[UPDATED 4/29/19] Refraction--Writer Seeking Artist(s), Composer(s), and Other(s) for a Visual Novel Project

Forum rules
Recruiting Rules: (1) Only recruit if you have an actual, clearly defined project you're recruiting for. Don't recruit if you're an organization that may have a project at some time in the future. (2) Tell people what kind of work you have for them. For commissions, also tell them how much work it will probably be. (3) Tell people how much work on your project is already complete. (4) Always open recruitment threads in the correct subforum - Free, Commercial or Paid Work.
Piper
Regular
Projects: Refraction

[UPDATED 4/29/19] Refraction--Writer Seeking Artist(s), Composer(s), and Other(s) for a Visual Novel Project

#1 Post by Piper »

Update, 4/29/19: We're currently looking for team members to join our team to help us create character sprites and CGs. We're trying to get a good deal done in the project in the next few months, so it would be helpful if you could hit the ground running.

We're currently exploring several different payment schemes for the work. I'm happy to discuss it with anyone who asks.

Let me know if you're interested!

Here's some of the work that we've already produced for the project.
Paul_sketch_new.jpg
Church Interior.png
Screen_Shot_2019-02-15_at_11.40.20_PM.png
Update, 1/13/19: Our character artist, natjieo, is currently looking for someone to join the team and help her with linework and coloring. She's a phenomenal artist, so this is a great opportunity. If you're interested, please comment or send me a message, and we'll see if you're a good fit. Thanks!

Update: The team of artists and composers is complete now. Thank you for your interest! If you have any questions, or you have a skill that you think could benefit our team, please feel free to reach out. We're still in the market for advertisers or anything else. I always appreciate a message. ^^

Hello, everyone! :)

tl;dr

Right now I'm looking to get together with some other creators and produce a visual novel. I am a writer and a programmer, but I'm going to need some extra hands to get this project off the ground, especially artists and composers. I'm hoping to form a group where we can all work together and publish a project we're happy with. Message me if you're interested!

Description:

Refraction is a visual novel about Jackie, a blonde, female journalism student on the edge of breaking the news story that she's been working on for a year. The president of her university has been covering up the fact that he uses his position of power to sexually take advantage of vulnerable students, and she wants to bring the truth to light.

Just as she's getting ready for the final steps in her mission, she goes to bed and has a bizarre dream. When she wakes up the next day, she finds that the world around her is different--but only slightly different. She seems to be the only person who notices it. Worse, as days pass by, she finds the world changing back and forth between its two states, with no indication of what is going on.

Eventually, she discovers the mechanism behind everything: the multiverse. There are infinitely many alternate universes, each one only slightly different from our own. Jackie's universe has somehow been brought close to an alternate version, and every day when she goes to sleep, she switches places with another version of herself.

Worse, the other version of her seems to be trying to sabotage her plans at every turn. She has to band together with her friends--a Southern black Christian named Paul and a short Taiwanese firecracker named Jun--to find a way to stop everything from coming crashing down around her.

What I'm Looking For:

The first draft of the script for Refraction is written. I'll still be going through it in order to improve it in later drafts, but this seems like a good time to reach out and see who is interested in joining the project. I'll be continuing to improve my own craft as we move forward as well. :)

The most important positions I'm looking for are people to fulfill the art and music needs of the visual novel. However, I'm always open to other suggestions of ways that people can help with the project, so feel free to message or comment if you're interested in helping in some way.

Of course, anyone looking into this will be interested in how they might be compensated for their work. For small contributions, I may be able to pay a commission fee. However, I am not currently in a position to hire people to work for me. I would like to find people who are passionate about the project. Additionally, when the project comes together, I want to make it a commercial game. Seeing as that's the case, people who decide to work with me are going to be considered as a part of my group, my partners, and any profits made from the game will be split evenly between the members of the group.

What You Should Do:

If you are interested in this project, great! Please send me a message or a comment to tell me about your interest. I'm always willing to talk to people and discuss things seriously. Please be aware, though, that I am serious about getting this project off the ground. I want to find people that will be able to help me achieve that goal, and so if I receive multiple inquiries, I'll need to be selective about who will help me. If I don't think that you're a good fit for the project, then I probably won't add you to the team.

Updated List of Group Members:

Me (Writer, Programmer)
Foxeleos (Background artist)
natjieo (Sprite and CG artist)
Lukedoc321 (Composer)
minyan (UI Design)
Ende (Proofreading/Editing)

Thanks for reading this, and for your consideration. I hope you have a wonderful day! ^_^
Last edited by Piper on Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:07 pm, edited 12 times in total.

drs__

Re: Refraction--Writer Seeking Artist(s), Composer(s), and Other(s) for a Visual Novel Project

#2 Post by drs__ »

Hey, I'd be interested in composing for this project! I'm a US-based composer who's been writing music for 5 years and I'm currently trying to get into game scoring as a living (because, I'm gonna be real, the music I make doesn't pay the bills). Here's some examples of my work, which admittedly has a tendency to be all over the place style-wise but I can commit to a more distinctively VN-ish style if needed:

This is the opening piece of my 2016 record Shrouded in Light, I wanted a mysterious vibe to open the album on, to build tension to be released with the subsequent songs.
https://tsunxmi.bandcamp.com/track/madisonskyline-wav

I wrote this last night because I wanted to write a loop that sounded distinctively VN-y, and still had a B-section with a tension-building chord progression to contrast the A section's light melancholy.
https://clyp.it/grnh1dd0

This is a piece from a record I did under the name "the haymarket affair" that primarily blended laid-back jazz fusion with heavy metalcore sections. I especially want to highlight the first half of this song, where I used interlocking melodic lines to create an atmosphere of melancholy.
https://thehaymarketaffair.bandcamp.com/track/the-rains

Here's my portfolio, largely comprised of music from 3 projects that are currently in development.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1kmP6h ... cxEYkf8NcF

I'm pretty flexible, and can adapt to pretty much any style you need me to. Basically, just tell me what you need for any given part of the VN and I'll be able to make a pretty good song out of it. I work extremely fast for fairly cheap, and am very flexible on rates.

If you're interested in hiring me, let me know either via PM or by emailing me at dravenstedman@gmail.com.

Thanks for your time
--- draven r stedman
ava stedman // wisconsin-based composer and multi-instrumentalist
she/they

Lukedoc321
Regular
Projects: Go! Go! Democratic People's Republic of Korea!, Project BEAT
Soundcloud: Luke Dougherty

Re: Refraction--Writer Seeking Artist(s), Composer(s), and Other(s) for a Visual Novel Project

#3 Post by Lukedoc321 »

Hello!

I'm a classically trained composer with a variety of styles, and I'd be interested in the position! I have worked previously on Stay! Stay! Democratic People's Republic of Korea! and "Chemically Bonded", in addition to several other visual novels/games/Kickstarters. Let me know if you want more examples of my past work on games.

Click here for a link to my portfolio highlighting my variety of work.

I have been trained in many different styles, so even if you do not see something there that would best suit your project, I'm sure I'd be able to work my way through it.

In case you need help with anything else (from web design, marketing, UI design, graphic design, sound effects, video editing, etc.), you can give my personal website a browse here. I'm always looking for an opportunity to hone my other skills (free of charge) if I were to get the composition position.

I really love your story idea, and I hope to hear back from you!

- Lukedoc321 (Luke)

BreakingMachines
Regular
Projects: Alphateers, BabySteps
Deviantart: causticFish
itch: causticfish

#4 Post by BreakingMachines »

Hi I'm an artist. My speciality is sprite work and GUI. You can see some of my stuff here! https://causticfish.wixsite.com/works/2d-characters
ImageImage
Queer game designer, writer, and artist.

NEED ART? http://causticfish.wixsite.com/works

minyan
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Trial By Fire, Heartbaked, Ellaria, Plain, This My Soul, The Pretenders Guild
Projects: Arena Circus
Tumblr: minyanstudios
itch: harlevin

Re: [UPDATED] Refraction--Writer Seeking Artist(s), Composer(s), and Other(s) for a Visual Novel Project

#6 Post by minyan »

Hello! My name is Min, I'm a GUI artist. You can see my portfolio with pricing and samples here: reedermin.wix.com/portfolio
Though the site is still a bit of a WIP. I'm currently looking to fill commission slots since my financial situation will be changing soon, but I wouldn't be able to start until after August 5th. If that's all right with you, I'd love to be a part of the team!
ImageImage

Piper
Regular

Re: [UPDATED 1/13/19] Refraction--Writer Seeking Artist(s), Composer(s), and Other(s) for a Visual Novel Project

#7 Post by Piper »

Hey all! This thread has now been updated with a new job for an artist. Check it out! :)

SashaMac

Re: [UPDATED 1/13/19] Refraction--Writer Seeking Artist(s), Composer(s), and Other(s) for a Visual Novel Project

#8 Post by SashaMac »

Are you in need of a script programmer to do the grunt work?

Piper
Regular

#9 Post by Piper »

Thanks for the offer, SashaMac! But I've got that covered. :)

kirlySenpai
Regular
Deviantart: lakirly
itch: lakirly

#10 Post by kirlySenpai »

Hello.

I'm Kirly and I would like to apply as a sprite artist, If still available.
Below I leave my portfolio and others.

- Lemmasoft : viewtopic.php?f=62&t=52311&p=498104#p498104
- Devianart : https://www.deviantart.com/lakirly
- Porfolio : https://www.artstation.com/kirlychan

Thank you have a nice day.

Nagifry
IRC Nick: Nagi
Tumblr: nagifry
Deviantart: nagifry

#11 Post by Nagifry »

Hello! If you still need an artist to help with linework and coloring, below are the links to my portofolio and price list for you to evaluate if I'm capable for the job.
Art samples: https://sta.sh/21vjydz8st71
Price List: https://sta.sh/01l7dz1fbgyv

Thank you very much!

Piper
Regular

#12 Post by Piper »

Thank you to everyone for your interest. I've been spending the last week doing negotiations, and the position is now filled. Best of luck with all your endeavors. :)

Piper
Regular

Re: [UPDATED 4/29/19] Refraction--Writer Seeking Artist(s), Composer(s), and Other(s) for a Visual Novel Project

#13 Post by Piper »

Hey everyone! We're once again opening the project for team members. We're hoping that we'll be able to gather new team members who can help us develop the character sprites and CGs over the next few months. I've included the update information in the original post. Let me know if you're interested! :)

LoveIsInTheAir

Re: [UPDATED 4/29/19] Refraction--Writer Seeking Artist(s), Composer(s), and Other(s) for a Visual Novel Project

#14 Post by LoveIsInTheAir »

Hi if you need help with lineart or base coloring I am available for free. Here is my work:
viewtopic.php?f=54&t=55043

I also have experience with GUI but I don’t think I’m good enough yet lol

Piper
Regular

#15 Post by Piper »

LoveIsInTheAir wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:56 pm Hi if you need help with lineart or base coloring I am available for free. Here is my work:
viewtopic.php?f=54&t=55043

I also have experience with GUI but I don’t think I’m good enough yet lol
Thanks! I'll make sure to keep you in mind. :)