My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

For the rest of your otaku life.
HigurashiKira
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

#16 Post by HigurashiKira »

I like this show, though I feel sorta dirty watching it considering who the show is aimed at. Oh well, I'll just use my cousin as an excuse.

BTW, anyone here read "Cupcakes"?
I have moved to a new account. Please contact me here from now on. T/Y~

RemnantDream
Veteran
Projects: Pickles and Strawberries

#17 Post by RemnantDream »

And here I was thinking I was the only person my age who enjoys this show xP
I used to play with MLP when I was little so when I first heard about this show and saw how they were drawn, I hated it. But once I started watching it, I started to like this version better.
Fluttershy is adorableee :D She and Pinkie Pie are the best
Last edited by RemnantDream on Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#18 Post by Taleweaver »

HigurashiKira wrote:BTW, anyone here read "Cupcakes"?
Unfortunately, yes. I'm a story-op in a German fanfiction community, and a few weeks ago, I stumbled upon a very bad fan-translation of that monstrosity. I instantly deleted the story and gave our perpetrator a nice three-day ban (plus an entry into her user file) and then I went to look for the English original, believing the German version to be a typical case of "troll translation".

I was wrong. Oh God, was I wrong.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

OtomeWeekend
Eileen-Class Veteran

#19 Post by OtomeWeekend »

I watched this... believe me I don't watch rainbow colored shows but I really like this one XDD
"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong." ---Mahatma Gandhi

I no longer use this account. Please refer to my new account, enta if you want to contact me. Thank you.

RemnantDream
Veteran
Projects: Pickles and Strawberries

#20 Post by RemnantDream »

I love the random things you find on youtube xD This is amazing :D It's like two of my favorite shows/anime got together and had a baby ~-~

Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Controlled Chaos / Sum of the Parts / "that" Midna game with ZONEsama
Projects: Sparse Series/Oddments Shop original cartoon in Pevrea; Cybernetic Duels (fighting game); Good Vibin'
Organization: Watercolorheart Studios
IRC Nick: BCS
Tumblr: adminwatercolor
Deviantart: itsmywatercolorheart
Github: Watercolordevdev
Soundcloud: Watercollider
itch: watercolorheart

#21 Post by Watercolorheart »

Wow, the effects on that Death Note OP one are amazing.
I'm not even the same person anymore

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

#22 Post by lordcloudx »

I somehow tricked my uber picky niece into giving this show another try. We watched the first six episodes together. I'm quite impressed by the "Friendship is Magic" episodes. I like how it made use of the "by your powers combined" trope in a less cheesier way than usual. Oh, and Pinkie Pie is crazy :D
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards

#23 Post by Aleema »

Okay, I finally buckled and watched the first 2 episodes. It's a great show for children, but sadly, that's all I see it as (a show for children). Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash are the best parts, but not enough to make me addicted. I'm interested in the world, but the "does that girl ever do anything but study" cliches + reward tiaras at the end of the first plot don't really clench anything for me but recommend it to little girls I know. Still, there are some kids shows that are just Awful with a capital A, and this is not one of them. If I had a kid that really liked this show, I wouldn't kill myself. So that's a big compliment. =P I'm not sure what guys see when they watch this show (harem for Spike?) so I don't quite understand why there are so many Bronies, other than it's a funny fad to be a part of.

Even though I'm a wet blanket here, it is a clever show and I think if any show gives you something, that's awesome.

Suikama
Regular
Completed: Down on the Corner
Projects: Stories of an Eastern Paradise

#24 Post by Suikama »

The good stuff isn't even in the first two episodes though. Those are just to introduce the characters.

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards

#25 Post by Aleema »

Huh, well, I really don't feel compelled to watch it anymore. Is it funny? Like a comedy? Pinkie/Dash are funny, but they don't carry the show in any way. Right now I just see predictable plot lines like most children's shows. If you can recommend an episode, I can give it another go.

A quick look at Know Your Meme (the fact that it even has a KYM page tells me leagues) shows that the fan culture for it started as a joke, and knowing 4chan, it still is just a joke.

But again, the show itself has good writers and an interesting world to work with. It's just ... not ... meeting all this hype for me.

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer

#26 Post by Taleweaver »

Aleema wrote:Is it funny? Like a comedy?
Most of the time, MLP is a slice-of-life comedy that strongly depends on its six main characters to carry the show. And while their personalities don't seem that special during the pilot, the further episodes play with them wonderfully.

If you want two recommendations, try "Dragonshy" and "Bridle Gossip".
More about me in my blog

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#27 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

At the end of the day, it is a show for kids though, and shows all the typical story lines (tolerance, acceptance, trust, courage) that are meant to teach morals and ideals. The fact it is entertaining to us older people through the writing and visual characterisation is simply a side effect. I find it entertaining enough to watch and it is very well written and produced, but I think it lacks some of the originality that Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends had. I still laugh at it though. I liked Flutter Shy in Bridle gossip, that was pretty hilarious.

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac

#28 Post by Taleweaver »

It sure is a show for kids, though it has quite a few elements specifically aimed at adults. The "sentai screen" in Dragonshy and the Sondheim musical I mentioned earlier come to mind. I think it's this combination that makes it so addictive.
More about me in my blog

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#29 Post by gekiganwing »

After three episodes, I think I can now officially call myself a brony / colt. "Welcome to the herd" and all that.

So far, Fluttershy is very moe. It would be horrifying to see an image of this character on a dakimakura... but I can imagine some fan might make one.

Also, I'm having occasional thoughts about what it would be like to create a friendship-centered fan game for MLP:FIM. It would involve little to no shipping, and it would just be about the ponies becoming friends as the gala draws close. Might even work as a stat-based game... Ponypony Memorial, perhaps?
"Welcome to WhiteSnow, a town filled with snow. Enjoy the world of snow."
-Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#30 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

I thought this was adorable. http://waiwaiwai.deviantart.com/art/Moe ... -201623307

No matter what it is, someone either humanises it or anthroises it.