New VN looking for long-term artist

Forum rules
Recruiting Rules: (1) Only recruit if you have an actual, clearly defined project you're recruiting for. Don't recruit if you're an organization that may have a project at some time in the future. (2) Tell people what kind of work you have for them. For commissions, also tell them how much work it will probably be. (3) Tell people how much work on your project is already complete. (4) Always open recruitment threads in the correct subforum - Free, Commercial or Paid Work.
TheOnlyKieran
Regular
Organization: NewWestGames
IRC Nick: TheOnlyKieran

New VN looking for long-term artist

#1 Post by TheOnlyKieran »

Hey all,

I'm making a new VN called "Just like Heaven", my first VN. I'm about halfway through the scriptwriting process, and am close to finishing my first draft. So, I thought it time to reach out to some potential artists.

Plot Synopsis

You play as Chris, an 18 year old Canadian guy who moves to England to attend music school to get away from abusive parents. You attends Kings University in London, where you meets a whole bunch of new friends, and start a local grunge band. A US band called Heaven makes huge waves, selling 20 million copies, and they have a similar sound, so all of a sudden you find yourself being thrust into the limelight, whether you like it or not.

It's up to you to decide which road to take, and how you'll deal with your new found fame, the attention from the women in your life, and if you'll be a success, or like so many before you, burn bright only to fade away.

Themes

Though I'd like the art to be anime styled, this is a mainly western game (with only one asian character) so the character designs should reflect this. I'd describe this game as an Utsuge, there aren't really any happy endings, some bittersweet ones perhaps, but definitely not happy. The script is inspired partially by the life of Kurt Cobain, and other 90's rockstars who has problems with drugs, alcohol and other things in their lives.

Gameplay

This is a multi-branching story arc, with 4 main branches, and many sub-branches / alternate scenes. Using your cellphone to communicate with friends is a key gameplay feature. This game also follows standard date sim / romance conventions in a sense - which girl (or in one case, boy) the player picks, determines which story path the player will branch off into. I'd obviously be happy to share any information at all with you.

In terms of development, I'm handling the story, programming and music/sfx. I am a university educated musician, so a music based game was a good fit for me, and I've already written a few preliminary tracks for the game.

What i'm looking for

Currently, I'm looking for initial sketch designs of about 6 central characters. I'm obviously happy to pay for these. As I am 100% not an artist, I'll be giving a little direction, but you have a lot of free-reign to design the character as you see fit.

If it's a good fit for the both of us, I'd love to work with you over a longer period of time. My total art spend will likely be in the $1-2000+ mark, so plenty of work.

The Vision

I'm planning on attending a PAX event in 2015 (Boston or Seattle, depending on development timing) and as such, I'd be happy to provide a pass, and have you come along! I'll need some custom art for the event, of course! And as seems to be the norm, I'll be launching a kickstarter campaign around that time.

Thanks again for reading. If you're still here, please post a link to your existing portfolio, with your pricing, and we can get started on some sketches!

Card-Queen
Completed: n/a
Projects: n/a

Re: New VN looking for long-term artist

#2 Post by Card-Queen »

I would be very interested in being your artist. My styles are flexible and I am very quick. Here's my LSF page, with some samples but there are many, many other examples of style and CGs style.http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 62&t=28401

TheOnlyKieran
Regular

#3 Post by TheOnlyKieran »

Hey Card-Queen! I love your style!

I'm not sure if it's a fit for what I had in mind (Which i know isn't much of an answer... sorry!)

I've had a back-up idea floating around for year now which you'd be perfect for, but I want to try this one first. I may well be contacting you in the future!

Thanks,

Fungii
Veteran
Completed: Home's Embrace
Projects: Royality TV
Tumblr: fungiidraws
itch: fungii

#4 Post by Fungii »

I have a services offered thread [urlhttp://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=26790]here[/url], you might notice a lot of my samples are fantasy related, but obviously I'd be capable of more 'real life' designs as well. I do specifically have a character sketch option available, too.

Card-Queen
Completed: n/a
Projects: n/a

#5 Post by Card-Queen »

TheOnlyKieran wrote:Hey Card-Queen! I love your style!

I'm not sure if it's a fit for what I had in mind (Which i know isn't much of an answer... sorry!)

I've had a back-up idea floating around for year now which you'd be perfect for, but I want to try this one first. I may well be contacting you in the future!

Thanks,
Thank you very much, Mr. OnlyKieran, sir!
I would appreciate that I will look forward to both projects of yours!

chocojax
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Umbra, Familiarity, Maleficent Justice
Tumblr: chocojax

#6 Post by chocojax »

Hello! I have an LSF thread over here [link] that contains samples of my artwork and a listing of my prices.

Appota
Completed: Chainsaw Rage ; Robo's Escape ; Ava Me - Anime Dress Up
Projects: Project - X ; Fruit Shooter
Organization: Appota

#7 Post by Appota »

Hello, TheOnlyKieran
We have an artist in our studio who would be interested. She's been drawing concepts for games, ranging from cartoon to manga and semi-realistic style. Please send us an email to kulsstudio@gmail.com if you want to talk over it and I'll have her reply sent promptly with her examples. Thank you!

blood1_shiki
Projects: Summer Sweethearts, The Human Reignition Project

#8 Post by blood1_shiki »

are you looking for this kind of style? http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2014/ ... 73ma7k.jpg

TheOnlyKieran
Regular

#9 Post by TheOnlyKieran »

Thanks all for the replies so far!
Still looking for Background and logo artists, please continue to reach out :)

Morhighan
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: AIdol, When Our Journey Ends, Forgotten Not Lost
Organization: MysteryCorgi
Tumblr: MysteryCorgi
Deviantart: MysteryCorgi
Soundcloud: MysteryCorgi
itch: MysteryCorgi

#10 Post by Morhighan »

TheOnlyKieran wrote:Thanks all for the replies so far!
I just so happen to be a logo artist, if you need one. I have a thread here: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 62&t=28421

TheOnlyKieran
Regular

#11 Post by TheOnlyKieran »

Morhighan wrote:
TheOnlyKieran wrote:Thanks all for the replies so far!
I just so happen to be a logo artist, if you need one. I have a thread here: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 62&t=28421
Thanks! I ended up going simple, but I'm sure you can do a better job than I! Incoming PM :)

Desperately seeking background artists!

SimonAdventure

#12 Post by SimonAdventure »

I'd definitely be interested if you're still looking! Heres my stuff!
http://simonadventure.deviantart.com/
If you're interested, I'd prefer you contact me by email at Simonadventurer@gmail.com~

WhiteMageChiu
Regular
Completed: Two Steps Back
Projects: I Woke Up Because it Hurt, A Case of Two Souls Becoming One, In Which I Was Never the Hero
Organization: CureAll
Tumblr: chiuscanvas
Deviantart: inuyashatoysrule

#13 Post by WhiteMageChiu »

Hello there! This sounds like a really fun and exciting project! Either way I hope it goes well for you!
I've made a visual novel myself, as well as completed a successful Kickstarter, so I'm familiar with all the needed aspects for such an undertaking, and would really love to be a part of more work like this!

My work can be found here:
chiuscanvas.tumblr.com
twitter.com/cureallchiu
inuyashatoysrule.deviantart.com

And my kickstarter is here! :)
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/44 ... steps-back

Best of luck and I hope we'll be in touch, you can find me here
whitemagechiu@hotmail.com
https://twitter.com/CureAllChiu
http://www.chiuscanvas.tumblr.com

Keep updated on my horror/ mystery visual novel [I Woke Up Because It Hurt!]
[Currently @ 20% completion- chugging along on coding, art, music. Writing completed]

TheOnlyKieran
Regular

#14 Post by TheOnlyKieran »

Hey all,

I think I've found mostly everyone I need. I'll be reaching out a bit later in development as the art spend goes through the roof :D

Thanks all, glad to have made some good contacts for the future too!