Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#46 Post by PyTom »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Th ... a_episodes

5 minutes of power left, so I can't write more. Later.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Controlled Chaos / Sum of the Parts / "that" Midna game with ZONEsama
Projects: Sparse Series/Oddments Shop original cartoon in Pevrea; Cybernetic Duels (fighting game); Good Vibin'
Organization: Watercolorheart Studios
IRC Nick: BCS
Tumblr: adminwatercolor
Deviantart: itsmywatercolorheart
Github: Watercolordevdev
Soundcloud: Watercollider
itch: watercolorheart

#47 Post by Watercolorheart »

Thanks, Pytom.

Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Controlled Chaos / Sum of the Parts / "that" Midna game with ZONEsama
Projects: Sparse Series/Oddments Shop original cartoon in Pevrea; Cybernetic Duels (fighting game); Good Vibin'

#48 Post by Watercolorheart »

Alright, I finished watching all the aired episodes that have been subbed. I'm sure that everyone snoozed through episode 9, but I sort of liked it for it's insight into regular Japanese culture ... without a lot of the anime cliches.

Episode 11 was really funny, I love how they did the online game in the style of a classic space-drama anime. And the part where Nagato tries to manipulate the cursor by moving the mouse in the air. Heh.

Taavimon
Regular

#49 Post by Taavimon »

Episode 12 was very, very good. I probably would have placed this as the last episode, but since I think I know what happens in episode 6, I'm not surprised they chose that instead.

Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran

#50 Post by Watercolorheart »

Taavimon wrote:Episode 12 was very, very good. I probably would have placed this as the last episode, but since I think I know what happens in episode 6, I'm not surprised they chose that instead.
Yeah, I read the light novel (which is ALSO very, very good) and am familiar with what happens in that ep. Although, I am a little sad that the anime mixed up the episodes.

The story itself is in a very logical chronogical order, and doesn't suffer from the confusion that the anime must be creating in its fans.

The events of Episode 12 must be occuring in another of the light novel's volumes that hasn't been translated yet, right? It's a real shame that the anime is spoiling the book for me, and the book has spoiled some of the anime. Damn.

As for the novel, it can be found here:

http://www.baka-tsuki.net/project/index ... iya_Haruhi and I highly recommend it. It cleared up some of my confusion about the anime, and the little illustrations are adorable. I really liked it.

It's funny because I illustrate, animate, and write but I think that out of all of them, a written novel is more satisfying to me than an animation or a picture, because it's more personal to me.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#51 Post by PyTom »

Ep 12 is Live A Live, which has been translated.

Honestly, the anime is too good to spoil it by reading the novel first. Watch the anime, and then read the novel, as there's another level in the novels.

I say this as one who regrets having the ending of the anime spoiled. On one hand, I'm convinced that it will be a satisfying ending. On the other, I wish I didn't know it in advance.

Jake
Support Hero

#52 Post by Jake »

BCS wrote:The story itself is in a very logical chronogical order, and doesn't suffer from the confusion that the anime must be creating in its fans.
After a couple of episodes, I'd assumed that they'd done it to bring the hook in earlier - people who read books are typically willing to wait a little longer, in story progression terms, to get to the hook than people watching stuff on TV; if you've not seen anything that catches your interest after a handful of eps you're are like as not to switch to a different channel and try that other series about the time-travelling esper that introduced its conflict in the first episode, instead.

After seeing enough episodes to have seen how it would have panned out, though, I realise that this tactic only really brought the hook in one episode earlier - we got the baseball game with mentions of Closed Space (or whatever it's being called this week) in ep '3' instead of the fight with Ryoko in ep 4... so I wonder if the producers weren't just trying to make the series appear more magical and interesting than [they thought] it really was via that age-old literary trick of presenting information to the audience in a manner that suggests they should understand it, without having previously explained it, but with the implicit promise that it'll be explained at some point in the nebulous future if they pay attention long enough.

As it goes, by the end of ep 3 of the chronological series I would have been worrying that the series was "just going to be another school-based harem series" trying to be interesting... by the end of the aired third episode I was worrying that the series was going to be a repeat of Futakoi Alternative, which hooked me early with crazy and then disappointed me later by turning all mundane again. Although I suspect I'm just hard to please.

I can't really say I regret the 'end' being spoiled, though - I'm happy enough to sit and watch any episode of that series just 'cause they're fun to watch. I do kind of resent that aforementioned literary trick, though - 'cause now I know that I've already seen the chronologically last episodes, I know full well that most of the stuff I was wondering about isn't likely to get explained any more than it already has at all.
Not that that's gonna stop me watching. ;-)

Taavimon
Regular

#53 Post by Taavimon »

BCS wrote:Although, I am a little sad that the anime mixed up the episodes.

The story itself is in a very logical chronogical order, and doesn't suffer from the confusion that the anime must be creating in its fans.
The only time anything Haruhi related confused me was when I first read comments from people who were confused by the series. I was really surprised somebody could be confused by the non-linear story telling - sure, we weren't given all the details, but it's not like you couldn't easily fill in them with the radical technique I like to call using your imagination.

I think the series benefits from the non-chronological order - if everything went in the right order, we would have had the end in episode 6 and everything after that would have seemed like filler.

Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran

#54 Post by Watercolorheart »

Wait, there's another half-season coming up, right?

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#55 Post by PyTom »

BCS wrote:Wait, there's another half-season coming up, right?
Nope. There's ep 13, ep 14, and then Kyoani starts working on Kanon.

DrakeNavarone
Veteran
Completed: see sig below
Projects: always; never not
Organization: Team BG

#56 Post by DrakeNavarone »

There should be a second season, though. With its popularity, it'd be hard to imagine KyoAni not doing a second season.

To touch on a point mentioned earlier, I think the episodes are out of order to mirror the novels. The novels are out of chronological order, too, although maybe not to the same extent as the anime. Just check out the Haruhi Timeline
While they may just be copying the style of the novels, it really does work well for the anime, given the episodic nature of most of the chapters.

So it looks like they're gonna finish up the first book to end the anime, which was the smartest desicion. Like PyTom mentioned a few pages back, the ending really did write itself. I think on this point, the anime is gonna pass the novel. If you've read the novel (and got yourself spoiled) then you'll know what I'm talking about here, but that certain event should come off much more naturally in the anime since we've spent so much more time with the gang in the anime... I felt it was kinda rushed in the novel...
http://www.twitter.com/drakeynv
The Compendium of Drake:
Starlit Sky ~ Songs of Araiah ~ Mirai Imouto ~ Temple Glen ~ Fuyu no Tabi

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

#57 Post by lordcloudx »

PyTom wrote:
BCS wrote:Wait, there's another half-season coming up, right?
Nope. There's ep 13, ep 14, and then Kyoani starts working on Kanon.
Yes! Finally, the Kanon remake... yuuichi now looks like kyon too.

I think I'm gonna take PyTom's advice and not read the novels until I've seen the entire series. Episode 13's coming out this week anyway.
Only one more to go after that.
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran

#58 Post by Watercolorheart »

So, um, any new episodes out anyone wants to discuss before posting this feels like thread necromancy?

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#59 Post by PyTom »

Well, 12 was an awesome episode. Rock on!

13 was the obligatory Itsuki epsiode, and also served to set up the finale. But, to be honest, it wasn't much to write home about it.

shaja
Regular

#60 Post by shaja »

An interesting thing I read about Ep 12 is that KyoAni upped the animation rate during the band performance to a full 24fps instead of the usual twos or threes. Looks nice.