Seeking Co-Writer (long term)

Forum rules
Recruiting Rules: (1) Only recruit if you have an actual, clearly defined project you're recruiting for. Don't recruit if you're an organization that may have a project at some time in the future. (2) Tell people what kind of work you have for them. For commissions, also tell them how much work it will probably be. (3) Tell people how much work on your project is already complete. (4) Always open recruitment threads in the correct subforum - Free, Commercial or Paid Work.
AztecKid510
Projects: Project Fate, June's Story, Wings of Man, Sword + Shield
Tumblr: AztecKid510
Deviantart: AztecKid510
Soundcloud: AztecKid510

Seeking Co-Writer (long term)

#1 Post by AztecKid510 »

Hello!

I'm looking for people to help create my visual novel. This is a chapter based novel and will be available for mobile phones and PCs.

I have written the first chapter (which may need to be revised) and will need an additional writer to basically help co-create the story. The following are what I'd like the writer to do/help with:

• Brainstorm
    Develop Character Arcs
    Plot points / Key moments
    Describing environments, cities, structures
    Overall story flow
    Write dialogue
    Environment settings and explanations (I have a hard time describing the setting and content unrelated to characters)
    Comedic moments
    Some dialogue
    Direction of the story

I have key moments, overall flow of the story, battle sequences, some of the characters brainstormed, 2 endings and other important moments in the story but am missing a sensible plot that fits the characters and their goals. I could develop this on my own but would feel better about this project if I had someone to help write it out. I’d like this chapter based series to end at around 26 chapters with new chapters being released each month.

I feel like my best strength in terms of writing is dialogue between characters, action sequences and transitioning from one moment to the next. Ideally, I'd like someone to be my “other half” as they provide the content I'm lacking.

Writing samples I'd like from people of interest (this doesn't have to be long, or could be, but enough to see the point in what you're writing):
  • Comedic exchange between 2 characters
    Explanation of an environment such as a town, neighborhood, shady bar, etc.
    Explanation of a key moment in a story such as a revelation, discovery, death, etc.
Please keep in mind that if you're a part of this, I'd require:
  • Weekly meetings and brainstorming sessions over phone or Skype
    Writing from both of us
    Each of us will revise and add to each other's work (critiques from each of us)
    After this, we’ll essentially create a chapter based on our revisions.
    Alternatively, we can discuss how we’ll accomplish writing chapters together

When submitting your writing samples please also tell me what you'd charge for your writing services (if you charge that is or if you have another idea in mind, profit sharing, etc.). Any background on previous writing experiences, genres, anything that would make yourself a good co-writer and most importantly, tell me about yourself! :)

If I'm missing anything please let me know and I'll add it to this post.

Please email me if you're interested.

P.S. Here is the link to my previous post regarding this project:

viewtopic.php?f=61&t=41004

Caesar
AztecKid510@gmail.com

Mammon
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Pervert&Yandere, Stalker&Yandere
Projects: Roses Of The Thorn Prince

Re: Seeking Co-Writer (long term)

#2 Post by Mammon »

I'm afraid I'm not applying for the job, I don't nearly have enough time to work on a project like this, much less get a weekly Skype going (very irregular schedule). However, I did feel like commenting to add the following story of yours below (seems like something you'd put in the OP) for others that might visit this thread.
Details of VN:

I have an idea of what the hero and heroine will look like but the enemies will be a bit more difficult. As for the first chapter there are 3 characters present but more will be added in the following chapters. I imagine a dozen or more enemies, not including the primary enemy and side characters.

The hero will have a "first look" then in forthcoming chapter will have a "makeover" segment where he has his hairstyle and clothing style changed completely.

The story is set in my created fantasy world. I'm still working out the details but I imagine it to be a modern/futuristic setting. This will include a mix of modern/futuristic buildings, architecture. Clothing will be a mix of modern and futuristic as well. (Similar to present day clothing and clothing from Mirror's Edge).

All of this is unofficial but is overall what I'm looking for. Honestly, I'd like to bring in another writer to help brainstorm and write dialouge, background environments and so on. I had originally created this story to be in comic book format so it is very short, but, I would like to convert it into a VN so there would be more details added to the story.

About the Story

The story is about a heroine who wants to save the "kingdom" (this term can be changed) she lives in from "The Dark King". As she doesn't have the physical abilities to defeat the enemies that she encounters, she meets the Hero who does. Her only abilities are her smarts and her legendary eyes. The two of them team up to fight The Dark King, unite other kingdoms and save the people from The Dark King's rule.

So from what I can tell, it's a story set in a post-modern era, but with some medieval elements. Well, around the people with these special powers, at least. You intend to write a story with not one but a couple of protagonists that complement each other (A good idea to avoid a Mary Sue MC in a story like this.); an intelligent but weak one and a strong but probably less intelligent one. A few questions I got while reading this:

-Will there be an element of romance between the two main characters?

-Will the episode-system be a 'Villain of the week' format or something else? (So a new villain with a new kind of power appears every episode and gets beaten at the end, with at least one overarching main villain.)

-Will the dynamic between the two main characters indeed be a 'I'll hold this new foe off until you figure out a way to beat them, but hurry up!' system where the girl needs to tell the hero how to beat a seemingly unbeatable foe.

I figured I'd ask these questions for the sake of the people that might want to work with you, some Lemmasofters can be a bit too shy to ask further if they're not sure if they want to work with you, and end up not commenting at all. Also, I cannot really help with the writing due to time restraints, but if you need someone to help you with that plot issue you mentioned or to come up with some characters (so something requiring inspiration rather than time, something I can do in <2hours) you can PM me.
Last edited by Mammon on Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage

Want some CC sprites?

AztecKid510
Projects: Project Fate, June's Story, Wings of Man, Sword + Shield
Tumblr: AztecKid510
Deviantart: AztecKid510
Soundcloud: AztecKid510

#3 Post by AztecKid510 »

Mammon wrote:I'm afraid I'm not applying for the job, I don't nearly have enough time to work on a project like this, much less get a weekly Skype going (very irregular schedule). However, I did feel like commenting to add the following story of yours below (seems like something you'd put in the OP) for others that might visit this thread.
Details of VN:

I have an idea of what the hero and heroine will look like but the enemies will be a bit more difficult. As for the first chapter there are 3 characters present but more will be added in the following chapters. I imagine a dozen or more enemies, not including the primary enemy and side characters.

The hero will have a "first look" then in forthcoming chapter will have a "makeover" segment where he has his hairstyle and clothing style changed completely.

The story is set in my created fantasy world. I'm still working out the details but I imagine it to be a modern/futuristic setting. This will include a mix of modern/futuristic buildings, architecture. Clothing will be a mix of modern and futuristic as well. (Similar to present day clothing and clothing from Mirror's Edge).

All of this is unofficial but is overall what I'm looking for. Honestly, I'd like to bring in another writer to help brainstorm and write dialouge, background environments and so on. I had originally created this story to be in comic book format so it is very short, but, I would like to convert it into a VN so there would be more details added to the story.

About the Story

The story is about a heroine who wants to save the "kingdom" (this term can be changed) she lives in from "The Dark King". As she doesn't have the physical abilities to defeat the enemies that she encounters, she meets the Hero who does. Her only abilities are her smarts and her legendary eyes. The two of them team up to fight The Dark King, unite other kingdoms and save the people from The Dark King's rule.

So from what I can tell, it's a story set in a post-modern era, but with some medieval elements. Well, around the people with these special powers, at least. You intend to write a story with not one but a couple of protagonists that complement each other (A good idea to avoid a Mary Sue MC in a story like this.); an intelligent but weak one and a strong but probably less intelligent one. A few questions I got while reading this:

-Will the episode-system be a 'Villain of the week' format or something else? (So a new villain with a new kind of power appears every episode and gets beaten at the end, with at least one overarching main villain.)

-Will the dynamic between the two main characters indeed be a 'I'll hold this new foe off until you figure out a way to beat them, but hurry up!' system where the girl needs to tell the hero how to beat a seemingly unbeatable foe.

I figured I'd ask these questions for the sake of the people that might want to work with you, some Lemmasofters can be a bit too shy to ask further if they're not sure if they want to work with you, and end up not commenting at all. Also, I cannot really help with the writing due to time restraints, but if you need someone to help you with that plot issue you mentioned or to come up with some characters (so something requiring inspiration rather than time, something I can do in <2hours) you can PM me or request some inspiration on my plot CC thread (In my signiature below. Shameless plug, BTW).

Hi Mammon!

Thank you for your input and questions. This helps those who want to learn more about the story as well as gain insight to future plans!

Here are the answers to your questions:

-So from what I can tell, it's a story set in a post-modern era, but with some medieval elements.
Yes that's basically it. I want to have a varying number of "kingdoms" each with their own king and each of these kings have their own unique powers. A few names of these Kings are: "The Mad King", "The Collecting King", "The Gaming King". Also, there may not even be physical battles that occur as I want to show just how strong the HEROINE is in terms of intellect (Lelouch from Code Geass is an inspiration for the HEROINE)

Yes, there will be! I want there to be an obvious attraction between the two. More on his side rather than hers. He's the one that mainly initiates the teasing, joking and body language because he's "the man". He doesn't grope, kiss, or cross the line but rather, he likes to get to that point before going any further, as if playing with her because he finds it humorous, enjoyable and interesting. She doesn't deny that the attraction is there and doesn't reject him, but because she will risk her life to save the kingdom, she puts her personal feelings aside for the future of the kingdom. I'm not sure if I even want them to kiss or be a couple as I'm unsure about the future of the HERO (based on the 2 endings), but over time, they will appreciate what each other is going through and will put the kingdom ahead of their own desires.

Yes this is the plan, I would like there to be a villain with a new kind of power that they must defeat together. This would be the Dark King's Knight while the overarching main villain would be The Dark King himself.

This is one method, I don't want to stick to this formula but it will help with some battles. I'd also like to put them in a situation where they're unable to communicate and must overcome an obsticale on their own before re-teaming up for the rest of the fight.

I also want to add that this may more than likely be a kinetic novel but with a branching battle system. This means that the story follows a set path, but the battle system will be a choice based event that will be influenced by the HEROINE's input with the player determining the best action to take based on the HEROINE's discoveries. I would very much like to make the branching battle system a reality but this depends on how I can effectively accomplish this in regards to my finances as I'm paying for this project out of my own pocket. I have attempted Kickstarter events based on my previous projects but was never successful. This time, I'm simply going to pay for this project myself.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask!

Mammon
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Pervert&Yandere, Stalker&Yandere
Projects: Roses Of The Thorn Prince

#4 Post by Mammon »

AztecKid510 wrote:-So from what I can tell, it's a story set in a post-modern era, but with some medieval elements.
Yes that's basically it. I want to have a varying number of "kingdoms" each with their own king and each of these kings have their own unique powers. A few names of these Kings are: "The Mad King", "The Collecting King", "The Gaming King". Also, there may not even be physical battles that occur as I want to show just how strong the HEROINE is in terms of intellect (Lelouch from Code Geass is an inspiration for the HEROINE)
Sounds good, probably wise to also give each of these kings a name aside from this character-defining title, even if it's something clique like the seven carnal sins or a vague comparison to kings of old. (So f.e. Amon for the Mad King with 'wrath' as main characteristic or referencing King Louis XIV as the self-absorbed The Narcist King) Even if 'The ... King' doesn't make the naming part of the world-building seem lazy, which it might do, it will be a lot easier on you as the writer to have a name rather than something with 'The' in it. Simply doesn't work very fluently in some sentences.
Yes this is the plan, I would like there to be a villain with a new kind of power that they must defeat together. This would be the Dark King's Knight while the overarching main villain would be The Dark King himself.

This is one method, I don't want to stick to this formula but it will help with some battles. I'd also like to put them in a situation where they're unable to communicate and must overcome an obsticale on their own before re-teaming up for the rest of the fight.
Off course, I didn't mean to suggest you were going to rinse and repeat the same thing over and over again. Even if separating the smarts and the brawl is a good way to avoid an overpowered character (and deliver some exposition), there should always be some diversity.
I also want to add that this may more than likely be a kinetic novel but with a branching battle system. This means that the story follows a set path, but the battle system will be a choice based event that will be influenced by the HEROINE's input with the player determining the best action to take based on the HEROINE's discoveries. I would very much like to make the branching battle system a reality but this depends on how I can effectively accomplish this in regards to my finances as I'm paying for this project out of my own pocket. I have attempted Kickstarter events based on my previous projects but was never successful. This time, I'm simply going to pay for this project myself.
I think that if there is any actual difference in the story based on your actions during the fights, it can be called interactive rather than kinetic. Even games that have just one ending can be called 'interactive' technically speaking. So if you have just the two endings you were planning, you can confidently call your project an interactive one rather than kinetic. And if there are different scenes after these battles depending on what the player did, you can claim this interactiveness with ease.

However, I did have some questions about this system you mentioned. Will the battles be:
-Some sort of RPG battles surrounded by VN (f.e. Sunrider), and if and how you win decides what happens next.
-Text-based battles with a choice-like system with stats like hp and stamina that go up or down depending on your actions, and you'll have to fight to defeat the opponent before your health hits 0. (a bit like 'Delight games' games)
-(My guess) Text-based battles with a choice-like system where you as THE HERO! (great, now I've got that song stuck in my head again...) have to fight the opponent, and in the scenes that preceded it you as THE HEROINE had to choose a few options to learn a few things that give the hero his info.

I'd say any of the above could work, the last one is probably the easiest and most recommendable in Ren'py and the one I assumed you were talking about, though the other two could work as well. And none of these options (with the exception of the first where it's either win and advance or lose and try again) would be kinetic. If you want that brancing system to be practical however, I'd suggest making a simple and maintainable system of persistents. For example, the following outcomes of battle:
-Win hard. The HEROINE discovered the weak spot in the Knight and the fight was little more than a massacre. (Cannon scene and best one obviously)(+3)
-Win. Due to a combination of intelligence and brawl, you managed to best your opponent. (+2)
-Win barely. You managed to defeat your opponent, but by using several items, losing teammates or not beating him in a certain amount of turns (or whatever works best) (+1)
-Lose. Game over, try again.

I cooked up a really simple system above, but one that should work in all fights and which should allow you to create branching paths with manageable persistents. Those +x would pile up and determine certain scenes, dialogues and off course the ending. (So if there are 28 episodes before the final one, 3*28 points would be perfect end, less than that but more than 2*28 would be good end etc....)The scenes themselves would be the same though, after a single scene according to your fight, you can always return to the 'kinetic' storyline because they won and thus survived in all routes. Optionally more persistents could be added like f.e. 'cunning' or 'heroic' depending on whether you took the cowardly but smart choice of the heroine to do something underhanded or the chivalrous but dumb choice of the hero to fight fairly. As long as these are simple persistents they can easily co-exist with eachother and create easy-to-plan endings.

P.S. If you have trouble with Kickstarter and gathering funds or interest in your project, you might want to try this guy. I have no experience with him myself, but the reviews suggest he knows what he's doing.
ImageImageImage

Want some CC sprites?

LadyTypewriter
Regular
Completed: Doki2LC (psychological horror drama fan-made visual novel), USS Octopus (sci-fi visual novel), Fritz (cyberpunk RPG), Office Romance (otome game), Sins Virtues (boardgame), +500 more commissions live at http://sites.google.com/view/writing-commission
Projects: 1,100,000 words + $50,000 generated revenue + 200 commissions and counting
Organization: #WritingCommission
Deviantart: WritingCommission
itch: https://writingcommi

#5 Post by LadyTypewriter »

Hi, sent you an email :)

Hello~! I hope you find this message well.

I am accepting writing commission, if you're interested.

You can find out more details of my writing commission over here: http://stellapurple.deviantart.com

For faster replies, you can email me at: codegeassstella@gmail.com

Aside from writing, I also do book cover/ banner design and live one-on-one session.
#WritingCommission
official website: http://sites.google.com/view/writing-commission (info, samples, order)
email: writing.commission21@gmail.com
discord chat: WritingCommission#6065 http://discordapp.com/invite/MeKuC9G
concept art/storyboard: http://sites.google.com/view/manga-commission

flaminghippo
Regular
Projects: At Bay
IRC Nick: flaminghippo

#6 Post by flaminghippo »

Hello! Are you still accepting applications?

Alazar

#7 Post by Alazar »

Are you still looking for applications?
I've worked with people in making visual novels. I would love to help!