[Closed] Seeking background concept artist for basic blocking

Forum rules
Recruiting Rules: (1) Only recruit if you have an actual, clearly defined project you're recruiting for. Don't recruit if you're an organization that may have a project at some time in the future. (2) Tell people what kind of work you have for them. For commissions, also tell them how much work it will probably be. (3) Tell people how much work on your project is already complete. (4) Always open recruitment threads in the correct subforum - Free, Commercial or Paid Work.
Preseva
Regular
Projects: The Miller's Daughter

[Closed] Seeking background concept artist for basic blocking

#1 Post by Preseva »

Edit: I believe we've found a concept artist! Thank you all. :)

Hello lovely artists and visual novel enthusiasts!

The Miller's Daughter, a visual novel based on the classic fairy tale of Rumpelstiltskin, has been in development since August 2017. It is still in pre-production, but a lot of the assets have been created, including some original music, prologue illustrations, and 22 unique character sprites for 17 characters. However, the backgrounds have been lagging behind, with only one completed. We have a wonderful background artist, but in order to help production along I am seeking a BG concept artist.

I'm not looking for finely rendered, detailed illustrations, just basic concept sketches to determine blocking, perspective / camera angle, and basic light sources, since the background artist renders in 3D. The BG artist will likely change the details of objects / some architecture to suit himself. This is about the level of blocking I am looking for, except with basic light sources: https://www.sketchbook.com/blog/wp-cont ... sestep.jpg

What I do want is someone with good taste and design composition skills that understands the basic concepts required for visual novel backgrounds, including depth of rooms, logical camera angles, and the placement of objects so that the background is interesting without crowding out the characters. Ideally, I would like to see the first one completed within 4 days; after that, one every 2 weeks will suffice.

There are 10 backgrounds yet to be completed that I would like concepts for. While it would be wonderful to find someone that can do all 10, since these are only blocking concepts I don't think personal style will factor in much, so a commitment to all 10 is not necessary. The backgrounds are mostly interior and include a throne room, a sparsely furnished tower room, a bedroom, a study, a tailor's work shop, a parlor, a training room, a garden, an outside scene with a mill, and a ballroom or grand hall.

Since these are simple roughs, I'm looking to pay $30 per concept sketch. A few simpler, initial thumbnail options consisting only of walls/floor/windows/ceiling and some key objects (example: throne) to determine perspective would be appreciated.

Below is the one completed background for the game, to give you an idea of what you'll be working with, keeping in mind you will be breaking these things down into basic shapes:

If you are interested in seeing some more general art for the game, here's an album: https://imgur.com/a/qwyg6