Writer Looking for Work - Paid or Trade

Forum rules
Never bump threads. Per rule 16, updates may be posted once every 2 months. Per rule 18, disclose generative AI use when creating/updating a thread. Violating these rules may led to thread deletion.
KuroKoneko
Projects: Chance Arc - MotH
Organization: Twilight Beacon Entertainment
Deviantart: shameru

Writer Looking for Work - Paid or Trade

#1 Post by KuroKoneko »

Hi there,

I'm a writer, and I'm looking for work! I mostly write for myself and my projects, but I thought I'd open myself up to lending my skills to the community. I'm looking for writing work in visual novels, and I can work either for pay (which we can talk about and negotiate) or trade -- see below on that. I specialize in fantasy writing and am ESPECIALLY skilled in building unique storyworlds from concept to actualization. If you have a vague idea for your storyworld but aren't sure how the mechanics would work (what are the politics? what is your character or the race's origin story?) then I'm the gal you need in your corner. You can see samples of my work here:
Writing
http://kaalibilli.com/2011/09/06/tabithe/
There was rain today.

I saw it on the way in to the tents as I was ushered in, with people trying to hold umbrellas over my head to keep the moisture out; it wouldn’t do much good. The entire world seemed muggy and hazy this afternoon. Was would not be the correct word, though, because it is still raining, even now. I cannot see it falling, from my position in the backstage area, but I can hear it, and I can still smell it. The smell of sweets and spices from the surrounding marketplaces have been drowned out by that of warm, wet earth and fresh water as it falls from the sky. I can still hear people’s reaction to it as well. Workers are running in and out of the area outside of my door, yelling directions and orders at one another. Grab the line, don’t let the costumes get wet. Move this over a few feet, what in the Goddess’ name are you doing? On and on bark the calls, echoing down the halls to where I am now. Cast and crew alike are left wondering when the rain will let up.

Wondering if the rain will ever let up.

There is supposed to be a show today, but I’m not entirely certain that people will come now that the weather has gotten bad. No one is. For my part, I am safe, dry, and secure in the backstage area. I sit at my vanity, staring into the mirror at the face before me. My usually bronze-colored skin is pale today, so pale that it is almost whiter than the sheets on my bed. Underneath my eyes are dark, heavy circles, black with purplish highlights underneath. That same darkness is found in my cheekbones, making my face appear thin and gaunt. The spot where my nose used to be is now just an empty, hollowed hole.

It’s not my face that I’m staring at in that mirror. It’s that of a spirit of death.

And I smile back into the mirror, proud of my handiwork.
http://kaalibilli.com/2014/07/12/the-lo ... roduction/
I scrambled out of my bed, onto my feet. The shaman was necessary to give me an official statement. I couldn’t accept that. All I knew was that I had to get out of this place, now. A wave of dizziness washed over me; I caught my balance on the bedside table, knocking over the cup from earlier as I faltered and fell to the floor.

Outside the bed, the warmth and the smell of the lavender was gone. Outside, everything smelled cold. The room lacked the antiseptic scent of hospitals, but the frigidity remained. I peered into the darkness, trying to figure my surroundings. I could only make out a few things at this distance: there were a three other beds, but all were void of occupants. Their white and silver embroidered sheets were pristinely made, tucked and folded. On the other end of the room there was a sink and some towels were laid out.

I groped about in the darkness, over to the mirror over the sink. I could see I was wearing a white patient’s gown. My undergarments were gone, but thankfully, the back was closed up. I heard the door creak, and I turned toward it, my stomach filling with dread. Sara held the pitcher of water in her hands. I narrowed my eyes at the both of them.

“You are not my shaman.” The shaman for my village was very small. The man with Sara was very tall, broad shouldered. He had a long goatee, parted into two braids, tipped with silver and purple beads. They both turned toward where I stood at the sink.

“Janiya, my name is Lazarus.” I watched the man reach over and slowly turn up the lights a bit. He wore a silver tunic, embroidered in violet. He, too, wore the bass-treble-heart pendant, though his was in a necklace, surrounded by alternating silver and white beads. His voice was deep, and his eyes dark, like his skin.

I shook my head at him slowly. “You are not my shaman. I don’t know you.”

“I am the shaman of the region that currently houses you.”

“I will not accept this news from a stranger. I want my shaman. Where is my shaman?”

“Your shaman gave you to us. I need you to calm down and listen to me.”

“Why would he do that to me?” In contrast to my franticness, Lazarus was cool and collected. He gestured to my bed with his cane.

“Please sit, and we will talk.”
http://kaalibilli.com/2012/09/08/charac ... te-tethys/
“You knew how I was before you invited me here.” I keep the tone of my voice level; I see her wince. Just slightly. The truth is never comfortable. “You knew about me the moment I stepped foot in the bar. You’re the one who invited me over.”

“I know.”

“Then why are you asking why?” Her eyes close, and I see her begin to tremble. She shrugs. “Did you think that somehow you were different? That you would change me?”

She doesn’t say anything. She doesn’t move. She sits there, now with her arms wrapped around her waist, hugging herself tight.

Then she nods her head slowly. “I thought I’d be enough…”

I furrow my brows together in confusion. I don’t know what she means by that. It’s not the first time I’ve heard it, either. I’m not sure that there’s any such thing as enough, to me. There’s nothing wrong with any of them. They all seem to think that, though; that the ones before must not have been pretty enough, smart enough, thin enough, stacked enough… Then when they realize that I’m not going to change for them either, then they’re not beautiful enough, that they weren’t sexy enough, or that they didn’t try hard enough.

I run my hand across my hair. “It has nothing to do with you. This is all me. This is just what I do, and you knew that.”

She shakes her head.

“There must have been something –”

“Do me a favor.” Her eyes snap open when I interrupt her, and I have to force myself not to look away. The pain in her eyes is searing. She starts to sniffle now, scrunching her nightgown in her fingers as she hugs herself harder. “Hate me.” She starts to open her mouth to protest, but I rush on, not giving her room to speak. “Find someone else, some stable guy with a house and savings and a future… Make him fall in love with you. With the way you put x’s instead of dots over your I’s, your dimples when you smile, the way your nails are always perfectly trimmed.” I can see the beginnings of a smile, one that crosses her lips but doesn’t reach her eyes. “Lose yourself in him, marry him and think about how much better off you are without me. You deserve at least that.”

I cross the short yet incredibly long gap between us, and all motion in her body — the squeezing, the fidgeting, all of it — it all stops. I get down on my knees before her, looking at those soft brown eyes that, with a slight sliver of hope starting to return, plead for me not to leave. I reach forward to cup her face in my hands, and I tip her head downward to kiss her forehead. Just after that, I lean around, kissing her lightly behind her ear.

“Goodbye, Isabella. Have a beautiful life.”
Storyworld Building

http://kaalibilli.com/storyworlds/chance/races-of-dusk/

Character Bios, Lore Development, etc.

If I need to develop your concepts or ideas of characters into workable narrative players (building up the skeleton of your story from just an idea), I do charge differently/separately for that than I would just writing out your prose for you. I do this because it keeps the pricing fair and even. You can see some of my character bios here: http://kaalibilli.com/storyworlds/chance/characters/

Those are just surface bios for release; each of the characters has a history, demeanor, motivations, etc. It's a different phase of story writing/development.

I'll post a prototype of my own project here later, so that you can see how my visual novel flow works. I'm also skilled with working things into Python script, so there's that.

I'm primarily looking for paid gigs. In some rare cases, I'm open to trade; some of my projects need background art or sprites. They're slated to be commercial projects. We can discuss on that end, if you're so inclined.

I'm willing to try to work with people depending on what the budgets are for their projects, and how interested I am in them. If you're interested in using my services, inbox me!

Best,

Taryn
Last edited by KuroKoneko on Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Writer/Programmer for Twilight Beacon Entertainment
Works in Progress: Matters of the Heart
Facebook

KuroKoneko

Re: Writer Looking for Work - Paid or Trade

#2 Post by KuroKoneko »

Adding to this, so that people will have more clarity: if you write me and would like a quote, or if you'd like to know if I can write for you, give me an idea of the following:

Is this a kinetic novel or a branching novel? Is it a long-term project or a one-shot?

Give me a brief synopsis.

Example:
Average teenage girl Sarah Luna finds out that she is actually the reincarnation of a deity killed in a war between her planet and another years ago and now must be a champion of love and justice in order to save the world. Along the way she meets new friends. Will she be up for the challenge?
How many words do you approximate this will be? Alternately - if the player plays through one character route, how many hours would it take?

How many character routes are there?

How many acts would you say the overall story has? (girl wakes up, goes to school, meets talking cat, becomes super heroine, saves her best friend after henshining into a champion of justice, goes back to school the next day (Yes that is a Sailor Moon reference!))

How many main characters are there? Supporting characters?

How developed are your characters? Do you just have basic ideas or do you have their histories and personalities pretty fleshed out?

What would you rate your game on a movie rating scale?

And please tell me any other information you think would be helpful to know about your storyworld.

If you have this basic information together, you're probably a good candidate to become a client! Please answer the majority of these questions in your initial PM to me.

Thanks in advance.
Facebook

Ernestalice15
Regular
Projects: One Last Crane, Demoness, The Golden Catalyst
Organization: Animon Works
IRC Nick: Nomina
Tumblr: ernestalice15
Deviantart: Ernestalice15

#3 Post by Ernestalice15 »

Just wondering these questions.

1. Do you have any preferance of genre to write, other than Fantasy? And what can't you write (or at least, you don't want to write)? These are some sensitive genres I thought : Yaoi, Sexual Content, Gore.

2. Between Galge (dating for boys) and Otome (dating for girls), which one do you want to write?

3. How much time can you spend to write for one project? Will it depend on the amount of payment?

Thanks before :)

KuroKoneko

#4 Post by KuroKoneko »

Thanks for the great questions!

1. I don't typically write horror, though I've been told that I can write some very chilling scenes... I'm okay with ero that makes sense, but I don't think I'm really a gore person. I can describe it but I don't think I'd want to be in a project that's completely just goregoregore. I also don't want to write super graphically sexual content -- not because I can't, but because I feel that there's already enough of that in the market and I don't want that to be known as my brand, if that makes sense.

I wouldn't fancy myself a pro like Lovecraft at terror.

I don't have a problem with Yaoi/Yuri. Shota/Loli is no.

2. I suppose I tend to write Otome. Again, I just feel that there's already a lot of Galge out there. I can do Galge though.

3. It would depend on the amount of payment and the projected scope of the project. I have some other side projects and I freelance other things, so I try to keep my commitments balanced out. Some projects I can work on 5 hours a week; some get 10+.

As an additional point, which I'll add to the OP, having to do more of the story-outlining work (deep character or world development, bios) would end up costing a project more. For example, if someone comes to me with their characters sorted out and just needs me to write the prose, that's one thing, but if someone just comes to me with ideas/concepts for characters, worlds, or locales, that's going to cost more since there's research and development involved, etc.

I say this not because I want more money or am trying to be obtuse with my pricing, but because the fact of the matter is, anything like that needs to be done right, and thus requires more time. I prefer to be transparent with people. I should be able to put a flat fee on things like that shortly, if people would be interested in just those services.
Ernestalice15 wrote:Just wondering these questions.

1. Do you have any preferance of genre to write, other than Fantasy? And what can't you write (or at least, you don't want to write)? These are some sensitive genres I thought : Yaoi, Sexual Content, Gore.

2. Between Galge (dating for boys) and Otome (dating for girls), which one do you want to write?

3. How much time can you spend to write for one project? Will it depend on the amount of payment?

Thanks before :)
Facebook