Idol Manager - looking for a writer (kickstarter)

Forum rules
Recruiting Rules: (1) Only recruit if you have an actual, clearly defined project you're recruiting for. Don't recruit if you're an organization that may have a project at some time in the future. (2) Tell people what kind of work you have for them. For commissions, also tell them how much work it will probably be. (3) Tell people how much work on your project is already complete. (4) Always open recruitment threads in the correct subforum - Free, Commercial or Paid Work.
sadambober
Projects: Idol Manager
Soundcloud: sadambober

Idol Manager - looking for a writer (kickstarter)

#1 Post by sadambober »

About the game
Genre: business sim
Engine: Unity
Platforms: pc, mac, linux. ps vita is possible

Idol Manager is a semi-realistic idol management sim with a strong focus on controversial issues that real life Japanese producers have to deal with.
You can start managing an existing group or create your own from scratch. In order to make them a #1 group in Japan you’ll need to successfully balance Business and Relationships.

Business:
  • When making decisions, producing singles, tv shows, etc., you have to think of what audience this will appeal to: 40 y/o hardcore guys are happy to spend a lot of money on your group, but appealing to them might alienate the larger casual audience
  • Working, training and doing promotions are important, but don’t overwork your idols!
  • Want to help the girls to improve their singing skill faster? Upgrade your studio and hire a vocal teacher.
  • Unlock and hold special events like big concerts, tours and popularity voting.
  • Scandals and accidents will bring a lot of attention to you group. Your decisions will determine if you gain anything from it or make it a PR disaster.
Relationships:
  • Dozens of teenage girls in a highly competitive environment is not an easy thing to deal with. They can become friends and enemies, form cliques to plot against someone or even start dating.
    Example: you just held an audition and found this super talented girl. You immediately start promoting her and give her a center position in the new single. Some girls will hate it and as a result they’ll start hating her and/or you.
  • Talk to the girls on the phone. Sometimes they want to discuss their problems, sometimes they just want to have a chat. You’re their boss, but eventually you can become friends.
  • Sometimes they’ll try to move past friendship, but keep in mind that you’re still their boss, and they can be quite young, so dating them can lead to.. interesting results. Or not.
Screenshots
(the text and the pictures are placeholders)
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

About the development
I’ve been working on this game for the last 9 months and I’m at the point where I’m confident enough to get other people involved.
The game is at the ~12K lines of code, which doesn’t seem much for 9 months, but I’ve been cutting and changing stuff a lot.
Most of the systems already work, we just need to fill the game with content and balance it.
I’m satisfied with the UI for now, but maybe I’ll want to change it later.
No art or writing has been done yet.

The plan is to make enough content for a kickstarter and launch it around March. If it’s successful, then we should be able to finish the game in another ~9 months.

About me
My name is Max, I’m a 23 Russian freelance web developer. As you could guess, I’m pretty into Japanese idols, lol

About your work
Most of your work will consist of writing “events” and “dialogues”.

Event: scandals, accidents, etc. There’s a description of the event and a bunch of options on how to react to it.
Dialogue: branching conversation with a girl on the phone.

Both events and dialogues can be triggered by something (e.g., if a girl has too many obsessive fans, then there’s a chance of triggering a “stalker” event) or be completely random. You can get creative with the effects of decisions too, I can program pretty much anything.

The biggest challenges are coming up with the ideas (you’ll probably have to do some research on idol-related scandals, news etc), and writing interesting branching dialogues in the format of text messages.
It’s also important to write without penalizing “evil” decisions. Playing as a greedy asshole should be a legitimate strategy.

You’ll also be in charge of blog posts and a trailer script.

If you’re interested, post some info about yourself in this thread, or you can send me an email at sadambober@gmail.com The important points are:
  • Do you know anything about real or 2D idols? It’s ok if you don’t, but if the idea of watching hours upon hours of cute girls doing cute things seems horrifying to you, then you’ll probably won’t have a fun time developing this game
  • Examples of your work
Feel free to ask any questions.
Last edited by sadambober on Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ghost #9
Regular
Projects: Imaginarium
Organization: AlteRealm

Re: Idol Manager - looking for a writer (kickstarter)

#2 Post by Ghost #9 »

Since this is going to be a commercial project, do you have any information on payment expectations?

Simulation games aren't generally my cup of tea, but I find all of the effort you went to to make this as realistic as possible rather compelling. I'm looking forward to seeing how this develops! Your screenshots look promising as well. Good luck with everything. : )

Saltome
Veteran
Deviantart: saltome

#3 Post by Saltome »

Hmm, any IM@S fans around?
Actually this project has peeked my interest. I get the feel it may be too complex, but I'd have to see first hand. So seeing an actual demo would be nice.

Now about me... I have a variety of skills although I don't know if any of them are worth hiring.
I haven't worked on much that's even worth mentioning, but perhaps you would be interested in hiring someone inexperienced for free.
I'm best at playing games, consequentially I'm very good at finding bugs and identifying potentially bad design decisions. With my programming understanding I am good at tracking down said bugs and fixing them, or at least devising a solution if I lack the technical knowledge to implement them. I'm generally a vast source of ideas.

As far as actual writing goes, I don't know how good I really am. Then again maybe I am, at least I can spell right. I'm not a professional or anything, but at least my friends seem to enjoy seeing my improvised stories. To be honest I feel like my social skills aren't sufficient to write good dialogues, and I fear I may not always write dialogue matching the character personality, but as long as there is someone to make sure any mistakes I make get caught I should be fine.
Since you asked for a examples, I could refer you to that little 10k words scribble of mine, which is in the public domain. But considering how much my style changed in the process of writing that, and how outdated it is, doing that might be a disservice.
Deviant Art: Image
Discord: saltome
Itch: Phoenix Start

sadambober

#4 Post by sadambober »

Ghost #9 wrote:Since this is going to be a commercial project, do you have any information on payment expectations?
I'm thinking at least $10 per dialogue plus royalties, hopefully more, but it all depends on the kickstarter.
Saltome wrote:Actually this project has peeked my interest. I get the feel it may be too complex, but I'd have to see first hand. So seeing an actual demo would be nice.
Thanks for applying! I'll be setting up some stuff for a week or two and then contact everyone

As for complexity, it's kinda similar to Game Dev Tycoon or Democracy 3 where you can dig into numbers if you want, but you don't have to

Ghost #9
Regular
Projects: Imaginarium
Organization: AlteRealm

#5 Post by Ghost #9 »

sadambober wrote: I'm thinking at least $10 per dialogue plus royalties, hopefully more, but it all depends on the kickstarter.
Per...dialogue? I'm not quite certain I understand. What constitutes a single dialogue? Per scene? Per route? Per character? I can't imagine you mean per actual screen of dialogue, because that would be a super high rate.

Omniknight
Veteran

#6 Post by Omniknight »

PM Sent ;)

Shinoki
Veteran
Completed: tender feelings like water, Follower A, Moon Archer Shooting Stars, Heart's Blight, from that moment she neglected the world
Projects: Pomegranate Fruit
itch: 4noki

#7 Post by Shinoki »

I probably can't write, but well, I can give a little insight on idols (well, AKB type stuff I guess since you're using the Hakata (HKT48) group's pics as placeholders). I think your project sounds interesting. Best of luck!

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#8 Post by gekiganwing »

sadambober wrote: Idol Manager is a semi-realistic idol management sim with a strong focus on controversial issues that real life Japanese producers have to deal with.
Please keep in mind that a few similar products exist in English:

* The freeware game Idolcraft. It's simulation-based and relatively worksafe.
* Fan translations of the three Idolmaster SP games. Since Perfect Sun is the closest to being complete of the three, I've tried to play it. My impression is that it's both a rhythm game and a simulation game. There's no magic or science fiction, but at the same time, I'm not sure if I could call it realistic.
* Hyperdimension Neptunia: Producing Perfection. This Vita game is reasonably similar to the main line of Idolmaster games, and has an official translation.
* I might be forgetting one or two others...
sadambober wrote: Sometimes they’ll try to move past friendship, but keep in mind that you’re still their boss, and they can be quite young, so dating them can lead to.. interesting results. Or not.
Consider whether you'll benefit by letting the main character be a woman who can act as an elder sister and a mentor figure. This might increase the scope of the project and make finishing it overwhelming. On the other hand, it could offer benefits such as potentially passing the Bechdel Test, and avoiding an audience-alienating premise.

sadambober

#9 Post by sadambober »

Ghost #9 wrote:Per...dialogue? I'm not quite certain I understand. What constitutes a single dialogue? Per scene? Per route? Per character? I can't imagine you mean per actual screen of dialogue, because that would be a super high rate.
For example, a girl asks you for a fashion advice. You chat for a bit and depending on your choices she can get +/- to one of her stats.
So a writer needs to come up with an idea, plan out all the choices and their effects, and then write the dialogue. I think that's at least an hour of work, so I'm basing it on what artists usually charge per commission. And there's also a risk of not getting paid at all if the kickstarter fails.
gekiganwing wrote:Please keep in mind that a few similar products exist in English:
Yeah, I know about these. The main difference here is that I want to go for really dark behind the scenes stuff that idol games and anime never cover
gekiganwing wrote:Consider whether you'll benefit by letting the main character be a woman who can act as an elder sister and a mentor figure.
This should be quite easy actually, so I'll think about that. We could also make a spin-off about managing a boy group if this game turns out okay, but that's me being an optimist

Omniknight
Shinoki
Thanks, noted!

Tracy Bullet
Regular

#10 Post by Tracy Bullet »

This sounds like the kind of game I would buy to play. I like management sims. There aren't enough good ones out there, if you ask me. Your premise sounds interesting. I can't say I know much about idols, but if my hours of research would be watching cute girls do cute things, it does not sound like much of a bother.
I can probably get you a recommendation or two from previous employers as far as my writing goes, or I could email a sample of the size of your choice and new or a reused one also at your choice.
Before you consider me, you should know that I ask a lot of questions and often look for my employers to point me in the direction of where to go. So I guess this is me asking if we'll be getting a list of all the conversations you would like to be made, and would you prefer to guid the outcomes yourself instead of letting us go free birdie as well as informing you that I might be a hard person to work with if the answer both times is a firm no. (Not that I won't still try, but, uh, other people… Why do I not quit talking when I'm ahead. If I don't make it in, I'll still certainly be downloading this game.)

juggalojohn
Completed: Escape from the Ronin
Projects: Photo Circle,Game of Life
Organization: Box Studios
Github: juggalojohn

#11 Post by juggalojohn »

This looks like a really cool concept. I'm currently tied up with other projects but if you need some beta testers further down the line I would love to help.

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#12 Post by SundownKid »

Just wanted to say that the typical way of compensating freelance writers is actually cents per word rather than per sentence. This is because sentences are too variable in size to give an accurate price assessment. For example, you would offer "my budget is max 3 cents per word" or just offer a flat rate like "My budget is $1500 for 50,000 words". This applies to dialogues, too, since they are all part of the same script and would be submitted at the same time.

Kitteas
Projects: Personal Projects
Deviantart: trythesky.deviantart
Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.c

#13 Post by Kitteas »

Hello!

I would be interested. : )

References, I can try and get together, although I haven't done work of this kind in a while. I had done writing however, and I've... Written to the president after being outed for my skill in that area. I can provide proof of the letter I received in return from the president... If that counts. Haha.

As for an about me, I'm currently a psychology/law major with a love for videogames, particularly simulations (like otome) RPGS both Western and Eastern, although the latter inspired me more as a youth in terms of gameplay and style.

I also do voice acting, somewhat with examples provided here: https://soundcloud.com/kitteas/
Was unsure of its relevance, but voicing female is something I can easily do.

My avatar is a photo of myself, and I live in Los Angeles. Nice to meet you. If we work together, due to my lack of references, I'm more than willing to create a piece of dialogue of your choice and then you can deem from there if it's to your liking - and if you'd continue to enjoy working together with me.

Either way, nice to meet you! Happy Holidays. : )

curry nochi rice
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Delicatessen, Whom to Notice, Start of Something, Love Sorcery
Organization: Circle Cosine
IRC Nick: Curry
itch: project-rothera

#14 Post by curry nochi rice »

I'm a
Idolmaster, Love Live!, Wake Up Girls!, White Album,
SKE48, Nogizaka46,
StylipS, ClariS
fan. A.k.a a wotaku.

I'd give you a ruble for the sasshi placeholder. And wow this project reminds me of that one project I worked on four years ago. It was also an idol game... but it went nowhere.

As a fellow fan, I can offer you some degree of critique when it comes to the mechanics (I'm a programmer first of all... and not a writer). Well I can give you insights on scandals **coughs **bunshun.

Anyway since I'm busy with my own project as of the moment. I wish you good luck on this one... but I could link you up to some people.
You know fans these days they write fanfics... real good fanfics.
Personal (R-13) | Now at IndieDB | Circle Cosine's itch.io
I wanna be done.