[Closed] Looking for a Ren'Py programmer

Forum rules
Recruiting Rules: (1) Only recruit if you have an actual, clearly defined project you're recruiting for. Don't recruit if you're an organization that may have a project at some time in the future. (2) Tell people what kind of work you have for them. For commissions, also tell them how much work it will probably be. (3) Tell people how much work on your project is already complete. (4) Always open recruitment threads in the correct subforum - Free, Commercial or Paid Work.
Der Tor
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Der Totengräber, There is always a Choice, Darkness
Projects: A Legend of an Ancient Evil
itch: emmanuel-goldstein

[Closed] Looking for a Ren'Py programmer

#1 Post by Der Tor »

I am looking for programmer who is familiar with Ren'Py (no other knowledge necessary) for a youth friendly Visual Novel I am currently working on.
The story is already finished, I just need someone to enter the text into and build the game in Ren'Py (just a simple Visual Novel - nothing fancy).
It's not a long project and it's going to be free and not commercial, so I can't pay you all that much, however I still wanna pay you something as I don't wanna work with people who do it for free, because I feel people are more reliable when they are getting paid :mrgreen:
Last edited by Der Tor on Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

Re: Looking for a Ren'Py programmer

#2 Post by Imperf3kt »

Do you have a bit more detail about what sort of programming you need done? Ren'Py covers a broad range of things from simple menus to animated menus, basic sprites to dynamic sprites, amd many other things.
The skills you require someone to have, depend on what you want to include.
For example, do your sprites move? Will menu buttons make noises and pop out at you when moused over?
Do you want a default menu system, or something more complex? Should screens appear with any kind of transition? Do you need any sort of "mini game" or other interactivity?

The skillset for all these actions varies quite a lot and you may find people who can do one thing, but not another.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

Der Tor
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Der Totengräber, There is always a Choice, Darkness
Projects: A Legend of an Ancient Evil
itch: emmanuel-goldstein

#3 Post by Der Tor »

Yeah see that's actually kind of the reason I need help. I have already made a couple of games with Ren'Py all by myself. But that was about 10 years ago and back then Ren'Py was much simpler so there weren't even any of those issues you are mentioning and they don't really concern me as I don't need those functions. I just wanna do a simple visual novel without fancy stuff, like I used to do back then and the only reason I can't do it myself is because I am not familiar with the newer versions and I don't have the time to really get into it again and learn it all again nor could I use the old versions that I'm familiar with because then I would have compatibility issues. So I just need someone who is familiar with the current versions to help me and I don't need any fancy stuff.

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#4 Post by Imperf3kt »

If you don't want anything fancy, the latest version of Ren'Py has everything you need already.
When you begin a new project, a default menu system and everything needed is created for you.
Literally all you need to do is supply your images, audio and whatever else you will use, then add your script.

Anyway, good luck with your project. I'd offer to help, but I already bite off more than I can chew.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

Alex
Lemma-Class Veteran

#5 Post by Alex »

Der Tor wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:05 am ...
It is possible to install an older version (like 6.9.13 maybe) that has an option to choose a legacy theme, so you'll don't need to struggle with the new GUI...
https://www.renpy.org/release_list.html