Full-time composer FOR HIRE

Forum rules
Never bump threads. Per rule 16, updates may be posted once every 2 months. Violating these rules may led to thread deletion.
MarkusLappalainen
Regular
Completed: Several short films and games (including VNs)
Projects: A feature film, a short film and my own music
Organization: Audio Cabin from the North
Soundcloud: Markus Lappalainen

Full-time composer FOR HIRE

#1 Post by MarkusLappalainen »

Greetings!

My name is Markus Lappalainen, I have been composing for games and films since 2013. In recent years I have worked as an assistant to a senior composer on feature films, recorded with orchestras, produced an opera and gotten a degree in film music composition and music production.

Some of my music can be heard here.

If you are looking for music for your VN, you can book some hours from my calendar. I then use them to produce music for your VN. Depending on the complexity of a cue 20-60 seconds of unique music can be produced in one hour with low to moderate amount of repetition. Whatever time you book, the goal is to produce a finished track within the time period. If you later desire expansion of a track, you just book more hours and I write more.

Before I write anything, we will have a meeting of the needs and goals of the VN, to determine the most appropriate stylistic direction and establish what can be expected.

The NON-NEGOTIABLE terms of agreement:
1) I will retain 100% of the financial rights to the music. Meaning any income from the music belongs to me. I will also register the music at a Performance Rights Organisation.
2) I will reserve the right to feature the music in my portfolios and platforms without restraint.

3) You naturally get to use the music freely and exclusively in the game and in any and all marketing efforts of the same.
Have a happy day! 8)
- Markus Lappalainen, composer & music consultant
Scoring Portfolio

Zephy
Regular
Completed: Witches's Tea Party, Dreamfarer, Fairy in a Jar, Shell of Permafrost
Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.c
itch: https://zephysonas.i

Re: Full-time composer FOR HIRE

#2 Post by Zephy »

Hey hey, fellow composer here.Out of curiosity, Do you ever actually see any benefit from registering your indie game music with a PRO? You don't really get much (if any) performance royalties for a game right? I'm registered with ASCAP but I almost never register my stuff with them because I see no returns.

MarkusLappalainen
Regular

#3 Post by MarkusLappalainen »

Zephy wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:06 pm Hey hey, fellow composer here.Out of curiosity, Do you ever actually see any benefit from registering your indie game music with a PRO? You don't really get much (if any) performance royalties for a game right? I'm registered with ASCAP but I almost never register my stuff with them because I see no returns.
Thanks for the question! The reality is that most likely there will never be any returns. Especially since a game isn’t considered a “performance” like a broadcast show or a film screening. Though that might change with game streaming. Also, YouTube/Twich etc should be considered as a broadcasters in my opinion... but, yeah. That said, there will definitely never be anything if the music is not registered. It is also a matter of claiming ownership of intellectual property that I created, a record of a career and professional practice. Its free, its easy and fast so there is no reason not to do it. At least here in Norway (TONO).

I become a member of TONO to have my rights watched over and property managed. So if I don’t register my music, my rights and property cannot be taken care of.

I understand that for an indie developer all this talk of rights, intellectual property, ownership, big organizations and international responsibilities can seem VERY scary. The truth is though that they are an everyday practice, and are nothing to be scared of :)
Have a happy day! 8)
Scoring Portfolio

Zephy
Regular
Completed: Witches's Tea Party, Dreamfarer, Fairy in a Jar, Shell of Permafrost
Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.c
itch: https://zephysonas.i

#4 Post by Zephy »

Thanks for the reply.
I suppose the matter of "its just good practice" is as good a reason as any after all! XD

MarkusLappalainen
Regular

#5 Post by MarkusLappalainen »

Zephy wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:36 pm Thanks for the reply.
I suppose the matter of "its just good practice" is as good a reason as any after all! XD
It is :) I maybe somewhat opinionated/idealistic but if a composer wants to be taken seriously and act like a professional, then they should treat their work (both the act and the product) professionally.
Have a happy day! 8)
Scoring Portfolio