Artist for hire

Forum rules
Never bump threads. Per rule 16, updates may be posted once every 2 months. Per rule 18, disclose generative AI use when creating/updating a thread. Violating these rules may led to thread deletion.
Nightz

Artist for hire

#1 Post by Nightz »

Hello, been a while since I've been on here, but whatever, I'm Nightz, a freelance artist looking to be hired by... well, anyone really. I can make sprites, backgrounds and a little bit of animated sprites as well. I just need to find my previous works to post on here for the animated, but here are some of my examples of artwork.

If you're interested, feel free to contact me via this forum or via notes, and we'll discuss both what you'd like and payment. Thank you for your time.
PRICE LISTING
Character sprites: $10 a sprite with three emotions
+$3 for each additional emotion
+$5 for each additional pose
Animated sprite: $30 with three emotions

Background:
VN Backgrounds: $15 per background
Other genre background (like sidescrolling or RPG or etc.,): $25 per background

Cutscene art: $18 each picture

And I accept payment through Paypal.
Foxy .jpg
Freddy.jpg
DR Wolf BG.jpg
BG1.jpg
Stage 1a WIP.png
BlueBeetleVSKabuto1_zpsf84fce0a.jpg
Bonnie .jpg
Mioda.jpg
GundamWIP.jpg
Yuya1.jpg
Last edited by Nightz on Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Veteran
Completed: Dungeons and Don't Do It, Wake Up
Projects: Lethe
IRC Nick: Pacermist

Re: Artist for hire

#2 Post by 78909087 »

Excuse me for a moment, but just as a guide- in case you don't recieve many replies.
Greeny wrote:2: Your price is not a factor of your skills

Remember that as an artist taking commissions, you are a freelancer. As a freelancer, your price is not a factor of your skills, it's a factor of how much the other is willing to pay you. Fret not, your skills are a part of that. But so is their budget, your attitude, how fast you work, your reputation, how much the next artist is asking (spoiler: it's less than what you're asking), how much art they're asking for (the more they need, the cheaper they'll look for), even their mood today.

Some people will tell you that your price should be a measure of your countries' average wages. Ethically, this is just, but unfortunately, it's ultimately meaningless. You are not on a salary, you are an independent freelancer. Your market has its own rules, its own measures. The only money you get is the money they give you.

Don't get me wrong though. It's you who puts the price tag on your art. Never underprice yourself. However, it's important to understand that you can't measure your price by how good you are, and you can't measure how good you are by your price. Set a price you're willing to work for. If nobody will hire you at that price, consider lowering it. If you get flushed with offers, consider raising it in the future. Of course, you should never change your prices after an offer has been made. ("You want to hire me? Great! I guess I'm worth more. I decided I want more money for it then." People will suddenly realize they don't want to hire you after all, or ever again.) You can update your prices for new offers as frequently as you like, however, as long as you keep track of what your prices were for each commission you're in the process of doing.

Never ask them to make you a price offer. It doesn't look professional, and most importantly, what they want is to pay you as little as humanly possible. You don't want to be paid as little as humanly possible.

Most importantly though, never work at a price you're not comfortable with.

I would encourage you to look at your country's minumum wage as a starting point. You can work your way up the ladder from there, but you deserve at least that much when you're investing your own time for someone else. If you live in a country with low minumum wages, consider charging more for you work. Remember that while your country's wages may be low, your market is a global one and that means your market's earnings will average much higher.

Greeny wrote:15: Your thread
When you're not going to people who are recruiting, your thread is where you'll get your jobs from...
- Have a complete price list. Don't ask people to pm you for prices; you're asking them to put an effort when you want to get hired. Not to mention, if you're not willing to publicly post your prices, people will assume they're high.

Just a guideline. The rest can be found here.

(This is assuming this is your first thread for commissions...)