Looking to program/code a Mass Effect style Codex (closed)

Forum rules
Recruiting Rules: (1) Only recruit if you have an actual, clearly defined project you're recruiting for. Don't recruit if you're an organization that may have a project at some time in the future. (2) Tell people what kind of work you have for them. For commissions, also tell them how much work it will probably be. (3) Tell people how much work on your project is already complete. (4) Always open recruitment threads in the correct subforum - Free, Commercial or Paid Work.
InvertMouse
Regular
Completed: Unhack
Organization: InvertMouse

Looking to program/code a Mass Effect style Codex (closed)

#1 Post by InvertMouse »

(Note: Submission is now closed)

Hi there everyone :). I have a Renpy game template on Bitbucket that I hope to share, and after that, I would like to add a glossary screen to the project. The concept is similar to the Codex from Mass Effect:

A series of buttons you can click on, and each one links to a heading, image and some text. For example, maybe the items are:

- Apples
- Oranges
- Pears

Then when you click on apples, there is an image of an apple, and the text is:

The apple tree (Malus pumila, commonly and erroneously called Malus domestica) is a deciduous tree in the rose family best known for its sweet, pomaceous fruit, the apple. It is cultivated worldwide as a fruit tree, and is the most widely grown species in the genus Malus. The tree originated in Central Asia, where its wild ancestor, Malus sieversii, is still found today. Apples have been grown for thousands of years in Asia and Europe, and were brought to North America by European colonists. Apples have religious and mythological significance in many cultures, including Norse, Greek and European Christian traditions.

Here is the list of requirements:

1) Add button on menu screen (can be placed anywhere as a hotspot) that links to glossary screen.

2) The glossary screen can be laid out more or less like the Mass Effect one:

- Return button takes you back to the menu or game, depending on where you accessed the glossary from.
- No need to worry about scrolling for the text. I will make sure the text never passes beyond its bounding box.
- Word wrap should be automatic.
- No need to have scrolling for the items list. Let's fit say 20 buttons at most, perhaps 2 columns of 10.
- All buttons should have rollover and press states.
- Dummy white boxes are fine for graphics. As long as we keep the code clean, I can adjust the layout for different games depending on their individual requirements.

3) On particular lines during the game, I would like to display a glossary button. When players click this button, they will open the glossary with the relevant item selected. For instance:

"Yeah, I like apples." (glossary button appears)

Then when you click the button, the glossary page opens with the apples item already selected.

Next line:

"I prefer bananas though." (glossary button gone)

The in-game glossary button can be positioned like the video button here:

We can potentially use "show/hide screen glossary_button_x" to pull this off.

I have a budget of around 50-70 USD for this work. If you are up for it, please respond to the thread and possibly DM me as well.

My current project is the Last Birdling:

http://birdling.invertmouse.com

If this glossary feature gets completed on time, I will implement it into the game. I may chip in a bit extra and ask for the code to be copied over to The Last Birdling's repo, which I will provide access to.

Thank you coders :)!
Last edited by InvertMouse on Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Empish
Veteran
Projects: Efemural Hearts, It Ends With Graduation
itch: empish

Re: Looking to program/code a Mass Effect style Codex

#2 Post by Empish »

Heya, I'd be interested in programming this. I've made custom screens before and I feel like it wouldn't be too difficult to make a glossary like that.

InvertMouse
Regular
Completed: Unhack
Organization: InvertMouse

Re: Looking to program/code a Mass Effect style Codex

#3 Post by InvertMouse »

Hi there! Thank you for all of your responses. I have picked a candidate for now, because there is someone who has coded the exact same thing before. Thanks :).