but googling it now...
Der Tor wrote:Remember 11 is kinda a prequel to Ever 17 and i highly recommend it (just don't expect an ending that makes sense :lol: )
Yup, it doesn't... till this day I wonder about many things... I wish one of the writers of R11 will post a draft which will clear the confusion...

Der Tor
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Der Totengräber, There is always a Choice, Darkness
Projects: A Legend of an Ancient Evil
itch: emmanuel-goldstein

#129 Post by Der Tor »

Well... actually the ending of Remember 11 really is unfinished. But you can still figure out what's going on by putting together all the clues (you need to replay it a few times and get all the bad endings and really put all the little clues together and unlock all the hints).
Utsumi and of course Satoru are the key figures here... if you have unlocked enough information to figure out their background (even seemingly insignificant things like family relations to seemingly minor characters can be very important) you will then have the necessary background information to piece the puzzle together
What i think is funny is that Remember 11 came after Ever 17 and is a prequel, while Never 7 came before Ever 17 and is a sequel :D

DragoonHP
Miko-Class Veteran

#130 Post by DragoonHP »

But there are still many unanswered question where all we can do is guess and guess and guess without knowing what the real answer is...
But yes you are right, if the player gets all ending, he will have a general idea about the story...

Crusher
Regular

#131 Post by Crusher »

I started to read this novel recently...right now I'm at the part where they play "kick the can"...does the story actually get any better? I mean, so many people recommended it, but I find the characters annoying and the whole thing far too slow-paced. I always feel like I'm wasting my time when I start it. After finishing Saya no Uta in a single session this one is really a huge disappointment so far.

Desu_Cake
Veteran
Projects: Secret, Secret and Secret

#132 Post by Desu_Cake »

Crusher wrote:I started to read this novel recently...right now I'm at the part where they play "kick the can"...does the story actually get any better? I mean, so many people recommended it, but I find the characters annoying and the whole thing far too slow-paced. I always feel like I'm wasting my time when I start it. After finishing Saya no Uta in a single session this one is really a huge disappointment so far.

Which route are you on? They progress at different paces. And you haven't reached the good bits yet.
Comparing the length to Saya is a bit unfair, since Saya is one of the shortest well-known VNs out there.

Crusher
Regular

#133 Post by Crusher »

Desu_Cake wrote: Which route are you on? They progress at different paces. And you haven't reached the good bits yet.
Comparing the length to Saya is a bit unfair, since Saya is one of the shortest well-known VNs out there.
I have absolutely no idea, but it seems the Kid has a crush on Sara if that says anything about the route. Decision-wise I try to avoid screentime with You because I just can't stand the annoying voice acting. I mean, 70% of the reading time someone is just screaming around with a high-pitched voice.
It's not about the length that I complain about, it's how the time is filled. Just because a VN has a long story line it doesn't mean I'll accept wasting hours with nonsense. In that case they should just have made it shorter.
I've read longer VNs as well, but never ever was something so boring for such a long time. And since I can't stand goofy humor that makes the whole thing a headache for me.

HigurashiKira
Miko-Class Veteran

#134 Post by HigurashiKira »

Crusher wrote:
Desu_Cake wrote: Which route are you on? They progress at different paces. And you haven't reached the good bits yet.
I have absolutely no idea, but it seems the Kid has a crush on Sara if that says anything about the route. Decision-wise I try to avoid screentime with You because I just can't stand the annoying voice acting. I mean, 70% of the reading time someone is just screaming around with a high-pitched voice.
It's not about the length that I complain about, it's how the time is filled. Just because a VN has a long story line it doesn't mean I'll accept wasting hours with nonsense. In that case they should just have made it shorter.
I've read longer VNs as well, but never ever was something so boring for such a long time. And since I can't stand goofy humor that makes the whole thing a headache for me.
You might be in the Sara route, but I'm not too sure. The game does get better as time progresses, with some of the better parts happening near the end. And the Coco route is great all the way through.
I have moved to a new account. Please contact me here from now on. T/Y~

CKSqua

#135 Post by CKSqua »

Crusher wrote: It's not about the length that I complain about, it's how the time is filled. Just because a VN has a long story line it doesn't mean I'll accept wasting hours with nonsense. In that case they should just have made it shorter.
This isn't an uncommon complaint. On other forums, I've found that some people love Ever17 from start to finish while others think it's poorly paced.

If you still dislike the game after finishing one route, it's probably not for you.