Formally Trained Writer, Editor, Proofreader [OPEN]

Forum rules
Never bump threads. Per rule 16, updates may be posted once every 2 months. Per rule 18, disclose generative AI use when creating/updating a thread. Violating these rules may led to thread deletion.
FriendlySenpai
Regular
Projects: Daddy Lies, Novus Inceptum

Formally Trained Writer, Editor, Proofreader [OPEN]

#1 Post by FriendlySenpai »

Hey! I'm Senpai.

I'm an editor and have been one for most of my adult life.

I've edited articles for a number of online publications, both big and small (including Heavy.com, GameSpot, Stream.me, Gamer Assault Weekly, and IGN). What skills I possess are from a few years of working in gaming journalism, a lifetime of reading/writing for my own leisure, working as an assistant to English teachers, and taking formal English composition and creative writing courses.

Additionally, I like to think that I can bring a fair amount of life experiences to the table to act as an advisor for some issues. I'm asexual and transgender. I have an understanding of unconventional relationships. I'm experienced in childcare, including care for kids with ASD, and I'm familiar with how mental illnesses tend to manifest. I'm an active member of my kink community and have intimate knowledge of a variety of fetishes and kinks. I've worked in the esports and gaming industry and am privy to what happens behind the scenes during game production and events.

Basically, if you don't know firsthand what you're writing, I can probably help out and make sure that your story's details are accurate and inoffensive.

Moving on from my experience, I'm pretty flexible in what I am willing to work with. Extremely bloody horror titles, anything 18+, slice of lifes, romcoms, adventure tales, fantasy stories, space operas, and games with other rough topics are acceptable. I also don't care if your project is commercial or not.

Currently working on Maleficent Justice (editor), Project World (editor), Cross (editor), and Novus Inceptum (writer).

Past VNs I've worked on include Therapy Stories (co-writer), Herotome (editor), The Secrets We Keep (writer), and The Yakuza's Butterfly (writer).

________________________________________________________________________________________________
Writing Samples

Most of these are written in a pseudo-visual novel format.

Angst, love confession
Family moments
Slice of life work scenes, character introduction
Adventure
Combat, adventure

These are just fanfictions I wrote on the fly, usually very late at night and usually while I was kind of tipsy. They're mostly unedited but they're meant to be narrative and prose examples.

Anxiety attack, FtM character
Dangerous pregnancy, FtM character, relationship woes

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Proofreading
$0.01/word

Proofreading is, more or less, a second set of eyes looking over your work to ensure that there are no errors lingering. It typically includes:

• Spellchecking
• Grammar and syntax correction
• Ensuring punctuation is correct

Editing
$0.03/word

In short, editing is improving the quality of your work. While you may be too close to your story to pick up on any loss of characterization, or realize that you've lost your story flow, an editor isn't. This includes:

• Improving sentence structure
• Enhanced story flow
• Inconsistencies removed (written numbers versus numerals, story lore discrepancies, etc)
• Comprehensive critique
• Improved language usage

Pretty self-explanatory. Basically, you provide the details and I bring them to life. I will not develop everything from scratch, however, so do not expect me to spin something from nothing more than a loose concept and vague character descriptions.

If you're interested, or have any questions, feel free to send me an email at thefriendlysenpai[at]gmail[dot]com with the subject line "[Editing][Proofreading][Writing] for [Title]". It will help if you give me as much information as possible right off the bat, just to save some time, so feel free to include anything that's relevant.

Emailing is much more effective at getting my attention than leaving a reply or sending a DM.
Last edited by FriendlySenpai on Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:22 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Helyees
Regular
Projects: Panzer Hearts

Re: Experienced LGBT Writer, Editor, Proofreader

#2 Post by Helyees »

Busy at the moment or available? :) Would you be interested in helping me flesh out my "sex in the city meets psychotherapy" themed story? It is already "ready", but could most propably use some polishing and fleshing out by an native English speaker. Can you work on a script file that is in renpy script form?

FriendlySenpai
Regular

#3 Post by FriendlySenpai »

Helyees wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:59 am Busy at the moment or available? :) Would you be interested in helping me flesh out my "sex in the city meets psychotherapy" themed story? It is already "ready", but could most propably use some polishing and fleshing out by an native English speaker. Can you work on a script file that is in renpy script form?
I'm definitely still available :) Can you email me with more information?

PMscenarios
Regular
Completed: Whale's Waldo
Projects: In Blood, Xenopathy
Tumblr: pmscenarios
itch: pmscenarios

#4 Post by PMscenarios »

Welp, I'm crying now. Your depiction of anxiety and self-hatred is really evocative. Really well written.

Do you have any editing samples? It doesn't need to be fiction, articles would suffice - maybe something written in another style of voice than your own?
ImageImageImage

Helyees
Regular
Projects: Panzer Hearts

#5 Post by Helyees »

Dropped you an email! :)

FriendlySenpai
Regular

#6 Post by FriendlySenpai »

PMscenarios wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:24 am Welp, I'm crying now. Your depiction of anxiety and self-hatred is really evocative. Really well written.

Do you have any editing samples? It doesn't need to be fiction, articles would suffice - maybe something written in another style of voice than your own?
UGH I'm SO sorry. I wasn't ignoring you D: I don't have email notifications set up for this account because it's linked to a mule for account creation, and I don't get on LSF too frequently. That's why I put my email in the opening post :c

If you still need an editor, I can send a few links your way of articles I've edited in the past. Most of the fiction I've edited is either currently in progress and under wraps, or is a dead project that I no longer have the files for.

FriendlySenpai
Regular

#7 Post by FriendlySenpai »

I let this fizzle out for a few months because I got a bit overloaded with VN work and real-life work, but my schedule is open enough to where I can start taking one or two new projects :)

FriendlySenpai
Regular

#8 Post by FriendlySenpai »

Open again!

FriendlySenpai
Regular

#9 Post by FriendlySenpai »

Currently open to taking on new projects. I've updated the original post with more titles that I have worked on since my last update.