Background artist for hire! [closed, ask about future work]

Forum rules
Never bump threads. Per rule 16, updates may be posted once every 2 months. Per rule 18, disclose generative AI use when creating/updating a thread. Violating these rules may led to thread deletion.
Lucas Schneider

Background artist for hire! [closed, ask about future work]

#1 Post by Lucas Schneider »

Hello! My name is Lucas, and I am a freelance artist looking to do commissions.
I can do backgrounds, concepts, finished illustrations, characters, and quite a lot more! I do specialize in backgrounds, but I would love it if you give me a chance to do characters as well. I can even try to match an existing style or theme.
Below are some examples of my backgrounds:

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

----
If you want to see some of my other art (characters, line art, or other types of art not showcased here),
head over to my deviantART page: http://lucasschneider.deviantart.com/

I would like to do these commissions on a name-your-own-price base, where you can
come at me with a proposal of what you think a job is worth, and we can hash out a deal.
Feel free to shoot me an email at mr.lucasschneider@gmail.com if you'd like to work together.

~Lucas
Last edited by Lucas Schneider on Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

nanna4673
Regular
Completed: A Question Of Normalcy
Projects: Magari
Tumblr: Kajilia
Deviantart: ferris4673
itch: nanna4673

Re: (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ Background artist for hire! (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ

#2 Post by nanna4673 »

Now I am sorry if I am misunderstanding, but are your work for free or is there a price?

You see I am looking for a background artist (or just someone to draw a couple of backgrounds) for my silly little free otome game^_^

Oh and your backgrounds are amazing! They are so detailed and pretty!!^^
Finished projects:
A Question Of Normalcy - Contemporary VN, NaNoReno 2017: https://nanna4673.itch.io/a-question-of-normalcy

Magari - Contemporary, Slice of life, Romance VN for NaNoRenO 2019: https://nanna4673.itch.io/magari

Older projects:
19 Hours - Experimental, psychological VN: http://nanna4673.itch.io/19-hours

Choice - Short visual novel for NaNoRenO 2015: http://nanna4673.itch.io/choice

Dreamcatcher - Supernatural, psychological, mystery VN: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=39810

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#3 Post by trooper6 »

I love your work! I don't have a project for you just yet, but I will certainly keep you in mind for future projects!
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

Lucas Schneider

#4 Post by Lucas Schneider »

@trooper6, Thank you! I appreciate that. I hope to continue working at these commissions for as long as I can.

@nanna4673, Well, I planned on doing the work at a name-your-own price basis because I was not sure what people were able to pay for their various projects. If you need work done for free we would have to work out a deal for the art with special rules, such as my ability to use the art for other things. Typically when I do commission work, people are paying me for the time I put into the images as well as the rights to the image in their project or game, as well as exclusivity to that work (I don't even post it online without permission or a huge watermark). But, if I were doing work for free, I would want to be able to use the art I created for my own purposes however I please, and of course also give license to whomever commissioned it to use it for their project, but nothing beyond that. Then I would basically consider the art as practice and it's a win-win for everyone!

Sorry for the long explanation! I am very busy right now, so any new projects would go on the back burner, but feel free to email me or comment again here if you want more info. :D

Fox Lee
Veteran
Completed: Where Ages Go [NaNo2015]
Projects: Swan x Swan [YuriJam/NaNo16], ♥ON, Guilded Age
Organization: Invincible Ink
Deviantart: foxlee
itch: foxlee

#5 Post by Fox Lee »

You do beautiful work! Paying for backgrounds is not on the cards for me right now, but when it is you'll be on my mind.
Fox Lee: The Girl Your Mother Warned You About
CleanDirtyFurryPro

Lucas Schneider

#6 Post by Lucas Schneider »

@Fox Lee, Thank you! I am glad you'll keep me in mind for your future works and I hope to be available at that time.

I also want to make a general announcement on this thread that I am quite busy with commissions now and I may not be able to take on much more work at the present time. However, if you want to talk about working on a project feel free to leave a reply here or email me and we can stay in contact for future projects! Thank you all who have said hello and talked to me!

Jae
Regular
Projects: Pokémon Academy Life

#7 Post by Jae »

Honestly, how long on average does it take for you to complete a background like the ones you've provided?

When I'm commissioning artists, I try to be fair and pay $X based on how much time would be spent on an image.

I'm looking for BG artists right now, so I'm trying to get a feel for who's out there.

Lucas Schneider

#8 Post by Lucas Schneider »

Hey @Jae! Thank you for the interest. The images I have provided as examples can take a varying amount of time, but I am fully confident in my ability to do high quality backgrounds within a week depending on my schedule. Hourly times are difficult to estimate, as it can vary even between similar images. I would risk saying that for a very high quality image I would expect just less than 10 hours of work, and it also depends on the subject. Less complex or ambitious ones, of course, would take less time.

Hope that gives you an idea!

Sami-Fire
Regular
Tumblr: execdreamcycle
Deviantart: Sami-Fire
Soundcloud: Sami-Fire

#9 Post by Sami-Fire »

Hello! I see that you're busy, but I'm thinking that I might send you an e-mail anyway, just so that we can discuss a potential project for when you're not so busy. Your work looks right up my alley!

Kate
Regular
Projects: Blackout
Organization: Moonlight Otome

#10 Post by Kate »

Do you do backgrounds of indoor locations?
Current Project:
Blackout [VN][Romance][GxB][Mystery][Suspense] http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 43&t=34118
"It is the duty of authors to make the fantastic seem ordinary and the ordinary seem fantastic." - K. Auer

Lucas Schneider

#11 Post by Lucas Schneider »

Thank you for the interest, Sami and Kate.
Sami-Fire, I got your email and I will respond there. Thank you!
Kate, I do! I am not as confident, nor do I have as much experience with them as I do with outdoor scenes, but I am steadily improving and confident in my indoor drawing skills now. However, I am quite busy and unfortunately cannot take any more commissions at this point, so I will probably be tagging this thread as closed pretty soon.