Ideas Wanted! (CLOSED)

Forum rules
Recruiting Rules: (1) Only recruit if you have an actual, clearly defined project you're recruiting for. Don't recruit if you're an organization that may have a project at some time in the future. (2) Tell people what kind of work you have for them. For commissions, also tell them how much work it will probably be. (3) Tell people how much work on your project is already complete. (4) Always open recruitment threads in the correct subforum - Free, Commercial or Paid Work.
Morgan_R
Regular

Ideas Wanted! (CLOSED)

#1 Post by Morgan_R »

I've decided I'd like to produce a short interactive story/game -- possibly a visual novel, possibly something with simulation elements, possibly something closer to a point-and-click adventure game. At this point, I'm looking for an idea that will result in a compelling story set in a visually interesting environment, with the details of gameplay to be determined based on what best suits that story.

Thematically, I'm thinking something on the fantastical side, perhaps with a fairytale or mythological feel, or maybe something more whimsical, like Alice in Wonderland. That said, I'm open to other possibilities. (Edit: I've added some themes I particularly like at the bottom of this post)

I can't promise that I'll take anyone's idea. I'm looking for something that I love, enough to invest not just money in, but also a considerable quantity of time to produce. If I do accept your idea, I may change it considerably.

In terms of format, I'll consider anything from a brief synopsis to a complete script, and anything in between. Quality over quantity, of course... but all else being equal, having more substance to your idea could help.

Payment will be $50, via Paypal.

If you have any questions, or an idea to offer, please PM me!

Edit to add: Since I imagine some people here will be more interested in the possibility of getting their game produced, rather than just getting paid for a game concept, let me talk a little bit about my game plan... no pun intended. XD

First, I'd outline the narrative structure of the game, most likely using Twine. I'd get feedback on that, and revise until I was happy with it. At that point I'd start work on the game itself, most likely in Unity, using Dialogue System, and possibly Adventure Creator if I go in the point-and-click direction. All graphics would be sketched placeholders at this point.

I'd create an otherwise finished 'sketchy' version of the game, get more feedback, and revise some more. Once I'm 100% happy with the 'sketchy' version, I'll start in on the art. Possibly I'd end up doing it myself, or possibly I'd end up paying for it -- it really depends on the visual style that suits the story, and how much I've been able to level up my art skills in the meantime.

So, yeah, it's ambitious... but I don't think it's impossible!

Edit #2: Someone asked me about what themes I was interested in, so...

Exploration
This is first for a reason, it's something I really love about games. It's part of the reason I'm leaning towards doing a third-person point-and-click -- I feel like there's more of a sense of being there and exploring the environment your character is in. That said, I can't afford to build a huge sprawling world. But a game where there are some places to go is definitely something I want.

Relationships
Aaand this is second for a reason. Not necessarily romantic relationships, although that's a possibility. But I definitely want interesting supporting characters, who you have a reason to talk to, and for your relationships with them to evolve over the course of the game, depending on how you choose to interact with them.

Everything that follows is pretty much equally ranked. You do NOT necessarily have to include any or all of them... they're just things I find interesting.

Secrets.
Transformation.
Loneliness.
Friendship.
Flight.
Hope.
Stories.
Outcasts.
Making things.
Magic.
Last edited by Morgan_R on Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:01 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Nathan
Regular
Completed: Saving Zoey[2014]

Re: Ideas Wanted!

#2 Post by Nathan »

Will the person that sells you their ideas still have some say(however little it might be) in the game production?

Morgan_R
Regular

#3 Post by Morgan_R »

Nathan wrote:Will the person that sells you their ideas still have some say(however little it might be) in the game production?
I am certainly open to them having ongoing input, but as the deal stands, they would no longer have creative control.

That said, there are two other possibilities I see:

Someone has a well-developed idea -- a full script, or something close to it. They're willing to sell that script, but only with the stipulation that I don't make any changes they don't approve. If I love the idea, I might go for it.

Someone has an idea AND wants to collaborate in the actual development of the game -- whether as a writer or an artist, or both. Again, if I love the idea AND their writing/art style, I might be open to sharing creative control.

The reason I'm not looking for a collaborator by default, is that I've got nothing to show that I'm actually capable of making a game. I wouldn't volunteer to collaborate with someone like me... so I'd be suspicious of anyone who was willing to. ;)

But again, an idea I love could totally change my mind.

Nathan
Regular
Completed: Saving Zoey[2014]

#4 Post by Nathan »

Morgan_R wrote:
Nathan wrote:Will the person that sells you their ideas still have some say(however little it might be) in the game production?
I am certainly open to them having ongoing input, but as the deal stands, they would no longer have creative control.

That said, there are two other possibilities I see:

Someone has a well-developed idea -- a full script, or something close to it. They're willing to sell that script, but only with the stipulation that I don't make any changes they don't approve. If I love the idea, I might go for it.

Someone has an idea AND wants to collaborate in the actual development of the game -- whether as a writer or an artist, or both. Again, if I love the idea AND their writing/art style, I might be open to sharing creative control.

The reason I'm not looking for a collaborator by default, is that I've got nothing to show that I'm actually capable of making a game. I wouldn't volunteer to collaborate with someone like me... so I'd be suspicious of anyone who was willing to. ;)

But again, an idea I love could totally change my mind.
Sounds good to me. Will PM you once I'm done brainstorming :p

Lucy1212
Regular
Completed: None, yet
Projects: The Roses are Covered in Blood, Her Dolls, Where the Wind Travels

#5 Post by Lucy1212 »

I sent a PM. Did you get it?
I'm a wordsmith baby~

Morgan_R
Regular

#6 Post by Morgan_R »

Lucy1212 wrote:I sent a PM. Did you get it?
Yep! Just haven't had a chance to sit down and give the ideas I've received so far my undivided attention. I should be able to do that later tonight. In general, I'll try to get back to folks within 24 hours, regardless of whether I have a definitive answer for them yet -- in some cases I may be potentially interested, but still want to wait a while to see what else comes in. I'm planning to leave this up for a week or two, depending on how it goes.

Thanks for understanding!

Morgan_R
Regular

Re: Ideas Wanted! Deadline Monday!

#7 Post by Morgan_R »

Since submissions seem to be tapering off, I'm setting a deadline of Monday, September 29th for people to send me their ideas. Thanks!