Leporine: Professional Editor & Proofreader [PAID (FREE FOR GAME JAMS)] [OPEN]

Forum rules
Never bump threads. Per rule 16, updates may be posted once every 2 months. Per rule 18, disclose generative AI use when creating/updating a thread. Violating these rules may led to thread deletion.
Leporine
Completed: Lemonade, A Pinch of Magic
Projects: Gloomsbee Ghost Hunters, Sun & Stars
itch: leporinegames

Leporine: Professional Editor & Proofreader [PAID (FREE FOR GAME JAMS)] [OPEN]

#1 Post by Leporine »

Hi! I’m Leporine, a fellow game dev and professional copy-editor, available to collaborate with other devs to polish VN scripts. I offer editing and proofreading assistance to ensure your script is sleek, free of errors and ready for release.

Due to focusing on my own projects, I am no longer advertising writing services.

Ayoub | Editor (سار الترفيهية)
EDDA Café | Editor (Mushroomallow)
Maledictorian | Scene Writer (Foleso)
Deliver Us from Evil | Editor (Galen Games)
Soul Labyrinth | Editor (Coffee Drip Studios)
Anise Flowers | Editor (Sasha Ines)
Raven’s Rose | Digital Artist & Editor (Twilight INC.)
A Pinch of Magic | Common Route Writer (Crystal Game Works)

Editing

Editing is a process in which I will not only correct a script’s spelling, grammar and punctuation mistakes, but will also tackle flow, tone and sentences with confusing or incorrect structures. Characters and plot will also be analysed to ensure consistency. If I feel suggestions or explanations for larger edits are useful, I will add margin comments and will communicate with you at every step of the process.

My discerning read-through of any game script will catch and remove:

 Typographical errors
 Transposed words
 Hyphenation mistakes
 Sentence fragments
 Comma splices
 Capitalisation mistakes
 Clunky formatting
 Unnecessary expletives
 Voice and tense irregularities
 Character and plot inconsistencies
 …and much more

Proofreading

If you’re confident in the script’s overall structure and are just looking for someone to come in and clean up any remaining small mistakes, a proofread will cover the basics of grammar, spelling and punctuation. I won’t restructure lines or consider the characters, dialogue, plot or style.

When deciding whether your script is at either the editing or proofreading stage, please bear in mind that proofreading is the last step in the editorial process and, as such, is only meant to catch and remove the last few errors in a script. If you're still unsure, you're more than welcome to get in touch with a sample of your script, and I'll gladly advise you on whether it's ready for proofreading, or may require heavier editing.

I’ll happily work on most game genres and topics, including (but not limited to):

 Romance
 Slice of Life
 Fantasy
 Mystery
 Horror
 LGBTQIA+
 Sensitive issues such as mental health, depression and suicide

I won’t work on projects with:

 NSFW content
 Extreme violence/gore
 Racism, sexism, homophobia or similar topics being toxically addressed

GAME JAMS: The prices below are for freeware and commercial projects. I happily edit/proofread game jam scripts for free.

Proofreading: $1 per 100 words

Editing: $1.5 per 100 words

Turnaround time depends on the size and scale of the job, but I'll always do my best to work to your schedule. I edit and proofread around my other professional commitments and my first priorities are quality and accuracy. Anything you give me will come back to you in a timely fashion, preened flawlessly – that’s my promise. Please get in touch and I can advise you.

 A first class BA in English Literature and Creative Writing from the University of Warwick, one of the UK’s top universities
 A qualification in Proofreading & Copy-Editing for web and print
 Half a decade of freelance copy-editing experience working with game developers, authors and amateur writers

If your interest is piqued, you can view my portfolio at helloleporine.com and contact me at leporinegames@gmail.com

After a conversation, if we’re both happy to progress I’ll send you my Discord tag so we can communicate more easily.

Thanks for reading! I look forward to working with you.
Last edited by Leporine on Thu Nov 24, 2022 5:07 pm, edited 22 times in total.

Leporine

Re: Leporine: Editor, Proofreader & Writer (BA in Creative Writing) [PAID/FREE] [OPEN]

#2 Post by Leporine »

I'm now working as a writer on The Sun & Stars, a fairy tale VN themed around cooking and adventure. I'm open to editing, proofreading and writing work. If I don't respond to Lemma Soft PMs within 2 days, please email me or reach out on the Discord server, because I may have forgotten to log in!
Writer for The Sun & Stars, artist and editor for Raven's Rose. Professional freelance editor and proofreader.

foleso
Regular
Completed: Demon Kiss, Rustea Conversation, Love Rewind, Crown & Cauldron
Projects: Franken Tutor
Organization: Foleso
Tumblr: foleso
Deviantart: foleso
Github: foleso
itch: Foleso

Re: Leporine: Editor, Proofreader & Writer (BA in Creative Writing) [PAID/FREE] [OPEN]

#3 Post by foleso »

Leporine wrote the common route for A Pinch Of Magic for Nanoreno 2021. She was provided with a document containing a top-level overview of the game's characters, themes, and ideas. Throughout the process, Leporine was engaged: asking several questions and working to flesh out the story and bring it to life. In addition, she worked with the writers of the individual routes to ensure the common route was consistent with theirs—something I greatly appreciated.

The script she wrote is extremely well done: it's witty and humorous, and every character has a unique voice. Her narration sets the mood perfectly and immerses you in the setting. If you want to check it out, you can play the game (it's free).

Overall, Leporine's skilled, communicative, and is always available to answer any questions. I would highly recommend working with her.

sashaines127
itch: https://sashaines127

Re: Leporine: Professional Writer, Editor & Proofreader [PAID/FREE(INCL. GAME JAMS)] [OPEN]

#4 Post by sashaines127 »

Leporine was a joy to work with! She was the editor for Anise flowers for Otome Jam 2021 (Still in development)
She went out of her way to explain to me why some things were wrong, instead of just correcting them. As a non-native speaker and someone who is new to narrative writing in English, that meant a lot.
I know that I will contact her for future projects, and so should you!

wulfmune
Regular

Re: Leporine: Professional Writer, Editor & Proofreader [PAID/FREE(INCL. GAME JAMS)] [OPEN]

#5 Post by wulfmune »

Leporine was the editor for the https://coffeedripstudios.itch.io/soul-labyrinth demo made for Otome Jam 2021. She was willing to work around my unconventional method of writing while I program and was very efficient and professional. Her communication was excellent and her editorial notes were fantastic. She has a really good eye and her turn around was swift. I learned so much from her in such a short amount of time. I really can't thank and recommend her enough! Thank you Leporine!! <3<3<3

crysil
Completed: DUFE, Snow Angel
Projects: Dual Chroma
Organization: Galen Games
itch: galengames

#6 Post by crysil »

Leporine was one of two copy editors on our otome jam game, Deliver Us From Evil (DUFE). She was extremely hard-working and a pleasure to work with. She was also a real trooper when things got tough deadline-wise and managed to edit chapters on extremely short timeframes (thank you again Leporine!!) On top of being very reliable, her notes were very detailed and show that she commands a deep knowledge of the English language.

All in all, Leporine is highly skilled and reliable and I'd highly recommend her as a copy editor!
Don't settle for a life less than what you are capable of living!
Artist & dev
Itch: https://galengames.itch.io/
Site: https://www.galengames.com/

Leporine

Re: Leporine: Professional Editor & Proofreader [PAID (FREE FOR GAME JAMS)] [OPEN]

#7 Post by Leporine »

Now open again for editing & proofreading projects, prices updated.
Writer for The Sun & Stars, artist and editor for Raven's Rose. Professional freelance editor and proofreader.