Seeking for a Composer for Your Royal Gayness CLOSED

Forum rules
Recruiting Rules: (1) Only recruit if you have an actual, clearly defined project you're recruiting for. Don't recruit if you're an organization that may have a project at some time in the future. (2) Tell people what kind of work you have for them. For commissions, also tell them how much work it will probably be. (3) Tell people how much work on your project is already complete. (4) Always open recruitment threads in the correct subforum - Free, Commercial or Paid Work.
Aviala
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Your Royal Gayness, Love Bug, Lovingly Evil
Organization: Lizard Hazard Games
Tumblr: lizardhazardgames
itch: aviala

Seeking for a Composer for Your Royal Gayness CLOSED

#1 Post by Aviala »

The application period has ended. I will be making my choice asap. Thanks for all the applications! <3

Hey there, musicians!

First, a little bit of info about our game:
"Your Royal Gayness is a humorous PC game where you play as a prince managing a kingdom while your parents are away. And there's one more thing - you're gay, so you also need to come up with excuses to avoid marrying a princess. Luckily, your three advisors are always by your side to help you make challenging choices that affect the financial state and happiness of your kingdom, among other things."

Find our project page here: viewtopic.php?f=43&t=41468
You can also find links to our social media pages from the project thread. Our Kickstarter page especially has a lot of info about the game.

Composing work

We already have one composer but he doesn't have time to compose as many songs as we need for the game. That's why we're now looking for someone to take care of some of the workload. Depending on the composer's work pace, availability and rates, we're looking to commission about 5 to 15 instrumental songs.

Here's a short sample of what we already have in the game (this is the kind of music we're looking for):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zpmz89m-dXA

We're looking to commission tracks that have a medieval/royal/fantasy/fairytale vibe to them, but that aren't strictly just "medieval music". We want modern instruments and even electronic instruments mixed with more traditional sounds.
We're not looking for orchestral epic fantasy pieces either. Most of the tracks will need to be pretty relaxed, since the player needs to be able to read dialogue while the music is playing.
Some of the tracks may need to convey specific feelings like "sadness" or "suspense", while still fitting the rest of the soundtrack.

The work will start as soon as possible after we find a suitable musician.
The songs composed will be used in the game, it's soundtrack (that will be sold with the game and given to Kickstarter backers), and possibly other related products.

Payment

We recently ran a small but successful Kickstarter campaign, but our budget for music isn't super big since we didn't originally plan to commission any music. We totally understand that music is hard to make and composing takes time, but the budget is limited, so please contact us only if your rates are indie friendly (rates like 100+USD per minute of music are definitely out of our price range). Harshly put, the more affordable you are, the better for us (but on the other hand, we're open to applications from composers with little to no professional experience, as long as you have a decent portfolio/samples, so this might be a good place to get your composing career started).

Criteria

When choosing a musician, we consider these things:

-Communication: Is the application easy to understand, is all required info included (really, if it's clear you didn't bother to read the recruitment post, we won't bother answering)
-Cohesity: Does it seem like the composer is able to compose songs that fit in with our other songs
-Skill: Does the music sound good
-Rates: Is the composer affordable and within our price range
-Availability: Does the composer have enough time to work on our project and meet deadlines
-LGBT-friendly: We don't work with anyone who's against homosexuality/LGBT+ people.

The following things are considered a plus:
-You're part of a sexual or gender minority
-You've worked with teams and deadlines before

To apply

Please send email to lizardhazardgames(at)gmail.com (replace (at) with @, I'm avoiding spam bots) or PM me here on Lemma Soft Forums. You can also ask questions and discuss in the comments of this thread, but it's easier for me if you send your actual applications privately :)

Please include:
A short description of yourself
Your rates
A portfolio or song samples
Previous experience on projects, if you have any

We're accepting applications until the end of May 19PM GMT+2 on the 28th, though we may stop earlier if we find a suitable composer. We will inform about any changes in this thread. Thanks for your interest!
Last edited by Aviala on Sun May 28, 2017 1:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Korochi
Regular

Re: Seeking for a Composer for Your Royal Gayness (LGBT+, hu

#2 Post by Korochi »

Hi! I just want to tell you that i already sent my proposal on PM. Thanks!

JGeorgeVGM
Projects: Women of Xal
Tumblr: mctrickyvgm
Soundcloud: McTricky

#3 Post by JGeorgeVGM »

Just sent you my proposal via email under Jeremiah George!

Aviala
Miko-Class Veteran

#4 Post by Aviala »

Thanks, I got both your messages! I'll get back to all applicants within a week after they messaged me, and announce the final results during the first week of June at the latest. Earlier if I happen to find the perfect match for us.

Chrisiscool86
Regular
Projects: Cassandra Acts
Tumblr: bebop-86
Soundcloud: chris-thurman-1

#5 Post by Chrisiscool86 »

Sent an email!

Aviala
Miko-Class Veteran

#6 Post by Aviala »

Great, thanks! I will reply next week at the latest :)

Aviala
Miko-Class Veteran

#7 Post by Aviala »

Hey all! I've been made aware that some people have been worried about the following line: "The following things are considered a plus: -You're part of a sexual or gender minority".

Your worry is misguided. I'm not going to go through the applications and delete the ones that aren't from LGBT creators :'D I'm not gonna choose our musician based on their sexuality. This is not about closing doors on cishet people, it's about opening them for marginalized creators. The decision will be made using the criteria stated in the post. The LGBT aspect will only come to play if I can't decide between two applications; if they have similar skill level, competitive rates and so on. In that case I will learn toward a marginalized creator (whether they're LGBT or otherwise part of a minority), since they're more likely to need the work due to the discrimination they face in their daily lives.

But it's very unlikely that this situation even happens. Maybe my wording should have been something like "We encourage people of all genders and sexual identities to apply", and we wouldn't even be having this discussion :')

Jin
Regular
Projects: Ephemeral (Writer), Woman of Xal (Singer for Demo/VO), Cute Demon Crashers (VO), Ashes of Destruction (Writer)
Soundcloud: anairisqui

#8 Post by Jin »

^ I'm no composer, but I just wanted to say it's nice to see open inclusivity in the recruitment post. :) It can definitely be a boost of confidence for minority composers.

Can't wait to see more about the VN! The concept's cute <3 Good luck finding a composer!

Mariche
Tumblr: Mariche
Deviantart: Mariche
Github: Mariche
Soundcloud: Mariche
itch: Mariche

#9 Post by Mariche »

I am interested, have over 10 years of experience as a composer.

Chrisiscool86
Regular

#10 Post by Chrisiscool86 »

Aviala wrote:Hey all! I've been made aware that some people have been worried about the following line: "The following things are considered a plus: -You're part of a sexual or gender minority".

Your worry is misguided. I'm not going to go through the applications and delete the ones that aren't from LGBT creators :'D I'm not gonna choose our musician based on their sexuality. This is not about closing doors on cishet people, it's about opening them for marginalized creators. The decision will be made using the criteria stated in the post. The LGBT aspect will only come to play if I can't decide between two applications; if they have similar skill level, competitive rates and so on. In that case I will learn toward a marginalized creator (whether they're LGBT or otherwise part of a minority), since they're more likely to need the work due to the discrimination they face in their daily lives.

But it's very unlikely that this situation even happens. Maybe my wording should have been something like "We encourage people of all genders and sexual identities to apply", and we wouldn't even be having this discussion :')
I'm fine with saying I was the person who brought this up, and I've already emailed you back but thank you for clarifying for everyone and again I'm very sorry for even bringing it up. Very unprofessional of me.

Aviala
Miko-Class Veteran

#11 Post by Aviala »

Chrisiscool86 wrote: I'm fine with saying I was the person who brought this up, and I've already emailed you back but thank you for clarifying for everyone and again I'm very sorry for even bringing it up. Very unprofessional of me.
You weren't the only one - a friend of mine sent a screenshot of a discussion in Facebook. In any case, thank you for apologizing, it does make a difference. When I first got your email I counted you out immediately since it really was unprofessional, but since you apologized I will take another look at your application. Can't make any promises about the position to anyone at this point though.
Jin wrote:^ I'm no composer, but I just wanted to say it's nice to see open inclusivity in the recruitment post. :) It can definitely be a boost of confidence for minority composers.

Can't wait to see more about the VN! The concept's cute <3 Good luck finding a composer!
Thank you! :) We'll do our best to make a great game!

Chrisiscool86
Regular

#12 Post by Chrisiscool86 »

I appreciate it, and no problem. We all make mistakes!

Aviala
Miko-Class Veteran

#13 Post by Aviala »

A change in plans! I have decided to take a couple of days off from work (I really need the rest), so the application window is closing on the 28th instead of the 31st. If you're interested in applying, please do so before 19PM GMT+2 on the 28th... And please try to include everything I asked for since there's not much time to email back and forth if your application is missing important info (like samples of your music or your rates). Thank you!

Aviala
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Seeking for a Composer for Your Royal Gayness CLOSED

#14 Post by Aviala »

I have made my decision and messaged the musicians chosen for the job. Due to the high number of applications we received, I can't message everyone who wasn't chosen individually :( So I'd like to thank everyone who applied! The decision was hard because all applicants had really strong portfolios. Some people had really good music that just didn't fit what we were looking for. So please don't be discouraged even if you didn't get the position :)