◁ DO NOT CROSS ▷ is looking for a writer to join our team.

Forum rules
Recruiting Rules: (1) Only recruit if you have an actual, clearly defined project you're recruiting for. Don't recruit if you're an organization that may have a project at some time in the future. (2) Tell people what kind of work you have for them. For commissions, also tell them how much work it will probably be. (3) Tell people how much work on your project is already complete. (4) Always open recruitment threads in the correct subforum - Free, Commercial or Paid Work.
ZeroTec

◁ DO NOT CROSS ▷ is looking for a writer to join our team.

#1 Post by ZeroTec »

Hi there,

we are currently working on a indie game project called ◁ DO NOT CROSS ▷. It's a mixture of classic adventure, puzzle game, visual novel and revolves around the life and work of a crime scene cleaner. Not your typical VN with strong japanese influence, just the contrary ^^. The team consists of me (i came up with the concept and am responsible for the art) Siilk (coder) and Pedro (musician). We are looking for a writer to join our ranks, somebody who is a native English speaker and is especially experienced when it comes to writing dialogues.

Here is a quick summary of our project:

------------------------------

◁ DO NOT CROSS ▷ is a game about the work of a forensic cleaner. It's aimed to be slow paced single player game with a unique premise and dark atmosphere. Your job is to clean up the aftermath of different crime scenes, which gives you the chance to look trough the belongings of the victims and learn more about their past.

Most games you play feature a hero who is confronted with some problems he has to overcome. He sets out for a journey to fight his inner demons or external dangers to reach a happy end. It's a well established formula, but very few games dare to depart from this path. DNC is set out to head into a different direction. It will revolve around the downfall of the protagonist. He starts out as a rather normal individual. The more time he spends alone with his job the more he becomes fascinated by the dark subject matter. This development won't stay without consequences, and will be the central pillar of the story.

Or goal is to create a game with an melancholic atmosphere with an unique approach to storytelling. You'll spend a lot of time alone in the apartments of crime victims. This gives you the chance to find out more about them by looking through their personal belongings. It's an indirect approach to tell a story, but it offers a lot of freedom.

Gameplay-wise it will be a mixture of different genres. It resembles a classic adventure game that departs from the point&click formula. The controls will be optimized for controller input to establish a better connection between player and protagonist.The gameplay will consist of different parts:
  • crimescene cleanup (different "minigames" which you have to complete, gameplay has similarities to "trauma center")
  • gathering clues (investigate the crime scene to find clues about the crime and the background of the characters, mixture of adventure & puzzle gameplay)
  • solving crimes (combine the gathered clues to solve the crime)
Only the cleanup will be mandatory, it's up to you to investigate and find out more.

------------------------------

We are developing this game with GM:S and are currently working on a playable demo which we plan to release this summer. It's not mandatory that you have gamedev experience or know how to work with GM:S. The most important thing is, that you are motivated and feel confident that you are the right person to write for such a setting. It's not a lighthearted romantic comedy.... it will have a dark and grim tone and the goal is to create something that departs from well know forumlas. The game will feature some disturbing themes, therefore we are looking for somebody who is 20+. I think it takes a certain maturity to do this properly.

Your responsibilities would be to help us refine the rough layout of the story-branches, come up with interesting background stories for the different victims, write dialogues as well as files to progress the story.

We can't offer any payment at this point in time, but our goal is a commercial release with revenue share.Release of the game is planned for 2016.

You can checkout our detailed devlog over here:

TIG Devlog

or our IndieDB page over here:

IndieDB Page

If you think this could be the right project for you, just post a reply in this thread and contact me.

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

Re: ◁ DO NOT CROSS ▷ is looking for a writer to join our tea

#2 Post by Taleweaver »

You sure got me hooked. I'd be happy to get a shot at this project - I very much enjoy stories that are out of the ordinary and a little darker and more mature than usual. A look at my previous VNs should show you a little of where my strengths lie.

Question: how much text are we talking about? Since ◁ DO NOT CROSS ▷ is very much a game where the art carries much of the story, do you still want a full novel-length script to back it (80k+ words), or are you looking for text that merely supports the experience? I realize that writing the actual plot is a part of the writer's job here, but when it comes to the brunt of the work, what would I be looking at?
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

chaslo

#3 Post by chaslo »

i have worked in previously darker themes, send me a message to samuraichaslo@hotmail.com and we can start working

Hazel-Bun
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Sunrise: A Dieselpunk Fantasy & Ultramarine: A Seapunk Adventure
Projects: Thrall: A Dark Otome Visual Novel
Organization: AURELIA LEO, LLC
Tumblr: authorzknight
itch: authorzknight

#4 Post by Hazel-Bun »

Below is a link to my writing thread! Would love to hop on board if my style fits.
Black bookstore owner. Diverse fiction reviewer. Bestselling romance author. Award-winning fiction editor. Quite possibly a werewolf, ask me during the next full moon.

trevers18
Regular
Projects: As Fate Would Have It

#5 Post by trevers18 »

I have experience with post-apocalyptic writing and can easily write dark subject matter. Plus, I love psychological horrors like this! :D The link to my writing thread is below. Go ahead and ignore the prices for everything except the security deposit. Whether or not you choose me, I can't wait to play this!

GreyWolfXx
Regular
IRC Nick: Grey

#6 Post by GreyWolfXx »

Was this made using Ren'Py? Silly question. Oh, GM:S?

"We have been to the moon, we have charted the depths of the ocean and the heart of the atom,
but we have a fear of looking inward to ourselves because we sense that is where
all the contradictions flow together." -- Terrence Mckenna

TheOwnedBagel
Completed: Engulfed
Organization: Freelancing

#7 Post by TheOwnedBagel »

I sent you a PM if you're still looking for a writer.

Kuroi_Usagi
Regular
Projects: AuL, I am Succubus, 74901
Organization: Self
Soundcloud: ragingwhiterabbit
itch: kuroi-usagi.itch.io

#8 Post by Kuroi_Usagi »

The link contains samples of my writing. If they suit what you are looking for in a writer, send me a message.

http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 63&t=34122

hoblok

#9 Post by hoblok »

I'm a working writer, mostly copyediting. I've written a few prose novels and short stories, plus a bunch of screenplays. I have a few short stories and a load of articles published. A short film of mine is entering production at an indie studio. Right now I'm working on storyediting for a greenlit feature film in preproduction. If you're still looking for a writer for this project, please send me a PM with your email and I'll send along some samples.

I studied forensics in university, and worked for a while as a forensic anthropology assistant, mostly in the lab, but also some fieldwork. I know tons about forensics, from odontology to taphonomy. I also know my way around a crime scene, both in terms of legal procedure and investigator culture. I didn't pursue forensics because the work got to me, so I know the emotional side of things. I understand exactly the tone and approach you're seeking.