Paid Proofreader

Forum rules
Never bump threads. Per rule 16, updates may be posted once every 2 months. Per rule 18, disclose generative AI use when creating/updating a thread. Violating these rules may led to thread deletion.
Nauzhror
Github: Nauzhror

Paid Proofreader

#1 Post by Nauzhror »

I have never done formal proofreading, but I am a native English speaker and consider myself to have superb spelling and grammar skills. I tend to find myself critiquing and nitpicking everything I read even when just reading for enjoyment as I tend to be a perfectionist and am quite anal-retentive about such things.

While I do not have experience formally proofreading, I do have experience debugging code, which is quite similar in nature due to the required attention to detail. I also ave proofread room/object/mob descriptions on MUDs for years. MUD stands for Multi-User-Dungeon, they are text-based games that are the precursor to the modern day MMORPG.

Due to lack of prior experience I'm pretty much open to any offers in regards to payment amount/methodology. I have seen that most people here have listed rates per word, but since I myself would be skeptical about paying someone per word if they lacked verifiable prior experience I can understand why that may be a concern for others, and am more than happy to proofread for a fixed amount, or amount per error found instead of per word of the games script.

If being paid per error I'd expect some sort of guaranteed minimum payment only to ensure someone doesn't send me a script that already has been proofread by a dozen people; that as a result has virtually no errors left to be found.

ie. Reading a 300,000 word script for example and finding four errors and being paid $0.50 or $1 per error seems like a pretty poor investment of my time.