Writing, Editing, and Proofreading (Small Projects Are Free!)

Forum rules
Never bump threads. Per rule 16, updates may be posted once every 2 months. Violating these rules may led to thread deletion.
Cipher
Organization: Various
Github: SleepyCiph

Writing, Editing, and Proofreading (Small Projects Are Free!)

#1 Post by Cipher » Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:07 pm

[issue][/issue]Please note: a TL;DR version and much better formatting can be found through this link!

My portfolio, which contains this document, my resume, and writing samples, can be found here.

About Me

I started writing as a hobby when I was very young, then progressed into forum roleplay when I was 13. Although I was dismal at first, some very supportive friends and staff helped me grow by leaps and bounds. At 16, I became a freelance ghostwriter on eBooks; however, being uncredited, underpaid, and often under hostile or unfair working conditions made it difficult to continue. When I lamented my situation to an artist friend of mine, she recommended I branch into visual novels.

Today, I mostly work in the VN / games industry. I’ve used a variety of pseudonyms throughout my career, but today I’m credited as Tristan “Cipher” Hallihan - a combination of my usual pseudonym and my real name. In the past I’ve gone by Cipher or CipherSeraph (no relation to certain fanfiction writers).

In addition, this may seem cliche or pretentious of me, but my philosophy isn’t just to improve a work; I like to help the writers working on it grow too, just like my friends and peers did for me! Quality is important to me, but I see writing and editing as a form of self-improvement too; if we stop growing as artists, our industry starts to stagnate.

Because of this belief, I give a balance of positive and negative feedback, the reasons behind my corrections (when asked), and examples that show how to improve / play to one’s strengths (when I can).

Overall, though, I’m not the foremost authority on anything! There are still times where I learn new things. I also understand that I’m not perfect on my end.

TL;DR:
  • Has been writing professionally since December of 2015.
  • Credited as Tristan “Cipher” Hallihan.
  • Has been credited as Cipher or CipherSeraph in the past.
  • Aims to improve both the work and the writers making it, so always looks for extra things to do!
Turnaround Time & Content
My turnaround time varies because of real-life circumstances and balancing everything I do. Even still, I try to be as fast as humanly possible! My personal goal when given a full project is to finish it within 14 days; however, editing projects might take only an afternoon or two - whereas writing projects might take longer due to inspiration, word count, and the greater effort it requires.

As far as content is concerned, I only have three limitations: I do not do vore (one character eating another in a sexual context), guro (erotic gore; I don’t mind gore, but sexualizing it is difficult), and scat.

For the most part, I feel that my own tastes shouldn’t have an effect on the kinds of things I can write - hence my general lack of limitations. Aside from general NSFW (sexual, 18+) content, I don’t have any problems with violence, gore, cursing, dark themes, or drug / alcohol use or abuse.

However, I will openly admit I’m not very experienced with Boys’ Love (Otome), Yaoi (boy-on-boy), or more “hardcore” sexual fetishes. I’m eager to learn, though!

TL;DR:
  • Turnaround time may vary, but aims to finish things within 14 days.
  • Only three limitations: vore, scat, and guro.
  • Some inexperience with certain topics.
What does each role entail?

Writing involves:
  • Outlining and discussion (if needed; I prefer having an outline to work from, however)
  • Research on relevant topics (if needed)
  • Script writing (in Ren'Py format).
  • Free editing (to my own work only).
  • Responding to or asking questions as needed.
Editing, meanwhile, entails:
  • Checking the script for plot holes, tone, pacing, and consistency (Ren'Py format is preferred for efficiency but not required).
  • Improving spelling, grammar, punctuation, word choice, and sentence structure.
  • Trimming and rewriting dialogue to make it more natural.
  • Giving feedback (positive and negative critique) on the script, with examples.
  • Responding to or asking questions as needed.
Please note, however, that I don’t usually track changes. If you would like me to, I can use Suggestion Mode. If I'm a Lead Editor [if I have other editors/proofreaders working under me], however, my process is usually to do clean copy, accept/reject other editors' suggestions (via Suggestion Mode), and then to perform another pass on the script before the writers and team leads receive it.

Also, note: Ren’Py is rudimentary; it includes dialogue tags, text features (bolds, italics, underlines), basic labels / choices, and comments - but there may be errors in it.

Pricing
My standard rate is usually 2 cents per word US, rounded to the nearest multiple of $5 and paid through Paypal. For writing, this is per word written (edits to my own work are also free); for editing, meanwhile, that’s per word in the script (minus code).

Due to issues with various clients throughout my career, including one that “ghosted” me (and wasted a significant amount of my time in the process) and one that slandered me, I’ve started asking that my clients give me a small amount up-front.

Please note, however, that both the full amount and the up-front, partial amount are highly negotiable! The last thing I want is to isolate smaller developers when they may need the help!

Additionally, projects that are pro bono (free) or below my standard rate will be handled on a case-by-case basis. Freebies are non-commercial projects (free to the public) under 10k words ONLY - no exceptions; if you stand to make money or if it's a lot of work, I would like to be paid.

Finally, revenue share, royalties, and trades are not a substitute for normal compensation. As bonuses, they work well, though!

TL;DR:
  • Standard rate is 2 cents per word USD, rounded to the nearest $5.
  • Pay is through Paypal only.
  • Prefers partial up-front payment.
  • However, all pay [rates and partial up-front pay] are highly negotiable.
  • Free projects and projects less than the standard rate are acceptable, but will be treated case-by-case (freebies must be less than 10k words, released for free).
  • Revenue share, royalties, and trades are not a substitute for normal pay.
Contact Me

Discord [preferred method for VNs & games]: Cipher#5605
E-Mail: A Note: If it's clear to me that you haven't read this topic, I will not work for you. I don't mind negotiating, but I'm very tired of people misunderstanding my "free work" conditions or not knowing what my rates are; think of it like this: I'm giving you my time, so I'd like to know that I received some of yours.
Last edited by Cipher on Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:20 am, edited 51 times in total.

RamRam
Regular
Projects: Lifted Dreams
Deviantart: sonheelight

Re: Seeking Paid Work Writing, Editing, or Proofreading.

#2 Post by RamRam » Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:29 pm

I really recommend him. He works very fast and he does a great job in editing and also, co-writing! He adds whatever the story needs, resulting in better character development and less choppiness! He also does his best to reply to your requests and questions as fast as possible. :D

~currently doing a VN project, Lifted Dreams, with him, more details will be revealed when enough assets have been created. http://www.tapastic.com/episode/244652
Completed Project!

shortycake
Regular
Completed: Night in the Cottage
Projects: The Mishka Effect, Nocturnal Affair, Lethe, Alice in Neverland
Deviantart: shortpencil
itch: shortycake

#3 Post by shortycake » Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:20 am

Hello! Just dropping by to say if you're looking for fast and reliable writer, Cipher is the one you're looking for.
He/She help me edit my short story very efficiently, I can't thank him enough for the wonderful job s/he done.

Thanks again Cipher! Hope you'll get tons of commission!

Cipher

#4 Post by Cipher » Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:47 pm

I am still looking for work, and having looked at my original post I didn't provide much in the way of information. That post has been edited to reflect this.
Last edited by Cipher on Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HumanToaster
Tumblr: humantoaster
Deviantart: human-toaster

#5 Post by HumanToaster » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:34 am

I can recommend Cipher, who recently has helped me with editing my short game's text.

Cipher helped to make the game's text more 'artistic' and fixed the mistakes. It was a great help, since I'm not a native speaker and because of that there were still many mistakes or strange grammar constructions.

Fast and professional.

Cipher

#6 Post by Cipher » Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:06 pm

The original post has been edited to reflect my current state (transitioning into University this coming September). As a result of this, I have an ample amount of time... And can work for more than 3-5 hours on weekdays.

Resume/Recruit Me! (Writer/Editor) | Cipher#5605 on Discord! | Portfolio

TheRedHare
Regular
Projects: Parricide
Organization: Poena Cullei
Tumblr: theredharestuff

#7 Post by TheRedHare » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:16 am

Pm'ed

Cipher

#8 Post by Cipher » Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:39 pm

Schedule has been updated. In addition, I have midterms the first week of October and the first week of November - so nothing will be done then.

dragondatingsim
Regular
Tumblr: angelswithscalywings

Re: Writing, Editing, and Proofreading! (Small Projects Free

#9 Post by dragondatingsim » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:31 pm

Post deleted.
Last edited by dragondatingsim on Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hazel
Regular
Projects: Wreath of Roses, BookSLEEPer, Girlfriend Material
Tumblr: zincalloygames
itch: zincalloy

#10 Post by Hazel » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:18 am

Can I ask what types of editing work you usually do? Primarily proofing for spelling and grammar, or also line editing for style, or plot/characterization editing?
Image Image

BookSLEEPer (writer) * Girlfriend Material (writer/programmer)

Cipher

#11 Post by Cipher » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:13 pm

The sections have been reorganized into bullet points, and what editing entails has been added to answer Hazel's question.

Turboragnar

#12 Post by Turboragnar » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:18 pm

As the posts above this one; this guy does his thing well. I'm still considered a newbie at writing (Especially VN) and I got the opportunity to have him edit my text that I sent him, he made it not only better (Such as removing repetitive aspects) but also much more consistent as a whole.

Rfpnj
Projects: Therapist

#13 Post by Rfpnj » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:47 am

A pleasure to work with, Cipher worked much faster than I could have expected. I contacted him on a Friday and was looking at a first draft Sunday morning. They were more than willing to work with my ideas and to take the time to make sure things were done right. I would be more than willing to commission them again.

pyopyon
Veteran
Completed: https://chouette.itch.io/
Projects: Ocean Pearls, Catching the Fox [NaNo16], Singles
Organization: Jellyfish Parade
Tumblr: jelpiparade
Soundcloud: pyopyon
itch: chouette

#14 Post by pyopyon » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:33 pm

Writing to express how appreciative I am for Cipher's volunteering to proofread one of the routes for my NaNo VN project, Pairs. Despite having a busy schedule, he completed the work given him in a short time, as NaNo requires, shredding through my typos with bomb precision.

Much appreciated.
Image ImageImage

WiP: Image

✿ Writer for Trade/Commission ✿

piro_shiki
Projects: Brief Katate Foolish, Soul Saber 2, Hebereke!, Beneath the cherry trees, Virus crashers
Organization: Henteko Doujin / Sanuk Soft / Sabai Publishing

#15 Post by piro_shiki » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:26 am

We asked Cipher for proofread of our new game text.
His work was very fast and our text became much better.
It was very helpful for group with no regular native English speaking members like us.

Thank you very much!