Editor/Proofreader/Writer for Hire (fiction + technical/academic)(+programming)

Forum rules
Never bump threads. Per rule 16, updates may be posted once every 2 months. Per rule 18, disclose generative AI use when creating/updating a thread. Violating these rules may led to thread deletion.
computistxyz
Regular
Github: sjgriffiths

Editor/Proofreader/Writer for Hire (fiction + technical/academic)(+programming)

#1 Post by computistxyz »

~~~ Overview ~~~
Hi! My name's Sam and I'm offering my proofreading/editing skills on a freelance basis. I would consider myself a strong, technical writer with an attentive grasp of language and grammar. Due to time constraints, I would generally prefer to work on relatively straightforward standalone projects; however, if in doubt, please do ask! All things will be duly considered. The same applies to writing tasks -- if you do have a proposal for writing, perhaps on the shorter side rather than longer, don't be afraid to enquire.

I've no particular preferences or areas I won't consider -- all genres welcome! I'm British and can work in and between both British English and American English.

In addition, I will gladly offer Ren'Py/Python/C++/Java programming experience (see my other thread).

Samples of writing, taken from (a) the novel I'm currently working on, and (b) my undergraduate thesis project, can be found in the first two comments below.

~~~ Rates ~~~
Proofreading: £0.02 per word
Editing: £0.03 per word
These rates assume a smaller project and are highly flexible; they can be brought down overall in bulk considerably.

Programming: £15-25 an hour (GBP)
Projects are most likely to be quoted on a case-by-case basis due to relative complexity, but that's the general ballpark as far as an hourly rate goes.

Payments by PayPal are preferred; quotes do not include transaction fees.

To contact me, either PM me or email me at sjgriffiths24 (at) hotmail (dot) co.uk

Cheers!
~ Sam ~
Last edited by computistxyz on Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:56 am, edited 10 times in total.
computer scientist | programmer | game developer | writer | editor/proofreader

Check out my technical blog, computist.xyz

computistxyz
Regular

Re: Editor/Proofreader for Hire (+short writing)(+programming)

#2 Post by computistxyz »

sample withdrawn for now
Last edited by computistxyz on Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

computistxyz
Regular

Re: Editor/Proofreader for Hire (+short writing)(+programming)

#3 Post by computistxyz »

Griffiths, S. (2018). Study of AI algorithms for the solution of the Rubik's Cube with minimum number of moves (Bachelor's thesis). University of East Anglia, Norwich, England.
The Rubik’s Cube is a well-known combination puzzle that has been a popular case study in artificial intelligence due to its simplicity to present but difficulty to solve. If one considers the most popular version, a 3×3×3 cube, the goal is explicit and yet there exist over 4.3×10^19 permutations available from a given configuration (Korf, 1997). This problem size readily implies that any automated system for solving the cube optimally must have a great deal of thought devoted to optimisation itself, in order to obtain a solution within a feasible amount of both time and space.

If the number of moves in a solution were not important, then one could relatively easily implement the strategies for solving used by humans; with a predetermined strategy of sub-problems, only a small number of algorithms for specific tasks need to be memorised. However, this is trivial for an AI and thus finding an optimal solution (i.e. minimising the number of moves) is a more interesting and challenging problem. To approach this problem, the cube must first be translated into a problem space model, with which applicable algorithms and approaches can be explored and, in particular, compared and contrasted. These different approaches can be investigated both theoretically and experimentally, with the style of the model developed influencing the choice of language and environment used. It is intended that the most time- and space-effective algorithm be deduced or, more likely, which combinations and augmentations of these different algorithms give rise to the most efficient solutions.

The Rubik’s Cube is modelled as a single-agent pathfinding problem: by enumerating all valid permutations of the cube as the set of possible states, with a number of legal operations which can be used to transition between states, the problem can be expressed as a tree with the root node being the initial (scrambled) state and the goal state explicitly known and indeed constant between problem instances. There exist many different search algorithms on this style of problem which can be investigated, as effectively compiled and reviewed by Korf (2010). A prediction based on this review is that the iterative deepening A* algorithm (IDA*), as first outlined by Korf in 1985 and later analysed by Korf et al. (2001), may prove to be the most effective approach overall. The concept of heuristics will also be extended by investigating the use of pattern databases (Culberson and Schaeffer, 1998). This particular combination, also explored by Korf (1997), gives rise to a proportionality between the space available for a lookup table and execution time, which will also be explored.