Dedicated Music and Audio Professional [OPEN]

Forum rules
Never bump threads. Per rule 16, updates may be posted once every 2 months. Violating these rules may led to thread deletion.
Diatonicnerds
Completed: Baked:Magic, I'm a Love Interest in My Childhood Friend's Reverse Harem
Projects: Heart Fragment, Pipe Dream
Tumblr: jeffpennymusic.tumblr.com

Dedicated Music and Audio Professional [OPEN]

#1 Post by Diatonicnerds »

- Hey Everyone! -

I'm Jeff, composer, sound designer, and all around video game audio enthusiast. Creating music and sound is truly my passion and I fully dedicate myself to any and all projects I work on. I will work closely with you and your team to make sure the player gets the best auditory experience they can from your story. I have a degree in Music Composition for Film, TV and Games and have worked on projects anywhere from small indie mobile games, to AAA productions, and of course visual novels. I'd love to be a part of your VN!

- Website and Demo Reel -

I, unfortunately, can't embed a playlist here, but you can check one out on my website here! That is just a short sampling, so if there is a style you don't hear represented, or if you just want to hear more of my work, send me a message and I'll happily send you some more.

For sound design, you can visit the demo site listed above. However, VN sound design doesn't look as impressive on video, so the reel is more focused on other kinds of games. Just know, the same dedication to quality will still be there.

You can also poke around my website for any more information!

VNs I've been involved with:
Baked:Magic, The Game of Fourtune, Heart Fragment, Herotome, I'm a Love Interest in My Childhood Friend's Reverse Harem!!!, I'm a Side Character in a BL Story!, In Blood, The Inn Between, Pipe Dream, Wrong Number.

- Process -

If you want to work with me, be ready for lots of questions! I want to make sure I create the best soundtrack or sound design for your game that I can, so I want to know everything about it. No matter how much or how little of a sonic vision you have for your project, we can work through it together to find what fits best. Even if you don't know any music or audio terms, that's okay! Tell me all the thoughts, feelings and adjectives you want the audio to convey and we'll find the perfect sound.

I keep meticulous notes of all the assets needed for the project and love marking up the script with my musical ideas and how I think we can bring out the subtlety of the text (as a matter of fact, I gave a talk on a lot of these topics if you are interested). That way you will always be able to keep track of my progress as well as know how your VN is turning out!

I also regularly provide updates, works in progress and revisions to make sure you get a product you are happy with and will be proud to have in your game.

I have some experience coding in Ren'Py, Unity and Unreal as well as FMOD and Wwise, so help implementing my work is a possibility as well!

- Rates -

I, unfortunately, can't post specific numbers here because my rates are highly variable based on the project and what would be expected of me. However, I'm highly negotiable and open to finding a plan that works for everyone, so please feel free to get in touch and we'll see if we can work something out. Just be aware, I dedicate a lot of time to my work, so unless it is a very special circumstance, I generally can't accept any non-commercial projects at the moment. Payment plans and rev-share welcome!

Some things that might affect rate:
  • Genre. Full orchestral pieces take a lot longer to write than a drum and keyboard groove.
  • Live musicians. If you need me to hire other musicians, they need to be paid.
  • Derivative. A variation on a track I already wrote for the game will be less time-intensive.
  • Interactivity. How much the music needs to adapt to the player's input.
  • Implementation. Are you going to make sure everything works in the engine or will I?
  • Rights. If you want to own the rights to the music, or if I get to own them, and if they are exclusive or not.
  • Time frame. Do I need to stay up all night to finish your project, or can I work on it little by little?
  • Rev-share? Are we sharing the game revenue?
If you aren't sure of any of the above points, talk to me about them and we'll figure it out! Sound effects have similar concerns. You can also check this link for more information on each point!

- Contact -

The easiest way to get in touch with me is probably my email address, jeffpennyaudio@gmail.com, you are free to try on this site as well but I might not see it right away. Find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr, Instagram, or my website. You can also message me on Discord @diatonicnerds#1308.

Thanks for reading and have a great day!
Last edited by Diatonicnerds on Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:43 pm, edited 13 times in total.

Corban
Projects: Writing the story for a VN that questions the line between man and machine and what it means to love someone.

Re: Dedicated Music and Audio Professional [OPEN]

#2 Post by Corban »

You have some really great content here. I just finished watching your music strategy video on your YouTube channel and I absolutely loved it.
I do have one question though: you said that you don't accept non-commercial projects, but if I wanted to hire you as the composer for a visual novel that I want to release as free-to-play, does that mean that you would turn down the paying job due to the lack of revenue on the game itself? What about rev-share on merch?
This is all just hypothetical.
Thank you in advance!

Diatonicnerds
Completed: Baked:Magic, I'm a Love Interest in My Childhood Friend's Reverse Harem

#3 Post by Diatonicnerds »

So glad you loved it!

Sorry for the confusion, I'll reword the post later this week to make the language clearer. But basically unless a project is something I'm REALLY passionate about, I can't devote the time to something that I don't make money from. I hate saying that because I love what I do, I just realistically don't have enough time in the day.

So to more directly answer your question, if I earn something from the project, at an agreed upon rate or possible rev-share, that works.

Corban
Projects: Writing the story for a VN that questions the line between man and machine and what it means to love someone.

#4 Post by Corban »

I understand that. Thanks for responding! If I need to hire a composer in the future I'll definitely keep you in mind!

Notome Games
Projects: Pipe Dream
itch: notome-games

#5 Post by Notome Games »

Jeff is a fantastic sound designer. He asked us several questions to get exactly what we were looking for, and the results were both high quality and unique. Very understanding of our limited budget. Highly professional and quick to deliver. Will absolutely commission him again!

Camy
Regular
Completed: When Our Journey Ends, Forgotten, Not Lost, A More Beautiful World, Beach Volley, and Here With You.
Projects: The Prince's Heart, Delphine's Discovery, A Vampire's Choice, Phantom of the Blooming Rose, Connection Pending, and Our Final Moments.
Organization: Freelancer, Pixel Pineberry Studios
itch: camy
Discord: camyza

#6 Post by Camy »

Jeff has been amazing. He gets what you want by understanding the mood and adds bonuses to make it greater than you imagined. He's eager to take on adjustments too and super easy to talk to. Hugely recommend him!

heartfragment
Regular
Projects: Heart Fragment
Tumblr: heartfragment
itch: heartfragment

#7 Post by heartfragment »

Jeff composed 3 tracks for Heart Fragment and he did an absolutely amazing job. He is super professional and I was stunned at how much depth and variety he added to each track. Very easy to work with and just an all around awesome experience. Definitely hope to work with him again in the future. Very recommended!
Published Project:

Red-Baby
Veteran
Completed: Free!: Arabian Nights, BAKED:MAGIC, I'm a love interest in my CHILDHOOD FRIEND'S reverse harem!!!, I'm a side character in a BL story!, Ell's Kitchen
Projects: Wrong Number
Organization: WitPOP
itch: red-baby

#8 Post by Red-Baby »

I've worked with Jeff once and then I kept coming back!

He's very professional and will do his best to cater to your needs (even when I'm not 100% sure I know what I want), but he's also friendly and shows that he obviously cares about the projects that he works on.
If you're looking for someone that knows what he's doing and you can rely on, he's your guy!

To give you an idea of how reliable he is, he's worked with me on BAKED:MAGIC, I'm a love interest in my childhood friend's reverse harem!!!, I'm a side character!, and he'll also be joining me for Wrong Number.

LadyElegance
Completed: Moonflower
Projects: The Ocean at Night, The Inn Between, Heart Agency, Moonflower
Organization: Cats on a Lilypad Studios
Tumblr: catslilypad
itch: cats on a lilypad

#9 Post by LadyElegance »

I was referred to Jeff by a good friend of mine who has worked with him multiple times in the past.

He was easy to communicate with, intuitive and made sure he found out as much information as he could to deliver the perfect sounds and in the right format and specs.

Which he did! All 9 perfect SFX for a VN demo.

I'm looking forward to working with him again for the rest of the game and highly recommend his audio services.
Cats on a Lilypad Studios
Programming, Audio Engineering, Vocals.

ZetaKen

#10 Post by ZetaKen »

I was looking for an experienced musician for my passion project and I cannot recommend Jeff enough. This was my first time ever commissioning music and he helped me explain his process thoroughly, was very clear, and the back and forth for determining what would fit best for a soundtrack was great. If you're looking for someone to help you with a sound track and you want them to be thorough on what you need, Jeff is your guy.

Diatonicnerds

#11 Post by Diatonicnerds »