[close]Artist needed for a medieval otome game

Forum rules
Recruiting Rules: (1) Only recruit if you have an actual, clearly defined project you're recruiting for. Don't recruit if you're an organization that may have a project at some time in the future. (2) Tell people what kind of work you have for them. For commissions, also tell them how much work it will probably be. (3) Tell people how much work on your project is already complete. (4) Always open recruitment threads in the correct subforum - Free, Commercial or Paid Work.
Ayael
Regular
Projects: Imperial Grace (on going), Autumn Spirit, Ballads at Midnight

[close]Artist needed for a medieval otome game

#1 Post by Ayael »

Imperial Grace
Hello, folks! Our previous artist ghosted us, so we are looking for a new lead artist for Imperial Grace, an otome/resource management game featuring a badass MC ruling the Empire of Calydia.

Official Synopsis:

Crowned Empress at the death of your father, you must prove to the world a woman is able to restore your Empire’s greatness. Manage your alliances, your kingdom’s resources and your heart’s inclinations wisely to survive to your first year of ruling.

Characters:
The game is an otome game, featuring 3 wholesome romances. Here are the love interests:

Theodore of Faraam – 23 years old – Heir to House Faraam.
Theodore is a cold, sharp, and rather snarky man. Good with his sword and a great tactician, he doesn’t like the Court, but he has the education to navigate it. His family holds a grudge against the Crown, and he believes the MC will be a tyrant, just like her father. In this regard, he never hides his contempt and suspicions towards her. Theodore is very fond of his family and tries never to disappoint them. He does his best to always meet their expectations.

Alexander Acier – 22 – General of Calydia
Alexander is the only son of the previous general. He was born out of wedlock but got legitimised at quite a young age because his father had no other heir. The Court has never been kind to him, especially during his childhood. He is very grateful to the MC for taking care of him when they were younger. Because of this, he is very devoted to the MC, especially now she is the new empress.

Asha Isabis – 25 years old – Ambassador of Isiria
Asha is always smiling. Nothing seems to affect her, and she never rushes things. Coming from Isiria, an island ruled by women and far less prudish than Calydia, she can easily shock the court with her manners or her speeches. Fortunately for her, Asha is very cunning, and if she likes to piss off the religious crowd, she will never cross the line.

Development
The game has been under development for two months already. The first chapter is already written (in French), most of the gameplay is ready, we have the backgrounds and part of the UI. Pictures are worth a thousand words, so here are some GIFs of our work.

Gif of simple choices and extract from prologue. (The GIF is quite heavy and may take time to load).
GIF of the notification system
Gif of the petition system
We choose to not use the work of our previous artist to avoid influencing our new artist. But if you are curious, here is an example of the UI with the MC headshot instead of placeholder.
Current team:
- Ayael (Director, programmer, lead writer, UI artist)
- Aldéas (Co-writer)
- Jiro (Translator)
- Edhie (proofreader in English and French)

What we are looking for:
♦ An artist willing to draw sprites and CGs. Sprites are headshots only (with many expression variations), while CGs are mostly half-body, featuring two characters and a very simple background.
♦ Not manga/cartoon style. Any other style is fine. Since the previous artist didn’t do much, we decided it was best to start over with the art.
♦ Artist comfortable drawing both men and women.
♦ Someone reliable. After our previous unpleasant experience, we are looking for someone trustworthy, ready to commit to the project and to communicate with us. We are all human and working full-time jobs. Being unavailable for a month because of unplanned life events is absolutely fine; we just want to be kept in the loop.

Workload
The deadline is very negotiable. We usually expect one or two pieces per month. Here is the amount of artworks needed for the full game (at the least).
- [Needed for demo] The 4 main character sprite art (lots of expression variations)
- [Needed for demo] The cover art
- [Needed for demo] 3 CGs (one with each love interest) + 3 simpler CGs (MC only)
- 6 side characters (with less expression variations than the main character sprite)
- 10 NPC sprites (no expression variation)
- 15-18 CGs.

Payment
We offer three types of compensation. Let me know which one you are the most comfortable with! I am self-funding the whole game, so unfortunately I can’t pay a lot, but I really want to compensate my artist fairly. I strongly believe in the project’s potential to succeed, and I hope I’ll find an artist who believes in this project as much as I do <3
- Revshare only (20%, negotiable).
- Upfront payment (max 30-40$ for portrait, 3-5$ per expression variation, max 120-130$ per CG).
- Half upfront (same max), half revshare (10% revshare, negotiable)
♦ If upfront you must be able to provide some receipt, paypal ones are enough. (Can be discussed if half upfront or very low rates like CG <75 ).

> If you meet the criteria and are willing to join us, feel free to send me a message here or on discord (Ayael#9358). Please include your portfolio (or just a few examples of your art), as well as your rates if you wish upfront or half-upfront payment.
Thank you for reading and have a lovely day!
Last edited by Ayael on Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Image Image

lawrichai
Tumblr: lawrichai
Deviantart: lawrichai
itch: lawrichai

Re: [Revshare / paid]Artist needed for a medieval otome game

#2 Post by lawrichai »

Bonjour :)

I wasn't able to reach you on discord, so I went through the steps of setting up an account here.

I'm Annie Richer, my artist name is Lawrichai.
(All my social accounts are under Lawrichai.)
I'm a French-Canadian multi-disciplinary artist, fluent in French and English and currently studying Japanese.
I'm an independent worker, currently doing commission work through Ko-fi.
https://ko-fi.com/lawrichai

In the past year, beside commissions, I've been doing mostly fan art work of the games "When the Night Comes", "Errant Kingdom" and "Andromeda-Six".
My style is adaptive, ranging from cel shading to fully painted illustrations.

For some reason, I was unable to link pictures directly in this page, so I will give you the link of my main gallery on deviant art:
https://www.deviantart.com/lawrichai/ga ... ustrations

You've been referred to me by Nadine (Andromeda-Six); she explained to me what had happened and directed me to this post. She only had good words about your team and your project, and after reading about "Imperial Grace" and your requirements, I felt I could add your workload to my schedule and become a good asset for your team.
Self-founding a game is very bold and I admire that, therefore I find your 20% Revshare offer as a reasonable one.

If you feel my drawing style could complement your game, I'm ready to add my efforts to yours.
=^.^=

---'--,-{@
May your muse never fails you

Ayael
Regular
Projects: Imperial Grace (on going), Autumn Spirit, Ballads at Midnight

#3 Post by Ayael »

Hey thank you very much for reaching us, I already saw some of your beautiful artwork on the past (I love and follow all those game ahah) I am gladly surprised to see you were interested ! Your style is perfectly fitting what we need so I will show your portefolio to the other member of the team (also it would be cool to have a full french team :p) but I can't tell right now our final decision since we were lucky to have several amazing artist applying for this job so the team is currently voting to choose one and it's very thought.

I will reach you tomorrow with our final decision.

Thank you again for your interest, and please keep making this gorgeous fanart <3

Edit : it was very difficult to choose because you were all so talented, but in the end, we choosed Purple Lemon ! Thank you again for your interest, it really warms our heart to see so many great artist was willing to join us.
Image Image

lawrichai
Tumblr: lawrichai
Deviantart: lawrichai
itch: lawrichai

#4 Post by lawrichai »

Excellent! I'm glad you found someone so fast and can resume your work on "Imperial Grace".
=^.^=