[CLOSED] Google cover art for game title, resize/crop it to 120x120, save as PNG

Forum rules
Recruiting Rules: (1) Only recruit if you have an actual, clearly defined project you're recruiting for. Don't recruit if you're an organization that may have a project at some time in the future. (2) Tell people what kind of work you have for them. For commissions, also tell them how much work it will probably be. (3) Tell people how much work on your project is already complete. (4) Always open recruitment threads in the correct subforum - Free, Commercial or Paid Work.
OiTaiNgai

[CLOSED] Google cover art for game title, resize/crop it to 120x120, save as PNG

#1 Post by OiTaiNgai »

Hello all you wonderful people who make VNs,

I have a bit of an unusual paid job that I need doing:

I have a very long list of video game titles (major releases from 1990~ to present). Brief excerpt from the list:

Code: Select all

Persona 4 / Golden
Persona 5
Revelations: Persona
The Sims
The Sims 2
The Sims 3
The Sims 4
Kerbal Space Program
ESPN NFL 2K5
ESPN NFL Football
John Madden Football
John Madden Football '92
These are for the achievements/collections gallery of my free video-game industry visual novel/business sim I'm working on. However, I'm overwhelmed by the quantity of titles I want to include, so am willing to pay for help.

I need someone who can, for each game title:
  • Google it.
  • Find and copy the box/cover-art (or failing that, the title screen/splash screen) into their image editor.
  • Jiggle (resize, crop, etc.) it, so it looks decent at 120x120 pixels. If it's impossible to get it 'square', then as long as it's 120-pixels height, the width can be smaller (e.g. 94 pixels-width by 120 pixels-height, or similar). If it's already 120x120 when you found it, then lucky you, you can just copy & paste it :wink:.
  • Save as a PNG file, with the name (or, if necessary, a shortened version of the name) of the game as the filename.
  • If you can't find the box-art/cover for a game, don't sweat it, and move-on to the next one in the list.
This is fast-paced, repetitive work. The covers don't need to each be individual masterpieces; they just need to be rough & ready :).

If you have no luck with Google, there's a website called 'http://www.vgboxart.com' which looks to have a lot of video game box-art.

I'm offering $100 per 500 titles.

I have three of these offers, available, for three separate lists of games:
  • Offer 1 (no longer available)
  • Offer 2 (no longer available)
  • Offer 3 (no longer available)

I would like to spread this work out across three people, if possible, simply to get it done as quickly as possible. However, if there's a lack of interest, and only one person willing to do it, I'll happily let them (and pay them to) do them all.

How it works:
  • If you're interested, PM me.
  • I will send you one game title. Create a 120x120 PNG from its cover, to demonstrate that you can do this.
  • You send it back to me.
  • We both go "Yay~ :lol:", and I pay you $25 to get started.
  • I will send you a list of 600 game titles; the extra 100 titles are a 'buffer' of extras to use if you can't fine a cover for a title, so if you search for a game and there's no cover-art for it, grab one from the end of the list until you reach your total of 500 PNGs. If you go through all 600 and still haven't made 500 PNGs, that's my fault and not yours, and you still get paid in full :oops:.
The 'test image' you created is removed from your list of games to-do, so you only actually have to produce 499 PNGs.

When you're done, just bundle them-up into a ZIP and upload them to http://www.tinyurl.com, or a similar free website.

Payment is $25 up-front, the other $75 on-completion. Payment is through PayPal, only.
Last edited by OiTaiNgai on Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:04 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

Re: Google cover art for game title, resize/crop it to 120x120, save as PNG

#2 Post by Imperf3kt »

Why not use Wikipedia instead of Google?
The bonus is that Wikipedia media is usually licensed as CC0.

You could even automate it.
Scrape the server, save the images, batch process the files, done.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

SypherZent
Veteran
Completed: Multiverse Heroes, Space Hamster in Turmoil

#3 Post by SypherZent »

I see you've already recommended automation.
I was just going to say the same thing, lol.
Good advice, Imperf3kt ^^

You can also use Python-fu with GIMP to format / modify / resize many images at the same time.
So, it's possible to download 500-600 images into a folder and automate resizing to 120x120.

Would still need to manually go through them and see if these titles even look good when resized to 120x120 (quality check and such).
Gauging the quality of the image and seeing if it is legible, etc. is still something that humans do better than A.I. ^^

If you still need someone to do the work, by when do you need it?
I would be able to do this over the weekend.
Creator of Multiverse Heroes & Space Hamster in Turmoil

Want me to code your game?
Check my services thread!

Aviala
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Your Royal Gayness, Love Bug, Lovingly Evil
Organization: Lizard Hazard Games
Tumblr: lizardhazardgames
itch: aviala

#4 Post by Aviala »

Wait, so are you planning to include the images in your game? Aren't they usually protected by copyright?

OiTaiNgai

#5 Post by OiTaiNgai »

Thank you to everyone who got in touch, regarding these positions. Unfortunately, I believe them all to have been filled, but have enjoyed speaking with all that applied :wink:.

Imperf3kt wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:20 pmYou could even automate it.
Scrape the server, save the images, batch process the files, done.
Oh~, that sounds like an interesting idea. If I have work like this that needs doing in future, I'll weigh-up the cost of hiring someone to build an automated solution, versus the cost of manual-human work :).

SypherZent wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:58 amIf you still need someone to do the work, by when do you need it?
I would be able to do this over the weekend.
Unfortunately, you were (very) narrowly edged-out by three other users. However, you have a very impressive profile & portfolio, and I would definitely be delighted to hire you to do work of this type, if an opportunity arose in future :).

Aviala wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:14 pmWait, so are you planning to include the images in your game? Aren't they usually protected by copyright?
In this case, it's a free project. I was actually asked to undertake the project (that these PNGs are for) by a Hong Kong company, so they must know what they're doing, from that perspective :).

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

Re: [CLOSED] Google cover art for game title, resize/crop it to 120x120, save as PNG

#6 Post by Imperf3kt »

With regards to copyright, there's some exclusions for certain uses (being a free game isn't one of those exclusions)
I think this sounds like it falls into that category.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter