ARTIST!!! wanted for project in early stages

Forum rules
Recruiting Rules: (1) Only recruit if you have an actual, clearly defined project you're recruiting for. Don't recruit if you're an organization that may have a project at some time in the future. (2) Tell people what kind of work you have for them. For commissions, also tell them how much work it will probably be. (3) Tell people how much work on your project is already complete. (4) Always open recruitment threads in the correct subforum - Free, Commercial or Paid Work.
vedicardi
Regular

ARTIST!!! wanted for project in early stages

#1 Post by vedicardi »

Hi, my name is Connie, and since 2011 I've been, on my own, workshopping some ideas for a visual novel. After meeting my writing buddy Isan last year, we finally started an idea and we have been in the early planning stages since we've met. So far we have all of our characters completed, outlines for each characters path, a broad story overview, and more. There is not much left to do besides starting to write the story proper, but before we do that, I think it'd be good to have an artist. It's likely time for us to start getting an artist involved as we decided what places would be best for CGs and so forth. We think it'd be nice to have an artist that not only does the art but helps contribute to the story and more (though not necessarily doing the actual writing work unless they wanted to or something). We aren't just asking for commission work here, for you to do this and that and then be done, but to take part and make this together as a team!

As for the plot of the project I will give a quick overview; The plot is set in a setting that is VERY familiar, but doesn't necessarily stick to expectations. You play a disillusioned young woman who has moved back to her home town after being gone for four years. At her new school, she tries out for the light music club, being a talented guitar player, but is turned down. It is at this point that the last person you would expect begins to give her the time of day, more attention than anyone else, and so begins her journey.

Unfortunately I can't give away too much since it would ruin a lot, but it is definitely not going to be your standard romance visual novel, though it may appear as such at first. No it won't be a mystery game, or involve the supernatural, but greatly diverges from your standard high school romance eroge. If you enjoy subverting expectations and would like to see something unique and unexpected out of visual novels, I'd say we are the project for you. While I do enjoy VNs a good deal myself, there are a lot of things about them that I find very odd or distasteful and I want to use this project as a commentary of sorts on those issues I have.

- high school setting
- music club setting
- female player character
- two females, two males (romances for all four)
- extra ending for completing all four paths
- plot conflict: competition with the light music club
- very subversive paths, nothing is quite what it seems at first (to the player that is, this is not a mystery, mind you)

I'm planning to release two versions of this game, one for free and one paid (the only difference between the two being the soundtrack, which I am making). That way anyone can play the game, and those who enjoy it can support us. The money will be split among all of us evenly, or if we decide to do something else, go back towards our next game as well as a bit to ourselves.

Anyway, if you are interested, just PM me here or you can email me at
vedicardi "at" gmail.com
Last edited by vedicardi on Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I murder for moe.

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

Re: Programmer + Artist wanted for project in early stages

#2 Post by Taleweaver »

vedicardi wrote:I'm planning to release two versions of this game, one for free and one paid (the only difference between the two being the soundtrack, which I am making). That way anyone can play the game, and those who enjoy it can support us. The money will be split among all of us evenly, or if we decide to do something else, go back towards our next game as well as a bit to ourselves. The fact you don't HAVE to pay for it is why it is in this subforum.
It's not the question whether people are required to pay for it, it's whether the people creating it can expect some compensation for their work. To which, in your case, the answer is yes. Thus, Commercial and looking for partners.

Moved. Also, please remember to allow questions asked publicly in this thread. The LSF encourages public discussion.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

vedicardi
Regular

#3 Post by vedicardi »

Oh yes, of course, anyone can ask any questions they like. Since compensation is based on a percentage of what are essentially donations I didn't consider it commercial per say but you're the mod! Thanks for clearing up that rule for me. Anyway, yeah if anyone has any questions about this at all I'll divulge as much as I can publicly. If you're interested and need to know more than that before getting invested that can, of course, be discussed over PM or whatever form of communication you'd like.
I murder for moe.

vedicardi
Regular

#4 Post by vedicardi »

Found an artist for the time being, still looking for a programmer or whatever coder whatever
I murder for moe.

deliciumartis
Regular

#5 Post by deliciumartis »

I'm knocking a few projects around, waiting for someone to get back to me on an initial work on their project, a couple of minigames for someone else, and my own project, but if you need a coder I'm willing.
"What bothers me is, nothin' does."
--The dixie flatline

vedicardi
Regular

#6 Post by vedicardi »

Yeah, PM me buddy!
I murder for moe.

vedicardi
Regular

#7 Post by vedicardi »

I don't know if this is really OK or whatever, but I want to BUMP this ol' thread back up. We are still looking for someone to take the lead on code.
I murder for moe.

Zetsubou
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: See my signature
Github: koroshiya
itch: zetsuboushita

#8 Post by Zetsubou »

Perhaps it would help if you elaborated on what you want the programmer to do.
Do you expect them to type in your dialogue for you?
Write mini-games? Character animations?
Code in the game's GUI?
I realize you might not know what exactly they'll be doing, since the game is in the early stages, but some details would help discern the right person for the job. (Too difficult for novices? Too easy to be of interest to pros? Rush work? Long-term with lax deadlines?)
Finished games
-My games: Sickness, Wander No More, Max Massacre, Humanity Must Perish, Tomboys Need Love Too, Sable's Grimoire, My Heart Grows Fonder, Man And Elf, A Dragon's Treasure, An Adventurer's Gallantry
-Commissions: No One But You, Written In The Sky, Diamond Rose, To Libertad, Catch Canvas, Love Ribbon, Happy Campers, Wolf Tails

Working on:
Sable's Grimoire 2

https://zetsubou.games

Darim
Regular
Organization: Setsuna Ken
Github: SetsunaKen

#9 Post by Darim »

Yeah a little bit more information for the coders would be great :D

rideka

#10 Post by rideka »

hello, do you still need an artist? Feel free to check my gallery at http://ridekasama.deviantart.com/gallery/

vedicardi
Regular

#11 Post by vedicardi »

Zetsubou wrote:Perhaps it would help if you elaborated on what you want the programmer to do.
Do you expect them to type in your dialogue for you?
Write mini-games? Character animations?
Code in the game's GUI?
I realize you might not know what exactly they'll be doing, since the game is in the early stages, but some details would help discern the right person for the job. (Too difficult for novices? Too easy to be of interest to pros? Rush work? Long-term with lax deadlines?)
Oh sorry I never saw this! It should just be barely above novice difficulty. No rushing needed as of yet, plenty of time to figure out what we need. Typing in the dialog, no, but for the majority everything else. The only thing we ask is you actually have some dedication to the project, finish things in a somewhat timely fashion and stay in communication. IE don't say "I'll do this" and then a full month later have not even touched it. I hope that's not asking too much. I wouldn't say it's "too easy" for pros because my partner has a lot of ideas for more complicated systems for the game, but they are systems we are only going to try to implement if we can find someone capable of doing them. If someone can't do these complicated things, then that's okay, we still want someone to do the base features.

Thanks for the question!
I murder for moe.

vedicardi
Regular

Re: ARTIST!!! wanted for project in early stages

#12 Post by vedicardi »

We do have programmers now, just looking for an artist !!!!
I murder for moe.

vedicardi
Regular

#13 Post by vedicardi »

Oh, it appears I wasn't quite clear. We are just looking for CG/Sprite artists! Looking for something with a particularly japanese-influenced style. It's just my preference.
I murder for moe.

Kairui
Regular
Projects: Tsun Rising, A Diver's Tail
Tumblr: kairui-chan
Deviantart: kairui-chan

#14 Post by Kairui »

Hello, I may be interested in your project. I just had a few questions.

How many sprites are you going to be using in total? (of course, at least 4 for the main characters)
About how many CG's do you have planned thus far?
Do you have outfits already thought out, or would the character design be up to the artist?

Thanks~ c:

I'm an artist
Website

vedicardi
Regular

#15 Post by vedicardi »

Hey, thanks for the interest and the questions!

What I should make clear is, since we don't have a budget to pay artists up front, we are very flexible as we understand it can be hard to work under such a condition.
In terms of sprites, I'd say perhaps 60, maybe a few more, maybe less.
In terms of CGs? Hm, the range there is much bigger. In theory we could work with no CGs at all, but in terms of scenes we feel NEED them I don't think there are more than ten. The more the merrier, however!
In terms of outfits, we do have some ideas, but we are very open to cross-contributing (writers working on script, coders working on plot, etc) and I am very open to the input/ideas of others, so if you or anyone had an idea of what a character would look like I would love to hear and see about it at the least. So in other words, if the artist wants to be told what the characters should look like, we can do that. If they want to take that on themselves, I'm very open to that as well.

I know that's pretty broad, but we "cater" to our team since it's a small, tight-knit group. Anyway, I like the art there in your gallery and it's good fit so I hope those conditions work for you in particular. Thankz
I murder for moe.