Trading writing for art help on Kaguya Hime! [CLOSED]

Forum rules
Never bump threads. Per rule 16, updates may be posted once every 2 months. Per rule 18, disclose generative AI use when creating/updating a thread. Violating these rules may led to thread deletion.
ArachneJericho
Regular
Projects: Kaguya Hime
Tumblr: mousedeerproductions

Trading writing for art help on Kaguya Hime! [CLOSED]

#1 Post by ArachneJericho »

I have a CG artist, but not in trade for writing.

Hello!

Are you an artist who can do CG backgrounds and are looking for a writer?

I am willing to trade my writing skills for your artist skills.

My current VN project is Kaguya Hime; for information about the story and characters, here is the thread: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 43&t=29051 and chapter 1 (which I would like two CGs for) has a deadline of January 1, 2015.

And now, samples!

First, one adapted to the Visual Novel format, assuming ADV mode rather than the freedom of NVL mode.
The goddess has no heart. I was her sister; I should know.

Once I had her body hung from a hook next to my throne.
I stripped every last sham of meaning from her shallow life of fine clothes,
and not a care in the world apart from a dance and a night with a pretty boy.
They came begging me to release her, for once paying attention to the sister who truly mattered:
The one of death and owls and night.

I let her go, the little wench.
So many years ago, now celebrated in story as the arrival of spring.

One day, the paths of the dead lay silent.

I walked past the seven gates of Irkalla.
The guardians stood still, waiting upon no soul.

Finally, I stood at the threshold of the first gate.
I looked out into the domain of the living.
I watched for the movement of reeds and water...
... listened for the sound of birds... smelled for the scent of growth and life.
None were forthcoming.
The air was grey, and above me I could not send my brother Sun, nor my father Moon.

For the first time in my existence, I was afraid.

It does not come easy to a force of darkness.
Blind fear robbed my mind of all sense.
I stepped onto the land of the living, a forbidden act for the queen of death—

—and survived.

I had always cursed my twin for her freedom in crossing between the lands of the dead and the living.
As if it were no more than crossing a brook, as if on touching foot to ground her existence would not be obliterated.
She should have known better to trespass after watching my condemnation to the shadows.

Had my sentence been lifted? I took another step.
Brown dust drifted across my feet.

No. I was free because Irkalla had no further purpose as the endpoint of the living.

Yet where were the gods?
Where was my mother, the great lady?
Where was my brother, the Thunder?
I called out to each and every one of them, repeatedly, and received no answer.

There was nothing left of them.

In the emptiness of the world, for the first time, I wanted to hear the bells on her feet,
her coy voice teasing me that I would never be loved.
And now, an excerpt from "The Distance Between Sorrows"; you can read the full item here:
https://archiveofourown.org/works/1682252
But the mind remembers. It always remembers, even when you fool yourself into thinking that if you just forgot that the dates were coming, that you would be spared. There is always something that reminds the monster in your brain. Even in the Immortal Lands, where time is at best a loose agreement amongst the high beings currently in the area at the time, there is always something that betrays you. The scents in the air; the sound of the babbling brook where you spent your lunchtime, all innocent and so deeply in love that you never noticed the subtle plucking of the strings of that memory you swore you buried at sea. The way the light falls across the shadows.
And now, one of the little stories-within-a-story from Kaguya Hime, the VN in progress. MAJOR spoilers; highlight to read.

Tsuki no Kōgō
I never meant to tell you this.
My story is a sad one.

Tsuki-Hime
But it was one that had a happy ending with Otōsan, wasn't it?

There was grief and longing in her smile.

Tsuki no Kōgō
Yes. Otōsan and I were, and are, very happy together.
But we were not always together.
I grew up in a small village, but I was always an outsider.
I could never enjoy being a close part of society.
They said my mind wasn't right. That I was dangerous.

Tsuki-Hime
But you aren't dangerous, Okāsan. You're loving, kind, wise. Wonderful."

Tsuki no Kōgō
I... I agree with you now. There was a time when I would not have.
I saw... things that weren't there.
I heard voices and sounds that didn't exist.
Sometimes they were pleasant, but mostly they were not.

She looked harrowed.

Tsuki-Hime
Do you... do you still see and hear them?

Tsuki no Kōgō
I do. I learned to survive with them, even almost pass for normal, long before I met Otōsan.
But everyone in my village knew, and shunned me.
When my parents died, I had nobody, and thought I would die, too.

Tsuki-Hime
But you didn't die. You met Otōsan.

Tsuki no Kōgō
Yes. Every night for one hundred years he visited an old cherry tree.

Tsuki-Hime
One hundred years!

Tsuki no Kōgō
The Pearl Bridge between the Moon and the Earth only appears one night every century.
He abandoned the Moon to grieve on Earth for one hundred years.
The villagers thought him a yōkai haunting the tree, and stayed away.
They weren't far wrong. The tree marked where his lover died, a very long time ago.
When I was eighteen, just after my parents died, he had been in mourning for ninety years at that tree.
I brought him food every night for the ten years until the Pearl Bridge descended.
I thought, well, even yōkai have to eat.
And if I tell the truth, I hoped the stories would be true, and that he would kill me.
But he never moved to do so. At first he couldn't believe someone would do a kind thing for him.
And then, in a few months, he began talking to me about his lover, and those long-gone days they had enjoyed one another's company.
He loved them so deeply, and never found another, not during all his time on the Moon or his time on the Earth.
I didn't mind that he might never love me in that way.
And anyways, I thought that I could never be loved, the way that I was.
The first night with him that I had one of my... fits... I thought he would turn me away forever.
But he... he accepted me. Hallucinations and all. I kept waiting for him to turn me away.
He never did.
We became good friends, and very close. So close that... one day...
Well. We became lovers.
And when the Pearl Bridge appeared, I came back with him.
But that's not the end of my talents! You see, I'm a coder as well. I can code my script and frankly, if you have many twists and turns in your tale that back in on themselves, I'm quite capable of making them work. Here's the Twine of Chapter 1 of Kaguya Hime:
Screen Shot 2014-11-11 at 9.41.09 AM.png
So: you've got art skills? I've got your writing skills (and coding skills) right here.

PM me for more information about the two CGs I want, and there will be further CGs in the pipeline as the VN progresses, chapter by chapter, one chapter a month. There's a pace there. If I have to only ask for one CG a month, and a simple CG at that with an uncomplicated background, I will do so and cope, though I'd like to ask for two in preparation for the final chapter's split endings.

Thank you for reading. Hopefully, even if you don't consider me, I amused you.