recommended manga(formerly currently reading manga)

For the rest of your otaku life.
Omnificent
Veteran
Projects: FA:NG, ???

Re: recommended manga(formerly currently reading manga)

#91 Post by Omnificent »

I'm into a lot of different manga, including some historical stuff (Vinland Saga and Historie), but here's a few obscure titles you guys might enjoy:

Shingetsutan Tsukihime (Supernatural/Seinen)- A lot of people pretend the Tsukihime anime never existed. The manga is nothing like the anime and is an awesome way to get a concentrated dose of Tsukihime's first two routes without the Nasu-writing.

Nowhere Boy (Seinen? Manhwa)- The amazing story of a whole bunch of cliches appointed by God to stop a faceless protagonist from ending the world in 100 days.

Uzumaki (Horror/Seinen)- Utterly unrelated to Naruto, this is my favorite Junji Ito work. It is about a town that is literally spiraling into madness.

I Am A Hero (Horror/Seinen)- Hideo Suzuki is a dead-end job mangaka with a gun license, a girlfriend who grows more distant from him by the day, and a ton of hallucinations. Or are they?

Petshop of Horrors (Horror/Josei?)- In Chinatown, there is a mysterious man who will give you the pet of your dreams... provided you follow some ground rules.

Akagami No Shirayukihime (Fantasy/Shoujo)- Wordy title, but it's like a loose retelling of Snow White in a relatively well-thought-out fantasy setting. Heroine is smart, art is cute, characters are likeable and relate-able.

Oresama Teacher (Shoujo)- Imagine if Great Teacher Onizuka and Beelzebub had a child.

Power!!/Girl Got Game (Shoujo)- It's like Hana Kimi but better.

Shitsurakuen (Shoujo-Ai)- Vaguely like Utena, but the first 20-odd chapters will make you rage. Once you read past that you might find an intriguing, mind-screw story where everything you thought you knew about the world starts getting turned on its head.
Last edited by Omnificent on Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Forever Alone: Nerds the Gathering - A brotome game. (Nerdy Valentine's Day Card and small status update 2/14/14)
Night at the Hospital - Maiden voyage of Team Snugglebunny
Skylessia: Tale of the Boon - Epic fantasy whatsit, currently on hiatus.
Viking Pipsqueak Productions Blog (under construction)

I occasionally frequently draw other people's characters. Now offering delinquentization, medievalization, and cyborgification. Hit me up in PM if you want sprites for your KN or non-ren'ai VN.

EVEN IF THE TENDONS OF MY THUMBS TEAR INTO NOTHINGNESS, EVEN IF I GO NEARSIGHTED FROM STARING TOO HARD AT THE SCREEN, EVEN IF MY BODY IS CLOSE TO COLLAPSE FROM THE 72 HOURS I HAVE GONE WITHOUT FOOD! I WILL DEFEAT YOU!

kingjing
Projects: Eve of eternitY (RPG maker)

#92 Post by kingjing »

Billy Bat, Pluto, Monster, etc.- Naoki Urasawa. Just... Read. Read these now. He's a modern god of manga vastly under-appreciated stateside.

fuusaify

#93 Post by fuusaify »

Some of the manga I've liked are:
D.Gray-man
The Devil Does Exist
After School Nightmare
Please Save My Earth
Oyayubihime Infinity
Descendants of Darkness
Gokusen
Skip Beat
V.B. Rose
King of Thorn
Alchino

Katon
Regular
Completed: Death Rule:lost code (Art), Death Rule: Fear Complex (Art), Amity: One Tale (Art)
Projects: Death Rule: Killing System(Art) , Gene Codex: Genesis
Organization: MESI Games, Corpse Theater
Tumblr: corpsetheater

#94 Post by Katon »

Hmm I think I would recommend Muhyo to Rouji ( Full name: Muhyo to Rouji no Mahouritsu Soudan Jimusho ).
It's like Katekyou Hitman Reborn x D.Gray man with a dash of March Story.
( I recommend those as well )

Snow Blossom
Veteran

#95 Post by Snow Blossom »

Some new manga/comics that I've come across:
Oboreru Knife (shoujo, romance): Beautiful art and a dizzying aura - sometimes when reading it, I get the feeling of lying beneath a lake and looking up at the sun through the rippling water (I'm not kidding!).

Cheese in the Trap (shoujo/josei, romance): Attractive art with a riveting, rather realistic plot and an independent but sensitive female protagonist. All characters actually show real character development, which I've only seen in a few other manga/manhwa. (sadly, it's no longer being translated ;_;)

Todd Allison and the Petunia Violet (romance): Although this isn't really a professional manga, I think it's good enough to be included. Basically all of the characters are likable and many are also comical. A light, fun comic that hints at deeper, darker backstories.

Zankoku no Kami ga Shihai Suru (shounen-ai, mature): The best BL I've ever read. Actually, it's not even really BL in the standard sense of the acronym, since all the homosexual relationships are either forced or result from unusual emotional trauma. This manga delves deeper into human psychology than any other manga I've read. Seriously, read this. You will not regret it.

There was another BL (once again, not in the standard sense) thriller by Osamu Tezuka, but I forgot its name....

Candyfire
Completed: none yet :)
Projects: Adeline's Shadow (otome game)

#96 Post by Candyfire »

Hana to Akuma
Its a bit sad but its an amazing story. The art is good too but I really like the characters
"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." - Plato
"My fear is my only courage" - Bob Marley
If you really love someone, set them free.
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

uselessp
Regular
Completed: The way I live
Projects: Requiem of time, change and chase

#97 Post by uselessp »

Recommendation? I'm not sure how but I'll try.

Let's see, I prefer people read:

1. Acchi kocchi: There's tsundere, hilarious comedy, and moe.
2. Ascribe to heaven: I don't even know why, but I just like the art and the story.
3. The World God Only Knows: THIS! Is all galge compressed into one manga!! You'll find lots of references materials inside for Visual novel!
Reality is the limits dream can reach

Panda_nui
Regular
Projects: re:_night

#98 Post by Panda_nui »

Must read Kuroko no Basuke!! it's absolutely amazing!! [shounen, sports, comedy]
Pandora Hearts [fantasy, action, adventure, shounen]
Heart no kuni no Alice / Alice in the Country of Hearts [shoujo,
Ao no Exorcist [shounen, action, supernatural]
Oresama Teacher --> it's just hilarious, i die everytime I read a chapter haha [shoujo, comedy, romance]
Seiyuu-Ka --->I just really like this author [shoujo, comedy, romance]
Noblesse ---> it's a webcomic [comedy, action, supernatural, shounen, adventure]
KHR [supernatural, comedy, shounen, fantasy, action]
Beelzebub [action, comedy, supernatural, fantasy]

Destiny
Veteran
Projects: Cards of Destiny, Sky Eye

#99 Post by Destiny »

Right now?

"Highschool of the Dead" -- Daisuke Satō and Shōji Satō (Action, Postapocalypical, Ecchi, Drama)
(SUCH AN AWESOME MANGA!!)

"Koi suru Bo-kun" -- Hinako Takanaga (Drama, BoysLove, Romance, Comedy)
(I just love over-aggressive characters xD)

"Uzumaki" and "Voices in the Dark" -- Junji Ito (Horror, Drama, Mystery/Fantasy)
(You will NEVER read something so frighting again, I swear...)
Cards of Destiny (WIP) / Sky Eye (WIP)

TrickWithAKnife
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Rika
Organization: Solo (for now)
IRC Nick: Trick

#100 Post by TrickWithAKnife »

Just curious, are you guys reading manga in English or Japanese? I wonder if the level of enjoyment changes based on the translations.

I don't usually read manga, but I picked up a recent edition of Naruto last week. I picked Naruto because I know the story, so it makes trying to read it much easier. But to be honest, I think I only understand around 30%
"We must teach them through the tools with which they are comfortable."
The #renpy IRC channel is a great place to chat with other devs. Due to the nature of IRC and timezone differences, people probably won't reply right away.

If you'd like to view or use any code from my VN PM me. All code is freely available without restriction, but also without warranty or (much) support.

Destiny
Veteran
Projects: Cards of Destiny, Sky Eye

#101 Post by Destiny »

English, since I can only read japanese on kindergarden niveau o,o
But those translations are ofte made by people in the internet, so who knows how accurate those are xD
Funny is, that even though german is my mothertongue I stopped reading mangas in german with the age of 14. the translations (official as well as the internet ones) are SO BAD. I literally rolled around on the floor laughing about the sound effects ""Baking" for a Woosh-sound) or how they tried to translate language related jokes (I mean, they translated "It's raining cats and dogs" literally and I was just like ".........Why is it raining cats?").

The english ones just find a simliar saying and add a * to explain at the edge what was originally meant/said.
Cards of Destiny (WIP) / Sky Eye (WIP)

9:19
Veteran
Projects: Green Eyed Monster [complete]

#102 Post by 9:19 »

English and Chinese. I really like the webcomic site u17, where there's this kooky feature that lets the readers who are viewing the manhua at the same time as you tack their comments onto the pages like Post-its, and instead of 'Submit' the enter key reads 'Vomit' to match all the verbal barf. XD

Reading is the best pastime I know, but this widget makes it better in ways I can't explain.

baka_baka210

#103 Post by baka_baka210 »

Shingeki no Kyoujin. A must-read, it's monthly though but this manga just simply amaze you every chapter.

Just curious, are you guys reading manga in English or Japanese? I wonder if the level of enjoyment changes based on the translations.

I don't usually read manga, but I picked up a recent edition of Naruto last week. I picked Naruto because I know the story, so it makes trying to read it much easier. But to be honest, I think I only understand around 30%
I'm still learning Japanese so reading manga in its own language is the perfect practice I need. I'm doing worse than you as it took me nearly an hour to finish 3 pages and even so, I am not confident in understanding those pages.

OtomeWeekend
Eileen-Class Veteran

#104 Post by OtomeWeekend »

I thought I'd pinch in being the op and all :lol:

I read in Japanese though there are mangas that are impossible to find even in any bookstores or 2nd hand bookstores... and I'll read them in online then. I read yaoi stuff online because I just don't have the courage to enter Miyawaki and buy that junjou romantica manga. I almost got caught by a classmate of mine buying the novel and I thought it's the end of the world :lol:

I'm not into ecchi and bishoujo mangas but I am loving Idol pretender. It was about a boy who want to be manly so that his crush will like her but he becomes a girl thanks to his friend. Then she auditions to become an idol so that she can produce money and it turns out her crush is her rival and she falls in love in the female him. But then he is also having this weird feelings when he is with his friend(who is a male by the way). And well, I know my synopsis is confusing but it was hilarious xD

Then there is the ore to atashi no kareshi sama which I watch out monthly in asuka... well, I'm too busy studying for the exams that I limit myself from reading too many Dx
"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong." ---Mahatma Gandhi

I no longer use this account. Please refer to my new account, enta if you want to contact me. Thank you.

Hanabira
Projects: A Tale of Two Siblings: Miyuki & Hikaru

#105 Post by Hanabira »

Hmmm.. Most of the stuff I read are shoujo so idk if these's will suit your tastes.
But I really recommend these:

-Saboten no Himitsu (aka Cactus's Secret)
-Koko ni Iru yo! (aka I am here!)
-Power!! (aka Girl Got Game)
-Shiawase Kissa Sanchoume
-Shinrei Tantei Yakumo (there are 2 versions, both have the same author but different artists)
-Mixed Vegetables
-Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles
-Beast Master
-Hiyokoi (this one is super cuuuute~, it also has an OVA)
-Bokura no Himitsu o Kyouyuu Shiyou ka (also has a sequel called "Bokura no Himitsu wo Kaihou shiyou ka")
-High School Debut
-Tomodachi
-Arisa (it's interesting at first, but at some point it kinda gets crappy lol xD)

I'm sorry if I mentioned something that was previously mentioned :oops: