Editor and minigame Coder needed (EU only)

Forum rules
Recruiting Rules: (1) Only recruit if you have an actual, clearly defined project you're recruiting for. Don't recruit if you're an organization that may have a project at some time in the future. (2) Tell people what kind of work you have for them. For commissions, also tell them how much work it will probably be. (3) Tell people how much work on your project is already complete. (4) Always open recruitment threads in the correct subforum - Free, Commercial or Paid Work.
Aviala
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Your Royal Gayness, Love Bug, Lovingly Evil
Organization: Lizard Hazard Games
Tumblr: lizardhazardgames
itch: aviala

Editor and minigame Coder needed (EU only)

#1 Post by Aviala »

EDIT: The writer and composer positions have now been filled but we still need an editor. Additionally, a new position has opened up: we need someone to help code a minigame for our prototype. I have edited the post below to reflect these changes.

Hey everyone!

I'm Salli "Aviala" Loikkanen from Lizard Hazard Games (previous titles include Your Royal Gayness and LoveBug). I'm working on a new game project with the working title "Villain Dating Simulator". In the game the player dates different stereotypical villains. The genres are humor and fantasy. The player character is customizable and the game has male, female and nonbinary/other characters as love interests, so all applicants need to be LGBT+ friendly or LGBT+ themselves. We don't tolerate homophobia or any other form of discrimination.

We've received some funding for the game, and the organizers want us to create a prototype of the game by March - and our budget also needs to be spent by March. Since the money is EU grant money we can only use services from inside the EU. Sorry rest of the world…

We're looking for an editor and a coder.
You need to have a VAT number (which usually comes with a company) so you can bill the organizers directly or use a billing service that has a VAT number.
The grant isn't very large so we're looking for indie-friendly rates.

The game includes many different kinds of villains, including the Devil, so if you're heavily religious this may not be the right project for you to work on.

To apply email or PM me with the following details:

Portfolio/Samples
CV/resume/work experience
Your rates
Your country of residence
Do you have a VAT number or access to a billing service?
How much time can you spend on this project in the next couple of months?
And any other information that you think is relevant.

Send your application to lizardhazardgames (at) gmail.com (replace (at) with @, I'm trying to avoid spam bots) or PM me. You can also comment on this thread if you have questions or comments! I'll probably stop accepting applications in a week or so, but I'll edit the post to reflect that when the time comes.

Editor:

-Must have prior editing experience
-Fluent in English, preferably a native speaker
-Must be able to meet deadlines (which are somewhat negotiable)
-Must be at least somewhat familiar with villain tropes and stereotypes in western media
-Understanding of social and LGBT issues is a plus since most of the team is LGBT and we want to have a safe working environment

The editor's task is to edit the writer's work and make sure that the writing styles aren't too different. We're expecting the game to be at least 60 000 words long so you need to be able to dedicate enough time to the project to read and edit everything. The editor needs to finish editing at least one of the routes by March, but preferably more.
For more info on the writing, you can read the section below.

The game isn't a traditional visual novel -- instead it will feature a conversation topic system where different topics are unlocked as the game progresses. The love interests will be situated in certain locations and the player can choose who to go talk to, and then choose the conversation topic.

We're looking to reach a wider audience than just the core visual novel fans so individual conversations need to be somewhat short, and long, boring discussions or narration should be avoided. We want the game to rely heavily on villain tropes and dark humor. We're aiming the game for about 15 and up so there will not be any sex scenes but there will be references to violence and possibly racy and/or dark jokes.

Coder:

-Must have prior experience with coding gameplay mechanics and/or minigames in Python/Ren'py.
-Must be able to meet deadlines (which are somewhat negotiable)
-Must have good communication skills

The coder's job is to code a minigame for the Devil's route where the player needs to multitask: They must tend to a grill and fulfill orders while also listening to personal and work related problems that imps have. So, the minigame must be time sensitive with maybe click and drag mechanics for the ingredients, and there must be a conversation system to talk with the imps and score system to measure the player's performance. The coder also needs to use ATL to add simple animations to the game, like imps sliding into the screen etc. We will provide the art for you of course, though you may need to work with placeholders in the beginning while the artist(s) work on the sprites etc. You'll need to communicate with the team and make sure that you're on the same page with the designers and artists.

We have a game design document for the minigame, which I can share privately if needed. The coder will not be required to code any other parts of the game, such as menus etc, but they should write comments in their minigame code to explain what it does so I can adjust things myself later on if needed. This is extremely important since it'll be very difficult and troublesome if I need to contact the coder every time I want to make a small adjustment (like adjust how much time it takes to grill one sausage, for example). Ideally, the minigame would be coded in a way that I can easily create new levels for it myself (I have experience coding with Ren'Py, just not enough to code a minigame from scratch within 2 months while also drawing, coding conversations and leading the project).

This minigame's 1st level needs to be finished by March (and we'll test, fix and adjust things during early March). There will be 4 levels total, but after the base mechanics have been coded I'll probably only need help if we run into bugs or problems.
Last edited by Aviala on Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

LeetMusic
Veteran
Completed: Cursed Lands, Roommates, Wildfire: Ticket To Rock, Seeds Of Chaos
Projects: LeetStreet Boys, Paladin Dream, Murder Is Game Over

Re: Writer(s), an Editor and Composers needed (EU only)

#2 Post by LeetMusic »

For those of us who are not in Europe but have friends there, would it be possible for you to pay my friend and then my friend to pay me (if hired?) Not sure if this is kosher with your grant money agreement.

inkeyesmusic
Projects: Trumpealo, Pet City Ballons, Kibo, Tabaco Asesino, Garnet
IRC Nick: inkeyesmusic
Tumblr: inkeyesmusic
Soundcloud: inkeyesmusic

#3 Post by inkeyesmusic »

I'm not in Europe, but I do have a Bank Account from Spain... Because I studied aboard for one year. Also, if it's needed to have some EU documentation, I do have it because I'm double National, I'm both Mexican and Spanish.

naqlada
Regular
Projects: Plenty awesome ones. Search my posts or just ask, won't bite...

#4 Post by naqlada »

Should you ever offer Writer/Editor opportunities in the future for us sad sacks outside of the EU, I'l be ready. Til then, happy trails in crossing the finish.

Aviala
Miko-Class Veteran

#5 Post by Aviala »

Hey everyone, and sorry for the late answer.

@Leetmusic
I'd really like to be able to say that yes, you can have your friend from EU send me a bill, but the area limitation probably exists because they want the money to stay inside the EU. It might be doable, so feel free to send me an email or PM with your application, including your rates etc, and describe the way you'd handle the billing. I can't make any promises yet but I can look into it once I have a bit more info.

@inkeyesmysic
If you have a bank account and documentation in EU and you can bill the organizers from inside the EU I would imagine that's fine.

@naqlada
If we still need freelancers in the spring I might open a new recruitment post and spend my own company money (so there would be no area limitations). I'll have to see how much we can get done with the time and money we have right now.

I haven't answered any emails yet so if anyone's wondering, I probably got your email. I'm just incredibly busy with the project so I haven't had time to go through the applications yet. I'll start reading them today. Meanwhile, if anyone is still interested in applying there's still time.

naqlada
Regular
Projects: Plenty awesome ones. Search my posts or just ask, won't bite...

#6 Post by naqlada »

Aviala wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:22 pm
@naqlada
If we still need freelancers in the spring I might open a new recruitment post and spend my own company money (so there would be no area limitations). I'll have to see how much we can get done with the time and money we have right now.
Music to the skin/cartilage-discs on my head.

Aviala
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Editor and minigame Coder needed (EU only)

#7 Post by Aviala »

We've found a composer and two writers, but we're still looking for an editor. Thank you so much for applying, everyone! Additionally, a new position has opened up: Minigame Coder! I edited the first post so check it out if you're interested.

Aviala
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Editor and minigame Coder needed (EU only)

#8 Post by Aviala »

I've found an editor but I still need to find someone to code the minigame. So far no-one has applied for the coder position so anyone who does has a good chance of getting the job ;)