The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

For the rest of your otaku life.
TMBpower
Regular

#31 Post by TMBpower »

I've watched all 9 of the episodes put out so far...just for the heck of it.:P I really can't see what's so great about "Haruhi," besides the messed-up chronological order which is pretty fun to put together. There's some giggles here and there, but from all the raving I was expecting more laughter. Which is why I'm still watching the show...

...I dunno, am I missing something?:P
Volunteer CG artist, if your story interests me (which is very likely!).
PM me if you want me on your team!
Current Project: None

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#32 Post by mikey »

I really enjoyed the 9th ep - the one in which nothing happened. :P I hope it didn't have any deeper meaning though :? . Looking forward to the next one.

DrakeNavarone
Veteran
Completed: see sig below
Projects: always; never not
Organization: Team BG

#33 Post by DrakeNavarone »

Well episode 9 is episode 14 (of 14) chronologically, therefore it's sort of the season finale, or so I've read. And even though nothing happened, it was a really good episode. Probably my favorite episode so far (excluding the Movie episode... I still haven't gotten over how awesome that one was)
http://www.twitter.com/drakeynv
The Compendium of Drake:
Starlit Sky ~ Songs of Araiah ~ Mirai Imouto ~ Temple Glen ~ Fuyu no Tabi

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#34 Post by monele »

It's amusing how I have the absolutely opposite reaction to such episodes ^^;... I stopped halfway through the 9th because, well, nothing happened ô_o... And the only reason I managed to get through ep.1 in the first place was because I was told the rest of the series was fun ^^;... Ah well, sayonara Haruhi!

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#35 Post by PyTom »

BTW, for those of you worried about Haruhi getting slow, ep 10 should be the answer to your fears. It features:
- Kickass Yuki!
- Legal Mikuru!
- Oblivious Haruhi!
- Barely Present Itsuki!
On the downside, Kyon deserves to be tried for crimes against humanity, for:
telling Yuki she looked better without glasses.
The thing about Haruhi, the series, is that it tells a very simple story in a very complicated (and awesome, and technically excellent) way. Ep 9 was perhaps about the simple story, while ep 10 is about the complications. Something for everyone, perhaps.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#36 Post by mikey »

PyTom wrote:
- Legal Mikuru!
On the downside, Kyon deserves to be tried for crimes against humanity, for:
telling Yuki she looked better without glasses.
Those should have been my lines! :P

Except...
Except, Kyon stole the glasses to use with Legal Mikuru - in which case he is a damn genius...

Iaman
Regular

#37 Post by Iaman »

ShiraiJunichi wrote:How can this have such a strong following already, when it hasn't even finished airing in Japan?
... ...
*dowloads torrent for episode 1 and begins downloading*
That's like saying NARUTO can't be popular outside of Japan right now(the sub, duh, the dub SUCKS) because it's not done airing...
I have no pants!

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

#38 Post by lordcloudx »

Iaman wrote:
ShiraiJunichi wrote:How can this have such a strong following already, when it hasn't even finished airing in Japan?
... ...
That's like saying NARUTO can't be popular outside of Japan right now(the sub, duh, the dub SUCKS) because it's not done airing...
We have a tagalog dub of naruto airing here in the Philippines. I've also seen some chinese dubs on some obscure chinese channel.

In haruhi's case, I'd attribute that to the powah of anime blogging. Some bloggers are getting tired of the humor in this series though. I've seen someone post something like "The Mediocrity of Haruhi Suzumiya."

Ah well, I like it and I enjoy it. And haruhi is cute.
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

ShiraiJunichi
Miko-Class Veteran

#39 Post by ShiraiJunichi »

Iaman wrote:
... ...
Well, Naruto is a very long series. So, even though it might not be finished airing, the fansubs have been around for a while (I assume, as I haven't actually seen it). But for Haruhi to be popular after airing only five episodes... that just seems really strange to me...

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#40 Post by monele »

When I heard about it, only the first episode had been fansubbed (had 5 episodes already been aired? I don't know). It seems there is a manga too (unless I misunderstood things PyTom said), so I suppose it's not all new and unknown to certain people.

Taavimon
Regular

#41 Post by Taavimon »

Haruhi is based on a novel series like Full Metal Panic, Slayers and Maria-sama ga Miteru before it. There are in fact two Haruhi mangas, an older one that was cancelled because the book fans hated it and another that just started recently.

Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Controlled Chaos / Sum of the Parts / "that" Midna game with ZONEsama
Projects: Sparse Series/Oddments Shop original cartoon in Pevrea; Cybernetic Duels (fighting game); Good Vibin'
Organization: Watercolorheart Studios
IRC Nick: BCS
Tumblr: adminwatercolor
Deviantart: itsmywatercolorheart
Github: Watercolordevdev
Soundcloud: Watercollider
itch: watercolorheart

Finally watched it

#42 Post by Watercolorheart »

... Because it was the only one I found very rapidly on YouTube.com. I am now hooked and starting from the beginning. It is a very cute series.

I am currently in the process of downloading the FLV videos (I love you, Firefox!) and watching them at my leisure.

I also watched a couple episodes of Magipoka. It is very entertaining, too, a lot of the humor strikes me as ... similar. Except, I think, perhaps, it is the more "adult" of the two series.

I'll definitely be watching more of Haruhi in the future. If I can stomach the horrible, entire Excel Saga series, I think I can stand something a great deal wittier than that.

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

#43 Post by lordcloudx »

hehe didn't know someone was using youtube other than me here.
I like the flv videos coz they're small in file size, but don't look that bad played at fullscreen on a tv monitor. I'm using IE so I'm using keepvid.com and you can also download the flv by looking at the page's source code
(too bad about the large number of anime getting deleted lately though)

Haruhi is already at episode 11 so... will this series be ending soon?
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#44 Post by PyTom »

It's scheduled to run for 14 episodes. (Including Mikuru Asahina's Adventure - Episode 00.)
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Controlled Chaos / Sum of the Parts / "that" Midna game with ZONEsama
Projects: Sparse Series/Oddments Shop original cartoon in Pevrea; Cybernetic Duels (fighting game); Good Vibin'
Organization: Watercolorheart Studios
IRC Nick: BCS
Tumblr: adminwatercolor
Deviantart: itsmywatercolorheart
Github: Watercolordevdev
Soundcloud: Watercollider
itch: watercolorheart

#45 Post by Watercolorheart »

Okay, well, I watched Episode 1-5 now, mostly in order. Actually, I watched Episode 5 before 4 accidentally due to downloading them in the wrong order, so I understood episode 4 slightly better than I would have otherwise.

I have to say, I'm very entertained, and what you would call "hooked." It's not often I find something that matches my taste and sense of humor. Last time that happened was when I picked up my mom's old copy of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Can someone point me to a chronological guide for the episodes, please?