Pixel Artist Looking For Long-Term Project

Forum rules
Never bump threads. Per rule 16, updates may be posted once every 2 months. Per rule 18, disclose generative AI use when creating/updating a thread. Violating these rules may led to thread deletion.
nearlynoon
Tumblr: nearlynooncartoon

Pixel Artist Looking For Long-Term Project

#1 Post by nearlynoon »

Hello everyone,

I am a pixel artist interested in taking on a visual novel project in the short- or especially long-term that I can sharpen my art skills on. I've been interested in making visual novels for a long time, I got into them right after Tsukihime was translated. I'm really interested in the sort of fiction that can be written in VN form, but I have trouble sticking with the writing bits of their creation, mostly because I get fed up and just go make more art for them until they're all art and no story (a bad mixture). So if you have a story that you think could be told well with low-res, low-color pixel art, I'd love to work with you!

But enough about what I think. You want to see what I can do. Lucky for you, I have a bunch of screenies and mockups from a VN I threw together for my portfolio a while ago! They illustrate what I'm capable of pretty well, I think!

First off, I created a color palette especially for visual novels. It is called Eroge Pewter, and it has sixteen colors, mostly reds and browns.

Then I made a bunch of fake screenshots from what I thought would be good scenes in the novel to show off my skills. I'm actually really terrible at programming, so I didn't actually put these together in any engine like Ren'Py. They just came out of photoshop.

Questions You Might Ask
Can you do more complex backgrounds?
Yes, and it depends on the colors used and the resolution of the project. With Eroge Pewter, simple backgrounds are best, otherwise it starts to interfere with how the characters read on the screen. Other color schemes allow for better backgrounds, but at the loss of some neat characteristics. Limited color schemes force you to be clever, and I like that. But if we end up working together, we'll work that out.

Can you do (x) style? (anime, not anime, realism, etc)
Sure! I like messing around with 'style'. My default style, if such a thing exists, is anime-influenced, and you can see it pretty well in the From the Deep mockups I did.

Will you make art for my (insert creepy or sexy thing) VN?
Probably~! I am open to all sorts of supposed nastiness in the name of art, and have no opposition to doing H-scenes. On the other hand, if you don't want to do that, I'm fine with that too! We'll talk it over. If you think I might find your idea questionable, mention it in your PM to me. I doubt it'll be an issue.

Will you design GUI's?
Sure, but I'm no expert at it. I'll do my best, but if you want really good GUI design you should look somewhere else.

How much are you charging for your art?
I am not looking for payment at this time.

Sound interesting to you? Send me a PM!
~nearlynoon

Lucky1443
Regular
Projects: SACRIFICE
Tumblr: Lucky1443
Deviantart: Lucky1443

Re: Pixel Artist Looking For Long-Term Project

#2 Post by Lucky1443 »

Your art style is adorable, I'll definitely consider you for a project :3
OPEN for SPRITE/CG ART viewtopic.php?f=62&t=38654 FREE TO USE ASSETS viewtopic.php?f=52&t=39634

Ghost #9
Regular
Projects: Imaginarium
Organization: AlteRealm

#3 Post by Ghost #9 »

Let me start off by saying that I LOVE your work! Your skill as a pixel artist is undeniable. Probably the best I've seen on this forum, at the very least! You've most certainly managed to take the limited pallet of Eroge Pewter and torn it into some stunning visuals!

I would love to work with you, but I do have a few additional questions!

1. How set on using Eroge Pewter are you? I did mention above that it works well, but the particular colors therein -- lots of browns and dark blues -- seem to fit some story themes better than others. At least in my mind.

2. I noticed on your blog that you do animations. Definitely a double-plus! Is that something you'd consider incorporating for this project?

3. Do you have any particular themes or genres that you're especially interested in? Collaborating is much more fun if all parties involved are engaged in the story being told!

nearlynoon
Tumblr: nearlynooncartoon

#4 Post by nearlynoon »

Ghost #9 wrote:Let me start off by saying that I LOVE your work! Your skill as a pixel artist is undeniable. Probably the best I've seen on this forum, at the very least! You've most certainly managed to take the limited pallet of Eroge Pewter and torn it into some stunning visuals!

I would love to work with you, but I do have a few additional questions!

1. How set on using Eroge Pewter are you? I did mention above that it works well, but the particular colors therein -- lots of browns and dark blues -- seem to fit some story themes better than others. At least in my mind.

2. I noticed on your blog that you do animations. Definitely a double-plus! Is that something you'd consider incorporating for this project?

3. Do you have any particular themes or genres that you're especially interested in? Collaborating is much more fun if all parties involved are engaged in the story being told!
Thank you for the wonderful compliments. To answer your questions:

1: I like EP a lot, I'm proud of it to say the least, but it's really just a demo of a certain design philosophy and limitations of available hues. Color is my thing, so I usually start my own projects by creating a special color palette just for that project. EP was an attempt to make a general VN palette, but I am in no way set on using it for everything.

2: Yes! Animations are fun, but I think they mesh with VNs a little oddly. But if you have ideas for how it'd work, I'm all ears.

3: Sure. I like fantasy more than sci-fi, and I favor imagination over convention and tradition in all themes and genres. That's super-vague, but I feel like there are good ideas in every genre to be explored. I personally like to draw action scenes, so a story with at least some action wouldn't go amiss.

~nearlynoon

Morhighan
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: AIdol, When Our Journey Ends, Forgotten Not Lost
Organization: MysteryCorgi
Tumblr: MysteryCorgi
Deviantart: MysteryCorgi
Soundcloud: MysteryCorgi
itch: MysteryCorgi

#5 Post by Morhighan »

Your work is wonderful!
I'd love to work with you someday, should a project arise.
I have been considering using pixel art for a VN for a while, though I am also trying to branch into RPGs. I currently have a fantasy story I'm hoping to work on, maybe we can swap ideas.
Also my boyfriend, who is a game designer, looked at your art longingly, so maybe he'll have a project idea as well.
Best of luck! Feel free to contact me any time!

WilliamofBangor

#6 Post by WilliamofBangor »

You're pixel art is excellent. Your comic artwork for Maga caught my attention as well. The color scheme is an attention grabber. It reminds me somewhat of Jacob Wyatt's comic Necropolis (his personal project, he does some marvel work as well).

I have a short project that might fit well I'll send by PM. Hope you find an excellent longer project, as the writer would be lucky to have you.

PetPeeve
Regular
Tumblr: agamemakingblogforcoolkids

#7 Post by PetPeeve »

Gah... I love your art style so much... Will definitely be keen to have you join my next project if you aren't overwhelmed with requests by then!
ImageImageImageImage

warmsundae
Regular
Soundcloud: lanterny

#8 Post by warmsundae »

Oh, your art is really impressive. I'd fall in love with a vn as beautiful as this - especially paired with a story that fits the color scheme.

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

#9 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

Wow. Really nice work, nearlynoon. I love your style, and Eroge Pewter is a magnificent palette. Your mock-ups are dead-on and remind me of gaming in DOS back in the day. Which is a good thing!

I think you are selling yourself short (literally) by offering this kind of work for free. I'd drop money on a game in this style in a heartbeat.

Oh, and welcome to Lemmasoft!

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

#10 Post by jack_norton »

Agreed, it reminds me of the old DOS adventures too. Very good job. If I hadn't already 3120981 projects going on I would consider hiring you :) maybe next year...
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games

Logic Nerd

#11 Post by Logic Nerd »

You have a fantastic art style! I would love to work on a collaboration project with you. I'm a software engineer with over 6 years of expertise. Please message me on Skype to discuss further: SubZeroGaming

Best,

Jonathan

TheRedHare
Regular
Projects: Parricide
Organization: Poena Cullei
Tumblr: theredharestuff

#12 Post by TheRedHare »

I'm looking for a pixel artist for a long term commercial project.

You can find some details on our studio website, or via pm with myself in terms of long term aspects, including rev-share and payment options. I would not want to hire you if you are free, as I need someone long term who will have a vested interest to stay apart of the team.

nanna4673
Regular
Completed: A Question Of Normalcy
Projects: Magari
Tumblr: Kajilia
Deviantart: ferris4673
itch: nanna4673

#13 Post by nanna4673 »

Oh man I am IN LOVE with your art style! It has so much atmosphere and personality! I have an idea for a not too long free VN that would fit so well with your art style, but I get the feeling you're going to be busy and even though I can code and write I'm not the best out there and your art really deserves the best!

But please do PM me if you wanna hear about the idea(it's in the very early stages)or if you want to work with me!

Love
Nanna
Finished projects:
A Question Of Normalcy - Contemporary VN, NaNoReno 2017: https://nanna4673.itch.io/a-question-of-normalcy

Magari - Contemporary, Slice of life, Romance VN for NaNoRenO 2019: https://nanna4673.itch.io/magari

Older projects:
19 Hours - Experimental, psychological VN: http://nanna4673.itch.io/19-hours

Choice - Short visual novel for NaNoRenO 2015: http://nanna4673.itch.io/choice

Dreamcatcher - Supernatural, psychological, mystery VN: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=39810

sinum

#14 Post by sinum »

I sent you a PM. I would absolutely love to talk to you about this, since I'm really interested in your art!