Free Legal advice

Forum rules
Never bump threads. Per rule 16, updates may be posted once every 2 months. Violating these rules may led to thread deletion.
Ermytarya
Regular
Projects: I am working on something, dunno about how to name it yet.

Re: Free Legal advice

#31 Post by Ermytarya »

Hello!

Can i use .wav and .mp3 files in a commercial visual novel? I read that those file extension are sort copyrighted? And .ogg files should be used in commercial visual novels.
Is it true?

So, is there some kind of law or copyright infrignment using .mp3 and .wav sound files in a commercial visual novel?

dennissaton

#32 Post by dennissaton »

Great Thread.
(posted this somewhere else but this might be a better spot for it)
So here is my question. I am working on a game might try to raise some funds for it on Paetron.

what is the rule about using someone elses written work. If A) They tell you they are doing it for free, (aka people on this forum willing to contribute work without payment in exchange for experience and/or credit

b) Does it make a difference if they are doing the entire game/ or just a portion of the story

c) does it matter if they are coming up with the actual ideas, or if you are coming up with the plot line and they are just writing the story.

Thank you for all the help

Johan
Regular
Organization: DMEOW
itch: dmeow
Discord: Johan#7444

#33 Post by Johan »

I'm not OP but I can help! 😊😊
Ermytarya wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:23 pm Hello!

Can i use .wav and .mp3 files in a commercial visual novel? I read that those file extension are sort copyrighted? And .ogg files should be used in commercial visual novels.
Is it true?

So, is there some kind of law or copyright infrignment using .mp3 and .wav sound files in a commercial visual novel?
Nooooooooo
As far as I know, you can use .wav and .mp3 files in a commercial visual novel with no problem AS LONG AS you a) are the creator of the sounds/music OR b) you have the permission to use them on your commercial visual novel.

I think the advice to use .ogg files in visual novels it's for the file size, so it doesn't takes too much space or makes the game laggy. Not bc it's a copyright infrignment. :o
So here is my question. I am working on a game might try to raise some funds for it on Paetron.

what is the rule about using someone elses written work. If A) They tell you they are doing it for free, (aka people on this forum willing to contribute work without payment in exchange for experience and/or credit

b) Does it make a difference if they are doing the entire game/ or just a portion of the story

c) does it matter if they are coming up with the actual ideas, or if you are coming up with the plot line and they are just writing the story.

Thank you for all the help
A) If they ask for credit you give them credit. If they only want experience and not necessarily credit, it's still nice to credit them for their help, in my opinion.

B) If they are making the entire game or a big portion of the story then you DO have to give them credit. But this may change if you both agree on something different.

C) I think I read somewhere that ideas cannot be copyrighted but the expression (such as writing, song, drawings, etc.) of that idea. For example, if you came up with the plot line but They are the ones writing the whole story based on that plotline, this "story" is the one copyrighted. Of course, they could give you credit. That would be nice but it's not that they are obligated to do it. Unless... unless you protect your idea with a contract. Here I found more details about it.
dmeow !
Check my silly blog!

◤ And I saw the stars ★ falling down... ◢
Check the game!! IT'S OUT!!!

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#34 Post by Imperf3kt »

MP3 and LPCM encoded WAV are both Open Format file formats.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_format

You can use them in your visual novel freely without a license. The content may require a license though.

It was common to suggest ogg because it was the closest open file format of comparable quality per filesize to MP3 during the time that MP3 actually did require a license.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter