Marek Domagała – composer

Forum rules
Never bump threads. Per rule 16, updates may be posted once every 2 months. Violating these rules may led to thread deletion.
PurpleMind
Regular
Projects: Archeo: Shinar, Driftwood The Visual Novel, When the Bells Toll
Soundcloud: marekdomagala

Marek Domagała – composer

#1 Post by PurpleMind » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:54 am

2019.10.26 - updated my rates

Table of contents
  • 1. Introduction
  • 2. About me
  • 3. Chosen portfolio project showcase
  • 4. My skillset
  • 5. About you
  • 6. My rate and requirements
  • 7. Portfolio link
  • 8. Contact
1. Introduction

I am a music composer based in Cracow, Poland and have been writing since the year 2012. With two Steam releases (more info below), countless hours of bettering my craft and burning passion for all the music in the world, I am looking for new commissions. I'm an avid gamer, cinephile, an esports fan and lover of all animals.

2. About me

My journey in the VGM industry started with Driftwood The Visual Novel, which led me to this forum. Here, I’ve been part of numerous games, one of the biggest of which is When The Bells Toll.

3. Chosen portfolio project showcase

Archeo: Shinar (Steam Store page)

Surprisingly pleasant and unobtrusive soundtrack, which is well suited to the atmosphere of the early 20th century. It doesn't distract from the game, but creates the right mood.
The design, text, music, everything that contributes to immersion and roleplay is beautifully done.
The art style and the music are great. – The Ginger Ninja
(...)The music is pretty amazing as well, especially if you're into... what I like to call... 'posh music'.

Kinguin.io – The Evolution of Gaming

The man is incredible and damn good in collaborating. – Dawid Gąsiński, project animator

Four Global Game Jam 2019 titles during the KrakJam 2019 event

4. My skillset

Composing orchestral music

I can bend orchestra to my will as I please, capturing all the moods from intimacy to horror to grandness. While still learning the counterpoint and music notation, I feel fluent in different languages of the historical periods of music. I find no difficulty in writing chamber/solo piano tracks.

Composing electronic music

I spend as much time in an orchestral setting as I do with purely digital areas. I know my way around many techniques of synthesizing (FM, RM, additive, subtractive, sample-based synthesis), and have the know-how to produce electronic stuff.

Composing for visual novels

I have been part of a couple of visual novel projects (Driftwood and When The Bells Toll are the biggest ones), and have written two articles on the music of visual novels (link, link, sorry, English versions are underway!).

Listen for yourself:

Winter Date

Audio post-production

Over the course of seven years I have trained my ears and learned the necessary know-how to make my music sound as close to the industry standards as possible within a home studio. I always mix and master my own tracks.

Understanding the role of music in a video game

During the years, by playing and scoring games, I have amassed experience as to where, how and when the music should be implemented in a project to sufficiently emphasize it’s purport. I know the strengths of silence, the idea of narrative pacing, and have the experience provide you with not only good music, but also one fitting with the narrative.

I am able to provide you with a variety of moods and styles. Whether it's a horror cue, a romance track, a short cut-scene piece or simply slice of life music, I've got it all up my sleeve. If you can say it, I can compose it.

Soundtrack reviews and articles

I am part of gamemusic.pl, the biggest Polish website (and one of the biggest international ones) fully dedicated to the video game soundtrack world. Since early 2018, I have written over 20 reviews (examples: The Evil Within 2, Apex Legends; soon available in English!), articles and conducted two interviews with the composers of They Are Billions (Nicolas Diteriks) and Crossing Souls (Chris Köbke).

Communication

As a person that writes about video game music, I have developed a steady way to communicate about it and find it easy to freely explain with words how and why certain musical features work in a piece. This is an advantage in communication between me and you.

Electric guitar

I am a guitarist capable of recording my own parts. I’ve been playing the guitar on and off for about 7 years now. I also play the classical guitar and know my way around the bass (but I don’t have it).

5. About you

You are my top priority. I pride myself in nurturing the commission you give me and our relationship. I’ll be in touch with you whenever you need and with as short response time as possible.

6. My rate and requirements

I only take paid commissions. I'll happily sign a contract, as this is a reassurance for both you and me. However, I understand that sometimes it simply isn't possible and I'm flexible in this matter!

Short answer: my rates vary depending on the project. Long answer: using Game Audio Industry Survey 2019 as a reference, I calculated my minimal salary per one minute of finished music as $80. The rate may vary depending on the project's budget (many composers base their rates on the percentage of the budget), music's complexity or other circumstances. Ultimately, though, the most important factor is how much time do I have to invest to suit your needs.

7. Portfolio link

Some of my works which I feel represent me the best are to be found here.

8. Contact

Mail address: marek.domagala95@gmail.com
Soundcloud
Facebook
Instagram
Twitter
Also feel free to send me a direct message here or respond to this thread.
Last edited by PurpleMind on Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:20 am, edited 5 times in total.

kisa
Veteran
Completed: Brother Rose, Dogs Alone
Projects: So many projects, I can't name them.
Deviantart: tsubasafan135
itch: kisa

Re: [Open] Marek Domagała – composer

#2 Post by kisa » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:59 pm

I highly recommend this guy. He did an awesome job on a piece of music I asked him for in incredibly short time.
(sadly I can't link because the actual writing of my project never finished) but his music is something I still listen to whenever I ponder going back to work on it.
I'm offering commissions!
viewtopic.php?f=62&t=41656

kittylove94
Regular

Re: Marek Domagała – composer

#3 Post by kittylove94 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:53 am

I recommend him! His music pieces are amazing!

PurpleMind
Regular

#4 Post by PurpleMind » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:16 am

Hello friends! Give it a listen: my take on Ola Strandh's amazing The Division score

The Ward (The Division) (Marek Domagała)

arty
Regular
Completed: White Monday
Projects: HATE is a 4 Letter Word
Organization: KATHARSIS ART
itch: artys-games

#5 Post by arty » Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:54 am

So I was thinking about whether I should post here for a long time, because generally I do not like giving bad reviews. And this is going to be a bad review.

First off, I want to say that I am not giving a bad review about Marek's music or his character. What I saw (heard) of his music is good. He brings knowledge of the craft and inspiration into his pieces. Throughout our interactions on Discord, he was polite and friendly, with mostly timely responses.

The reason why I'm here and writing a bad review is that Marek did not deliver the work he promised to deliver, after making me wait for weeks. In the end, all that our working together produced was a couple of drafts that I could not use in my project and I am effectively as empty-handed as I was before he contacted me.

Specifically, at first he sent me drafts at a pretty regular interval. But then he disappeared for a while. When he came back, he told me he'd need more time. After two weeks, he told me he didn't actually do any work and broke contact. A few weeks later, he came back to apologize and actually asked me to write a review. So that's what I'm doing.

It's important to mention here that I did not lose any money, because he did not charge me anything. I did not have a strict deadline to keep, so I did not get in trouble because of the delay, either. In the end, for me, it was "only" an inconvenience and wasted time. But if you, who came here and are considering hiring Marek, have deadlines or if a lot of money is involved,... I won't straight up tell you "don't hire him", because you might have more luck than I did. I really do hope that with other clients things will work out better for everyone involved in the future. But be aware that what happened has happened and it may happen again in your case.

I understand that life can interfere and it can happen to anyone, even me, that one may be unable to deliver work. But it's important to 1) communicate delays or even a complete cancellation in a timely manner and 2) judge one's ability to commit to a project before you get involved.

I wish Marek the best for the future, but I'll have to look elsewhere for my projects' music.

PurpleMind
Regular

#6 Post by PurpleMind » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:58 am

I will address what Arty said above.

First, it was a very difficult time for me, as the events during that period led to me being hospitalised for a week. I would prefer to keep the reasons private.

Second, Arty is right. It is crucial to judge one's ability before they decide to get involved AND/OR communicate delays in a timely fashion. Of course, in regard to White Monday, I take full responsibility for my inability to do either.

I regret the turn the events between me and Arty has taken. Yet, I choose to also see a bright side of it: I have learned an important lesson. I choose not to forget this lesson.