Writer/Editor/Proofreader for Hire

Forum rules
Never bump threads. Per rule 16, updates may be posted once every 2 months. Per rule 18, disclose generative AI use when creating/updating a thread. Violating these rules may led to thread deletion.
MajorGrimbly

Writer/Editor/Proofreader for Hire

#1 Post by MajorGrimbly »

About Me

Hey, all! I'm MajorGrimbly, newly arrived to the boards and looking to offer my services to those interested. I am a writer by trade, whose skill set extends to editing, proofreading and general critique as well. On the creative side of things, I cut my teeth on the works of authors like Tolkien, Jordan, Pratchett and Gaiman, and learned the art of storytelling in several creative writing classes. On a more technical level, I studied history in university, where I crafted a lot of essays. As such, I learned quite a bit about the intricacies of making something interesting to read, as well as informative. These days, I spend a fair bit of my spare time writing for my own amusement, and I have a couple of stories that I've been tidying up with the hope of one day getting published.

Experience

I've had a lot of experience working with writing in a lot of different ways. I was a staff writer on a videogame blog for several years, where I wrote news pieces, reviews, editorials and conducted interviews. I worked on a few essay-writing workshops while I was an undergrad in university, where we would walk new students (and sometimes more experienced ones as well) over the "dos" and "don'ts" of writing essays, focusing particularly on good flow and solid editing. I was an active member of the RPGRevolution forums (RIP :() for quite some time, and worked with other members on a number of small projects which, sadly, fell prey to the usual pitfalls of efforts like that in a pre-Kickstarter, pre-Patreon world (big dreams, high expectations, difficult-to-coordinate schedules, etc).

Genre Preferences

My general preferences revolve around fantasy/adventure, horror and magical realism, although I've lately found a growing interest in the 'slice of life' genre that is a staple in anime and visual novel culture. These are by no means the only sorts of projects I'm willing to work on, but these are genres that I have a lot of knowledge about, and am therefore better-versed in their structure, patterns, cliches and the like. With the right direction, though, I could write a story about pretty much anything.

Portfolio

If you're interested in seeing my work, feel free to send me a private message. I can send you excerpts from the things I'm working on. If you're interested in seeing how i would handle a particular genre, scene or scenario, you can also feel free to suggest a topic for me to write about, and I can send you a small piece about that instead. I think that this option might be the best way to see just how good of a fit I am for the project you have in mind.

Compensation

Expected or available compensation can be discussed in private, should you choose to contact me. I am very much open to a discussion on this matter, as I know all too well the restrictions that might come with working on smaller projects. I'm almost certain that an agreement can be reached that would be beneficial to all parties involved.

Thanks for your time, and I hope to hear from some of you soon! :)

MajorGrimbly

Re: Writer/Editor/Proofreader for Hire

#2 Post by MajorGrimbly »

Quick update:

Thanks very much for the interest. :)
At this point in time (as of about a week ago, actually), I have been brought on to a project. It looks to be something that's going to take up a fair amount of my free time, so I won't be available for other projects until I've finished this one - or at least have finished the largest bulk of the work. I'll be sure the keep this post updated with my status.