Writer & Proofreader [Commission/Free]

Forum rules
Never bump threads. Per rule 16, updates may be posted once every 2 months. Violating these rules may led to thread deletion.
lunaterra
Projects: A Tale of Two Extras
itch: lunaterra-

Writer & Proofreader [Commission/Free]

#1 Post by lunaterra » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:23 pm

STATUS
Paid Writing - Open
Paid Proofreading - Open
Free Writing - CLOSED
Free Proofreading - Open
Hello! You can call me Luna or Natasha, depending on whether you’re more comfortable with aliases or real names. I’m a 25-year-old native English speaker born, raised, and currently living in the United States. I’ve been writing, editing, and proofreading on an amateur basis since I was a teenager. I’m passionate about story-based, narrative, and text-heavy games!

VN-Style Writing Samples

I | II | III | IV

In Progress
Commissions & Partnerships

Unnamed RPG - writer
Secret Otome VN - writer for two routes
Red Eyes in the Darkness - The Tainted Blood: Chimaera - editor
Falling Leaves - editor
The Secrets We Keep - editor
Incompatible Species - editor, episode 3 onward
NEKOKORO - proofreader (common route), editor (Iris route)
Selfish - editor

Personal
A Tale of Two Extras

Complete
Commissions & Partnerships

Pairs - proofreader (Kitten's, Ricardo's, and Dragon's routes), NaNoRenO 2017
This, My Soul - proofreader, NaNoRenO 2017
can you say my name again - proofreader, most of chapter 1, Yuri Game Jam 2017
Dancing with a Beautiful Robot - proofreader (Undertale fangame)
Picture Perfect Romance - editor, prologue

I will write:
  • GxB, GxG, BxB, BxG, and romances involving non-binary characters
  • Fantasy: high fantasy, urban fantasy, science fantasy, magical realism
  • Science fiction: space opera; “20 minutes into the future”
  • Romance
  • Slice-of-life
  • Violent content
  • Visual novels, Twine stories, and RPG plots/dialogue
  • Historical fiction: I have a BA in History, specialized in early modern Europe, though I’m more than happy to write for any time period and any locale. While I’m willing to do research for historical fiction, there will be an additional fee for projects requiring large amounts of research. This will be negotiated before I begin writing; I will not add research fees after we have already decided on a price.
I will not write:
  • Guro/sexualized violence
  • Incest
  • Lolicon/shotacon; romance between an adult and a minor, regardless of the genders involved
  • Romanticized abuse
These restrictions also apply to proofreading.

If you’d like to commission me, either send me an email (preferred) at lunaterra25[at]gmail[dot]com or PM me here with information about your project, including the project’s word count. (For writing commissions, this will be an approximate estimate. I cannot accept writing commissions with no word count goal.) You must include your expected deadline if there is one. I will not take commissions if I believe that I will not be able to write/edit/proofread your requested story within your deadline. Additionally, I have a minimum order length requirement of 2000 words.

I also reserve the right to not take commissions for projects which do not interest me. This isn’t anything personal; I simply believe that I will not be able to adequately do a writing job if I’m not interested in the concept behind it. That’s not fair to you. The more information you provide me (backstory, worldbuilding, character descriptions, any already-finished art assets), the more likely I am to accept your offer, and the better the finished product will be.

If you would like to see a sample of my writing with your concept, I am willing to provide one 200-600 word sample of my writing for free. Any further samples, as well as samples over 600 words, require payment at my normal rate.

Rates and rules for commercial games (all prices in USD, paid via PayPal):
  • Writing: $0.04/word. 50% estimate paid upfront, remainder paid after completion
  • Proofreading: $0.01/word, 50% paid upfront, remainder paid after completion
  • Writing research: Varies depending on the time spent researching and depth of research required; the rate will be negotiated per project.
  • If, for whatever reason, I find myself unable to finish your project with less than half of the work completed, I will give you a refund based on how much work I have completed (and many, many apologies).
  • You must credit me in the credits for your game. For certain projects, I may choose to use a (different) pseudonym.
For free games, I am willing to open one free writing slot and two free proofreading slots (each).
  • Free games can be of any length and complexity, although I will be much more selective with free slots.
  • I will prioritize paid projects over free projects, so work may be slow, especially for the free writing slot. Keep that in mind if you have a strict deadline.
  • If my slots are full, but you’d still like me to write for your free game, I will accept payment at my normal commercial rate. These will be treated the same as commercial games in terms of priority (i.e., a free game for which I am being paid will receive higher priority than a game I am doing for free).
  • You must credit me in the credits of your game. For certain projects, I may choose to use a (different) pseudonym.
Last edited by lunaterra on Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:41 pm, edited 21 times in total.

lunaterra

Re: Writer, Editor, & Proofreader [Commission/Free]

#2 Post by lunaterra » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:29 pm

Hello! It's been a while since I first posted this thread, hasn't it? I have some updates to share!
  • I've added some projects I've worked on and am currently working on to the first post.
  • For various reasons, I am not currently accepting offers to write for free. (However, I am still willing to edit or proofread for free games!)
  • Unfortunately, due to financial issues in my life, I have to increase my per word writing rate from US$0.02 to US$0.04. However, unlike with my previous rate, I am willing to negotiate downwards for small projects. This price increase will only affect future jobs, not the jobs I am currently working on. My per word rates for editing and proofreading will stay the same.
As I am currently writing for multiple projects, I would prefer offers for editing and proofreading, though I will still consider any offers for paid writing gigs.

lunaterra

#3 Post by lunaterra » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:00 pm

I've updated the first post!
  • My free editing slots are currently full. I still have both free proofreading slots and all paid slots open.
  • I've had a few people ask what the difference between editing and proofreading is, so I've added short explanations of each. I hope it helps people figure out which role is most appropriate for their needs! :)

lunaterra

Re: Writer, Editor, & Proofreader [Commission/Free] [WRITING CLOSED]

#4 Post by lunaterra » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:25 pm

Due to personal circumstances, I will not be accepting any writing commissions (free or paid) for the foreseeable future.

Paid editing and free & paid proofreading slots are still open.

lunaterra

#5 Post by lunaterra » Sun May 06, 2018 10:11 pm

Paid writing slots are now open again.

NaiDriftlin
Regular

#6 Post by NaiDriftlin » Mon May 14, 2018 8:01 pm

Would you be willing to write web/page copy?

I'm a bit torn between development and maintaining our outreach pages and someone with your depth of knowledge in VNs, I'd think you'd be a good candidate for it.
Honest Feedback Welcome! viewtopic.php?f=43&t=42105#p440676
Want feedback? Just ask!

Want instant feedback?
Join me on Discord Devtalk! https://discord.gg/K3w2khD

lunaterra

#7 Post by lunaterra » Mon May 14, 2018 9:00 pm

I don't have any experience with copy writing, but I could certainly give it a shot. PM or email me with the details.

Dharker
Regular

#8 Post by Dharker » Wed May 23, 2018 7:29 am

If you were doing a paid writing job, how many words per week would you be able to complete?

lunaterra

#9 Post by lunaterra » Wed May 23, 2018 10:43 am

It depends on a lot of factors, but I'd estimate between 5k and 8k words.

lunaterra

Re: Writer & Proofreader [Commission/Free]

#10 Post by lunaterra » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:44 pm

For various reasons, I am discontinuing my editing services. I will complete all of my currently active editing jobs, but will not accept any more until further notice.

I am also raising my proofreading rate in order to better reflect the time and effort it takes to go through a script.

My writing services will go on as before.