Aspen - Looking for VAs!

Forum rules
Recruiting Rules: (1) Only recruit if you have an actual, clearly defined project you're recruiting for. Don't recruit if you're an organization that may have a project at some time in the future. (2) Tell people what kind of work you have for them. For commissions, also tell them how much work it will probably be. (3) Tell people how much work on your project is already complete. (4) Always open recruitment threads in the correct subforum - Free, Commercial or Paid Work.
quinnsea
Regular
Completed: Birch Sapling
Projects: Aspen, Baleen
Organization: Koimarina Games
IRC Nick: quinnsea
Tumblr: bonnievoyage
Soundcloud: nishiikigoi
itch: koimarina

Aspen - Looking for VAs!

#1 Post by quinnsea »

I've been working on this for a while, and even though I have some voice actors in mind I figured it wouldn't hurt to keep my options open.

Plot Summary

3018, downtown Chicago has never been more lively. Technology is very far advanced, robots not only becoming a part of daily life but also treated with as much respect as citizens. If anyone is looked down upon, it's the monsters. Mysterious creatures gifted with superpowers that are easier to fear than admire. You play as Jacqueline, a monster from a small town that just barely has their powers under control. After making mistakes in the past hurting people with their powers, it’s now Jacqueline’s mission to do everything they can to use them for good.

Auditioning

Right now, I'm only looking for three male voice actors. One of them should also be able to sing and read sheet music. But if you're still interested in being cast as an extra or side character in the full version male, female, agender, or otherwise, let me know by sending me your demo reel! Just make sure you make it clear in your e-mail!
  • When submitting your audition, I'd like the title of your e-mail to be formatted something like this?: [Aspen] CharacterName Audition
  • Please include your Lemmasoft username along with the name you'd like to be credited under!
  • You can include your demo reel in addition to your audition lines.
I'll be accepting auditions up until January 1st.

Compensation

Pretty much 80-90% of all of my funding towards making the game is going to be obtained through the Kickstarter I plan on launching when the demo is good enough to throw into the public eye. My main focus is getting enough to pay my artists, but based on how much everyone is asking for full voice acting might not be too far of a stretch goal. If that ends up being the case, I'll keep in touch!

Whether or not the Kickstarter makes enough money to allow full voice acting, I do plan on compensating everyone appropriately once it's complete. But in terms of the demo, I can't compensate anyone right away. As it stands, only a small fraction of the 4,000-5,000 word demo will really have any voice acting. It probably won't be much more than their first lines and some vague noises. (Laughter, thinking hums, etc.)

Characters

(Keep in mind that most of these pictures are just concept art! It won't reflect the style of the full version, and the designs are subject to change!)

Riley
Reporter of the Cypress newspaper. Riley is ultimately a failure as a journalist, focusing more on his own desires to see superheroes and villains in action. He's typically rude and self-driven, only concerned with his own happiness while ignoring the feelings of others. He values finding new adventures in life more than anything else. Has a bias in favor of people with powers.
Voice Type: Middle to mid-high range. Generally has a relaxed and casually joking tone, but can have a sharper/quicker voice when he's getting impatient or excited. Outside of those variances, his emotions are relatively subtle. Prone to getting lost in his own speech and forgetting long words mid-sentence.
Lines:
  • Riley Blake: Reporter for Cypress. Shut it. I gotta get through this interview quick before my flight leaves.
  • I'll pass, I'm not really into tentacles. (Say it with confidence. Play it up like it isn't a joke.)
  • Did you see the way they just lifted that... that, uh... that- that rafter like it was nothing? (This is an instance where he gets kind of lost, forgetting the right word.)
Prism
An android programmed with the purpose of protecting the citizens of Chicago. Prism takes his duty very seriously while understanding that many humans still consider himself beneath them. He's polite and attentive to other peoples' needs physically, but can falter emotionally. Is quick to judge others based on their actions. Also has a tendency to act on impulse, putting the people first.
Voice Type: Middle to mid-low range. Speaks somewhat slowly and enunciates clearly. Generally approaches people with a cheerful tone, regardless of how uncomfortable he's feeling! Bonus points if you can add a subtle metallic/robotic effect to your voice, but not required.
Lines:
  • My name is Valgus, but most people call me Prism. I rescued you during Shriek's last attack. (Intended to be said with surprise and joy.)
  • I'm only doing what I'm programmed to do, calling me a hero is a bit of a stretch... (Imagine this said with a nervous smile?)
  • You don't have to do this, Jacqueline. Really, we can get there another way. (This is more surprised worry, like 'Oh, geez pl-please get down from the roof...')
Cyan
The lead singer-songwriter of Jacqueline's favorite band: Subspectrum. Cyan, along with the rest of his band, is famous for acting melodramatic and not getting along well with most... anyone outside of the band. He is cleaning up his act, behaving in a more relaxed way when talking to fans but a lot of other celebrities consider this change too late. Has a tendency to be casually depressing.
Voice Type: High range. Always sounds tired, but frequently speaks in a bright sing-song voice anyways. He does take his work as a musician seriously, and he's always thinking about new melodies or how every day conversation could make a good song. Often sounds like he's spacing out. You are expected to know how to sing and read sheet music if you plan on auditioning for Cyan. You should also include a sample of your singing! Any song is fine!
Lines:
  • They usually think I'm really annoying! ...Or I think they're really annoying~ (The 'or' might start off with a bit of a chuckle.)
  • Nyahaha! Kehehe~ (These are supposed to be two different laughs, the first with much more energy than the second.)
  • When I hear them cheering at our concerts, I feel like there’s nothing we can’t do!
Updates
11/9/2017: Added more specific instructions for lines and voice types. Included Prism's demo sprite.
ImageImage

quinn / 26 / qa analyst, game design hobbyist
icon by church