Kimi ni Todoke.... impressions, opinions etc.

For the rest of your otaku life.
OtomeWeekend
Eileen-Class Veteran

Kimi ni Todoke.... impressions, opinions etc.

#1 Post by OtomeWeekend »

I'm super addicted in Kimi ni todoke. At first i don't really gave a damn in the manga and anime but after playing the game(which for me being an emo, make me cry), i really fell in love with the game. And now, I'm reading the manga and watched the 2 seasons of the anime.

Well, one reason why i love it was because of Daisuke-sama-shot- though i won't deny that even as a girl, i find sawako really cute and how i really love her character. The story was very cute and i dunno but really awesome its cliche but not cliche anyway you'd think its just a typical love story of a sadako-chara girl and a cheerful guy but that's not all it is. It also teaches a lot of good values on how to be more confident on yourself and never be afraid to show your feelings. Anyway its very awesome!

So, if there were other people that have watched/read/played kimi ni todoke, what were your opinions about it?
"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong." ---Mahatma Gandhi

I no longer use this account. Please refer to my new account, enta if you want to contact me. Thank you.

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

Re: Kimi ni Todoke.... impressions, opinions etc.

#2 Post by MaiMai »

My opinion on the series: it was interesting enough to keep me hooked a few chapters (I've been reading the manga, haven't touched the anime).

I can understand why it's popular. The heroine Sawako is intriguing and adorable in her own right and the supporting characters are very interesting. The series focuses on the subtleties and depth of relationships more than most other shoujo titles where it's just "Kyaaa the cutest guy in school likes me how am I gonna confess?!" Definitely down to earth in a nice way.

In the end, it really couldn't keep my attention even with its nice execution of slice-of-life. There's something so... Dull about it after you see the initial shine and positive points in the series. I think one of the downsides for me is the leading man. He's just... Kinda meh to me. That and the reason why Sawako was isolated in the first place was sort of stupid even if it is the starting point of the story. "Haha, she looks like the girl from the Ringu tee hee" is just sort of shrug-worthy to me. And then you have the sort of eye-roll worthy rival.

Overall, Kimi ni Todoke IS a better shoujo title than most I've read, but it's not the most interesting in terms of storytelling and events. I might pick it up again, but probably not.
Last edited by MaiMai on Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

EternalDream
Veteran
Completed: Secret Santa
Projects: Memory Lane

#3 Post by EternalDream »

I agree with MaiMai. I started reading, and it got me very interested, but a few chapters after, I just completely dropped it... since I don't know. Like MaiMai said, it started to get dull D: Now I'm just waiting for the ending to come out... while skipping the whole middle part XD Since I doubt there's much character development in a volume or so ish anyways ^^;; It's really just a super slow manga in terms of that, in my opinion. Which is good, but it's just... not interesting after a while.

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

#4 Post by MaiMai »

Another positive point I would like to point out about Sawako: as a shoujo protagonist she thankfully isn't a whiny attention ho who thinks the boy should always pay attention to her and doesn't get super jealous like Kurumi(?) and has superficial and petty behaviors (that's why I rolled my eyes at the rival, she was pretty stereotypical even if she had more depth for the rival figure). I LIKE that. She still has very real insecurities as a girl who's normally an outcast, but insecurities that a lot of people share when trying to develop good friendships with others.

In retrospect, I think this series would have been better if it was shorter instead of being a long running one. That or maybe have a more interesting main love interest. I still believe it's very good as a slice of life story, but perhaps I'm so used to absurdity in shoujo titles (GOOD absurdity mind you, i.e. Fruits Basket) that Kimi ni Todoke is... Kind of jarring!
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

SilverxBlue
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Caught in Between: A childhood prologue
Projects: MDLS, Alice Hunt(Temporarily on-hold), The Guardian's Spell and one other unannounced thing.

#5 Post by SilverxBlue »

Totally agree with the others, I've read the manga and watched the anime and it tends to be quite boring after a while. Kurumi annoys the hell out of me though. She is so different from Sawako.
Image Image
"A fool who doesn't think is more foolish than a fool who foolishly thinks." - Franziska Von Karma
Weeeeeee~
不愉快です !!!

lepapillonrouge
Miko-Class Veteran

#6 Post by lepapillonrouge »

...orz

I still like it, simply because it is a calming shoujo manga. Something I could read slowly instead of quickly? I guess.
I like the guys in it. But I too have taken a break from it (because I actually buy the manga. XD)
deviantART
---------------------

SmileyFace
Regular
Projects: The Chronicle: Elements of Time, Talents, Learning to Love (artist)

#7 Post by SmileyFace »

I agree with all you guys as well. I like how Sawako is down to earth and isn't your usualy ditzy protagist.
I also disliked Kurumi at first but she sorta got better I guess.

Also love the PE teacher. XD
His just so... stupid(?).

The manga is the type where you have to take breaks in between or you will just get sick of it.

OtomeWeekend
Eileen-Class Veteran

#8 Post by OtomeWeekend »

^ i do agree that its tiring at times...(and i love badboys too, kazehaya should thank daisuke namikawa for me liking him).

And like i said earlier, my first imprerssion of it is just not another stupid manga(sadly, even though how much i hate a series, i don't drop them), that when i'm just so pissed on how *probably* the heroine can be stupid, i won't drop it and kill myself to madness. I just saw it then ignore it. But i dunno what magic did the game had that i was really addicted to it, i love all the characters(except, yeah, that kurumi old bag).
"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong." ---Mahatma Gandhi

I no longer use this account. Please refer to my new account, enta if you want to contact me. Thank you.

Mirage
Veteran

#9 Post by Mirage »

I followed the manga until the latest chapter. To be honest, after chapter 40 or something, the series goes downhill very quickly. The last 15 chapters had been nothing but beating around the bush with Sawako and Kazehaya doing nothing but being shy and blushing around each other. This series is receiving the "too popular for its own good" syndrome (with it being the top shoujo manga in Japan at the moment). It had overstayed its welcome.