[OPEN FOR GAME JAMS] Experienced Writer, Editor, & Sensitivity Reader [FREE/PAID]

Forum rules
Never bump threads. Per rule 16, updates may be posted once every 2 months. Per rule 18, disclose generative AI use when creating/updating a thread. Violating these rules may led to thread deletion.
HGbox
Projects: Bellicose Court
Organization: HGbox Studios

[OPEN FOR GAME JAMS] Experienced Writer, Editor, & Sensitivity Reader [FREE/PAID]

#1 Post by HGbox »

I’m Ray, a professional writer, and editor looking to invest some time in helping other teams develop their VNs. I have a bachelor’s degree in Video Game Development from St. Edward’s University (Austin, TX), where I specialized in creative writing and programming.

CREDITED WORKS

A Forsaken Place, Editor (VN, LegendEx Games, NaNoRenO Entry 2021)
Monstralia: A Healthy Life For Your Little Monster™, Team Lead & Level Designer (Android, HealthStart Foundation)
Corinthians, Writer (Fiction, Sorin Oak Review)

CURRENT PROJECTS

Fallen Hero: Retribution - Malin Rydén, QA Analyst & Editor (IF, Hosted Games)
Herotome, Editor/Co-Writer (VN, Wudgeous)
Milcham: From the Ashes of Hearts, Editor (VN, Ara Game Studio)
Bellicose Court, Lead Writer & Programmer (VN, HGbox Studios)

EDITING & WRITING

I’m offering copyediting services, which includes basic proofreading (spelling, grammar, punctuation, capitalization, and formatting), continuity checking (e.g. is your character’s appearance described consistently throughout the text?), and line edits (a paragraph by paragraph, sentence by sentence assessment of tone and language to assure accuracy and creative fluidness).

Things I’d be looking for in your script with line edits:
  • Words or sentences that are irrelevant, redundant, or overused
  • Run-on sentences
  • Dialogue or sentences that can be tightened
  • Scenes where the action or dialogue is unclear or confusing
  • Tonal shifts and unnatural phrasing
  • Places where the addition of words or phrases would enhance meaning
I prefer to work with Google Docs using the suggest and comment features but am willing to adapt to your needs if preferred. I also recommend having a final proofreader (whether hired or new eyes from someone on your team) once you’re in content lock and the copyediting stage is complete.

GENRES
+ Romance [BXB, GXG, GXB/BXG, NB, Queer]
+ Erotica [BXB, GXG, GXB/BXG, NB, Queer]
+ Fantasy
+ Science Fiction
+ Mystery
+ Horror
+ Contemporary
+ LGBTQIA+
+ Sensitive Topics (Mental Illness, Suicide, Depression, Assault, Etc.)

- Racism, Sexism, Transphobia, Homophobia, etc. [This, of course, does not include projects that address these topics in a respectful manner.]
Ex.
+ “MC has transmisogynistic parents.” [Why? This is a Slice of Life exploration of real-world issues trans women face.]
- “MC is a transfemme serial killer.” [Why not? This is a transmisogynistic trope used in crime thrillers to portray trans women as predatory.]

SENSITIVITY READING

I can do sensitivity readings for works dealing with queer characters, specifically same-gender attraction and transgender identities. I myself am a bisexual, nonbinary trans man. I am also good for aromantic characters. I am generally available to do this for free, depending on the size of the project. [Large, commercial projects negotiable.]

+ Trans & NB Characters
+ BXB, GXG
+ Aromantic/Arospec Characters

COST
Editing (copyediting, line edits, structure edits): $.01 per word
Writing (fiction): $.025-.1 per word (Free for small, noncommercial projects. Let’s talk!)

Generally, I’m willing to negotiate on a project-by-project basis. Indie budgeting is tight (and often relies on crowdsourcing and revshare), so I’m willing to work with you on that.

For non-commercial work and game jams, I am willing to work free as a volunteer on some projects! Hit me up with your game’s pitch.

TRADE?
Bellicose Court is in pre-production, and my studio, HGbox Studios, is looking for partners!
A queer prince, raised to assassinate their own father, must prove their false innocence in court before they can ascend the throne. #LGBTQ #Urban Fantasy #Mystery #Romance
Looking For:
N/A at the moment! Thank you!

CONTACT

Writing Samples

If you’re interested, feel free to send me an email at kraynadeau@gmail.com! From there, I can pass over my Discord tag if we think we’re a good fit for each other.

Thank you for reading!