[PROGRAMMER] [Ren'Py/Unity/Web] Experienced, flexible, and friendly developer available to hire. [unavailable]

Forum rules
Never bump threads. Per rule 16, updates may be posted once every 2 months. Violating these rules may led to thread deletion.
carrot
Regular

[PROGRAMMER] [Ren'Py/Unity/Web] Experienced, flexible, and friendly developer available to hire. [unavailable]

#1 Post by carrot »

I'm an experienced software developer and I've been freelancing in games development for a long while now.

I've had over a decade of work in games (both freelance and full-time), with several years each working in Python, C# (Unity, MonoGame, and general development), and HTML/CSS/JavaScript (general web development/design and also web game development). I also have a working knowledge of AS3, GameMaker, Lua/LÖVE, C++, ink.

I have no real content-related restrictions.
Not available for voice-chat right now, but happy to email or IM on whichever platform suits you.
Not available for fully revenue-share projects at the moment.

Services
  • Free consultations - if you just want advice on aspects of your game (e.g. whether something is possible or realistic, or how much work would be involved in developing a feature), feel free to send me an email or PM and I'll look it over and help you out.
  • Bugfixing, or performance improvements
  • Any Ren'Py or Python scripting work - anything that can feasibly be done in Ren'Py and Python.
  • Unity/C# development - this also includes general C# development if you're working with another engine (e.g. MonoGame, Xenko, etc.), or even from scratch.
  • Tools development - general tools, scripts, or plugins to help your development pipeline.
  • Full games, or just individual features/modifications - no task is too small; if it only takes a couple hours to accomplish, I'll quote accordingly.
Some specific services (this isn't an exhaustive list, feel free to ask about anything that's missing from here):
  • Porting games to other platforms - this includes within Ren'Py (e.g. a desktop Ren'Py game being modified to work on Android) and across engines (e.g. to work on consoles). This just includes the technical aspects of porting and not any of the licensing/legal/financial components.
  • Steamworks integration - this involves getting various client-side Steam features to work (e.g. achievements), and also community/store/admin features (e.g. trading cards, uploading builds/depots, cloud saves, etc.).
Pricing
I tend to price per-project and I'll give you a quote upfront, once we've discussed your requirements. We can talk about the fee and I'm very open to your individual situation and budget, so please ask if you're unsure.

At least for the first time we work together, fees are payable 50% upfront, and the rest is payable once you're happy with the results of the project.

Get in touch!
If you think you might want to work together, or if you're just looking for more information, feel free to get in touch. The more info you can send in your initial message, the better. So if you've got a design doc, artwork, story outlines, even just random notes on how certain mechanics might work - include as much as you're comfortable with and it'll really help me give you the best estimate.

Discord: carrot#3842
e-mail: gamesbycarrot@gmail.com
or you can PM me here.

Thanks for taking the time to read all this, I'm really looking forward to working on some great VNs!
Last edited by carrot on Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:15 pm, edited 10 times in total.

Eirrir
Regular
Projects: Operation: Future Domination
Tumblr: Eirrir
itch: eirrir

Re: [DEVELOPER | PAID] [Ren'Py/Unity | Python/C#/Web] Experienced, flexible, and friendly developer available to hire.

#2 Post by Eirrir »

Overall, Carrot was pleasure to work with. I asked Carrot to fix some bugs in my game, and true to his claims, he was friendly, responded quickly, and fixed the problems promptly. He explained the reasons for the issues (which were very helpful) and provided clear instructions on how to resolve them. I highly recommend Carrot and will definitely request his services again if I need them.
Current VN Project:
Game Development Blog

zurvon

Re: [DEVELOPER | PAID] [Ren'Py/Unity | Python/C#/Web] Experienced, flexible, and friendly developer available to hire.

#3 Post by zurvon »

Carrot was amazing and great both as a person, and as a programmer. He was very professional, friendly and experienced in handling my request. His flexibility when it comes to prices was also one of the main reasons I decided to work with Carrot.

I asked Carrot to develop some RPG elements for my game, combat system, and map which he did in a reasonable amount of time. Carrot also helped discover some of the issues I had with my combat logic, and fixed it according to the changes I made, despite it being different from what we agreed on in the beginning.

He also accepts feedback very well and is willing to make the requested changes. Overall, I'd highly recommend Carrot, and I'll definitely be looking forward to working with him again in the future.

Esh
Regular
Projects: Changeling
Tumblr: steamberrystudio

#4 Post by Esh »

We worked with Carrot to code some specific functions for our visual novel, Changeling - specifically a research journals with encoded entries the player unlocks as they traverse the story. There were also several other things he worked on adding in and fixing for us, including some redesigning of our GUI, and adding in some other game functions.

He's very professional, lays out the entire project ahead of time, and gives an accurate estimate of the time it will take to do the work. He is quick to fix issues and was great at working with me to resolve any bugs that popped up during the course of working together. He's also good about explaining how to use the code he gives you (which is awesome for a coding newbie like me, who doesn't always know what every line of code actually does).

And he's checked in several times to make sure everything is working as we continue to pull the rest of the game together around the code we received from him.

Very friendly, quick to respond to questions, and to communicate in general.

Would definitely recommend working with him and I definitely hope to work with him on future projects!

LeafCascade
Regular

#5 Post by LeafCascade »

I asked Carrot for help with a feature I had been struggling to implement (one that Ren'py doesn't support natively). He calmly figured it out in no time, and I'm really happy with the results. I know who I'll be contacting the next time I need help with stuff outside of my area of expertise.

Thank you again.

Helyees
Regular
Projects: Panzer Hearts

#6 Post by Helyees »

What can I add to the praises on this thread? Carrot is just outstanding! :D He worked in a consultative role on the Steam release of Panzer Hearts.

:idea: +The communication (which is 100% vital) was easy, he was always there when I needed him.
:idea: +Effective, problem solving skills
:idea: +the attitude, I felt all the time that I can trust this guy

I highly recommend Carrot when you seriously want to get things done. A true professional!

carrot
Regular

#7 Post by carrot »

I'm available now mostly for shorter term projects (<1 month), but do still get in touch if your project is longer than that and we can figure something out.

carrot
Regular

Re: [PROGRAMMER] [Ren'Py/Unity/Web] Experienced, flexible, and friendly developer available to hire.

#8 Post by carrot »

I'm available for longer term work now (as well as shorter projects)!
Last edited by carrot on Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Helyees
Regular
Projects: Panzer Hearts

Re: [PROGRAMMER] [Ren'Py/Unity/Web] Experienced, flexible, and friendly developer available to hire.

#9 Post by Helyees »

We have been constantly updating our VN Panzer Hearts on Steam https://store.steampowered.com/app/8096 ... ual_Novel/ and Mr. Carrot has helped us tremendously!
Most recent he re-edited our mini-game system where the player can build WW2 tanks. Carrot works fast, is easy to communicate with and delivers code that is easy to understand. He is also helpful (he knows a lot about Steam integration and such and is really willing to help).

If you want to deliver a working product Mr. Carrot is your choice! :D

kirabook
Tumblr: kirabook
Deviantart: kirabook

#10 Post by kirabook »

First post here after lurking for years, but thank you carrot! ^_^ I have an unconventional project when it comes to VNs, but carrot was able to knock out some features that were slowing me down and evaluated what I currently for some future changes. The code is clean, organized, efficient, and was finished within a week. As a fellow developer (who is a bit dumber than carrot, ahaha), I definitely recommend. They'll set you straight.

My project is using Javascript (PixiJS, Howler.js, etc)

Feinerine
Regular
Projects: Caladria Chronicles, Caladria Adventurers: Girls Side, Caladria Robotics
Organization: Starlight Visual
Deviantart: feinerine
Discord: Feinerine#2340

#11 Post by Feinerine »

Carrot helped me implement a music room and encyclopedia into Caladria Chronicles, at a price that was good for what work needed to be done. He's easy to work with, and helped out when glitches occurred. Thank you!

milo39
Projects: Princess Pirate: The Sword & The Sea
Organization: Fantasy Studios

#12 Post by milo39 »

Sent you an email ^^
Code Name: Pirate Princess [Otome] [Fantasy]
viewtopic.php?f=43&t=51063

godman85
Regular
Organization: Black Sands Entertainment

#13 Post by godman85 »

sent DM. Looking for a project manager with a great grasp on what needs to be done in an RPG