[Open][Paid/AlmostFree*] Writer, Proofreader/Editor, Tester, EN-GER/GER-EN translator

Forum rules
Never bump threads. Per rule 16, updates may be posted once every 2 months. Per rule 18, disclose generative AI use when creating/updating a thread. Violating these rules may led to thread deletion.
OnionCuttingNinja
Completed: Winter Memories
itch: onioncuttingninja

[Open][Paid/AlmostFree*] Writer, Proofreader/Editor, Tester, EN-GER/GER-EN translator

#1 Post by OnionCuttingNinja »

Hi there, I'm the OnionCuttingNinja, an indie game developer but for now looking to work as a freelance writer/editor/translator/tester for some pocket money (to fund my own VN development), as well as building up a portfolio of references.

Edit 1: I decided to cut my rates in half for now (and even less for translations), getting any work at all is currently more important than my exact income.

Experience:
While I'm a native German, I started reading novels, playing games and watching movies/series in (usually original) English about 2 decades ago.
During both school and university (where I studied English for 2 years), I was always at or near the top of the class in any written tests, particularly in terms of spelling, vocabulary and English->German/German->English translations (I usually aced those with the German equivalent of an 'A').

I've been writing as a hobby (with breaks) for several years, was for some time the main translator of an unofficial English->German translation patch for Ever17 (unfortunately never finished/released) and recently translated the Prologue and Epilogue of Tsukihime from mirrormoon's patch into German for fun and practice (not released, but I can send you the script on request).

I'm also available for testing/QA/feedback-giving, both from a player and game developer perspective. I've been contributing to an open-source game and its engine for 8 years and have 20+ years of experience as a modder of RPG and RTS games, so I know a thing or two about debugging, balance testing and how to make games actually fun.

Genres as writer: No Yaoi/BL, otherwise I can't think of anything in particular I'd outright decline. Just tell me a bit about the type of work (game, VN, light novel?), scenario and writing style you have in mind and I should be able to tell you in advance if I'm up for it.

Samples: I don't have any published works to show off yet, but I'm working on a small 'demo reel' VN that I hope to finish and release on itch.io soon, which I will link here as soon as it's ready. Until then, I can send you excerpts from the script if you'd like to get an impression of my writing quality (I have an NSFW scene available, too).

If you're not sure whether I'm up to the task when it comes to editing/proofreading, feel free to send me a small sample text to work with (less than 500 words, please).

Base rates:
Writing: 0.01 $/word
Comprehensive editing: 0.005 $/word
Basic proofreading/editing: 0.0025 $/word
English > German or German > English translations: 0.005 $/word
Debugging/testing/gameplay feedback/idea bouncing: Depends on the scope. Just contact me with some details, I'm sure we'll find a common ground.
Additional 10% discount for any project resulting in a 2-digit (or higher) $ payment before Christmas!

I'm willing to negotiate a little, but please take into consideration that these rates are already fairly low.

ocn(at)onioncuttingninja.com

Or DM me here for smaller questions/requests.

------------------------

*AlmostFree means that despite my lack of references, I currently cannot afford to work completely for free.
However, if your project is non-commercial and small in scale I'm willing to go below my base rates as long as I don't have any larger projects coming in.