Yumeria

Discuss visual novels and story-based games that didn't originate on this forum.
chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Elven Relations, Cloud Fairy, When I Rule The World
Tumblr: alextfish

Yumeria

#1 Post by chronoluminaire »

Yumeria was a quite high-profile bishoujo game released in Japan in 2003, for PlayStation 2 and I think PC. It's part visual novel / dating game, part fantasy RPG. It was high-profile because it's fully 3D rendered, but absolutely beautiful. The five main female characters are very nicely animated. You can see loads of downloads about it at http://www.yumeria.com (go to the Story or Character sections for some lovely video downloads).

But one excellent opening video, featuring my favourite character Miduki (pronounced Mizuki), is here: http://www.yumeria.com/miduki_op.html

There's been an anime made from the game, where they converted all the 3D character designs to normal 2D drawn ones. Look here for the 2D anime versions of the characters:
http://www.bs-i.co.jp/anime/yumeria/

Which do people prefer?

(The anime has just started playing in Japan this week. But no fansub group has released a subbed version of the first episode yet... :cry: )

Jerails
Veteran

#2 Post by Jerails »

I honestly think the game would be a bit more fun. But, seeing as how I'm not capable of obtaining any of these items, I'm not gonna be able to come to a distinct conclusion. But, downloading all the freebies does help satisfy my desire to at least have a look-see at what I'm gonna miss out on. Once again, I favor the game to the anime.
It's been a while, folks!

Ecchi Tiff
Regular

#3 Post by Ecchi Tiff »

As far as the sub goes, the raws were just released a few days ago - since it's not a particularly high-profile anime, no sub group is rushing to get it out. Wait a few days, it'll be subbed eventually (heck, Ani-Kraze even managed to sub Area 88 within four or five days).
Kyra: "You can kiss my acetabulum!"
Lord Pathos: "Hmm, tempting offer, coming from a cute girl like you."
Kyra: "Ug, I think I'm gonna be sick. Tom, let's get this quy, quick!"

chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran

#4 Post by chronoluminaire »

Not particularly high-profile? *shrug* Depends where you look, I guess. Yumeria the game was quite hyped when it came out over the summer, I thought. As for the anime, well... I've been looking forward to it :cry: :wink:

aliceunderksies

#5 Post by aliceunderksies »

I have to say the anime looks a lot better than the game, at least as far as art is concerned. I've never much liked that 2D/3D the game has. Game still looks cute, though.

Anemone

#6 Post by Anemone »

The PS2 game was certainly hyped a bit, but the reception at release wasn't great (poor sales, average reviews). The one impressions report (in English) that I've read was rather negative.

Oh well. I'm still interested in trying it myself, but I doubt that'll ever happen.

chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran

#7 Post by chronoluminaire »

I personally *much* prefer the art style of the game to the anime. That's partly because the character designs have subtly changed... in the anime the faces all look slightly more pointed, more scornful, where the game had them a bit softer, more rounded, more innocent-looking.

The anime itself is turning out to be definitely *not* innocent :shock: It's deliberately placing itself in the "harem anime" mould, with assorted females hanging on to this SociallyIneptMaleMainCharacter for no adequately explained reason. It's very dodgy, but also highly entertaining. I kept finding myself laughing hysterically at it, even if often crying "That's completely ridiculous..."

Jerails
Veteran

#8 Post by Jerails »

Already everyone, study that guide and we'll have a test later on...Heh, it's a good read. Now I know why all those girls cling to em...
It's been a while, folks!