Battle Royale

For the rest of your otaku life.
optimus160
Ultimate Lemma One

Battle Royale

#1 Post by optimus160 »

Hey has anyone here had exposure to Battle Royale, be it the Book, Movie, or Manga? If so what did you think about it? I just finished the movie now and thought it was a bit strange compared to book, anyways just post if ya know.
PHEAR THE POWER OF THE ULTIMATE LEMMA ONE

Visit my DeviantArt page for stuff!

Ecchi Tiff
Regular

#2 Post by Ecchi Tiff »

I've seen the movie probably the equivalent of three times, though there are some parts I've skipped on later viewings :D - the first time I watched it, it was with Mandarin subtitles, and the only people who could read them weren't interested in giving an in-depth translation on the fly, but it wasn't that hard to figure out the (basic) story. And I knew enough Japanese to figure out whenever somebody said "Thank you" or "Sorry." :D

I obtained a less legitimate copy earlier this year with English subtitles, so I was able to understand the stories a lot more. I also bought Volume 1 of the manga, which covers about the first quarter of the movie - all things considered, I think I prefer the movie more, but the some of the characters' backstories are fleshed out better in the manga (Sugimura and Kawada come to mind). I hear Volume 3 gets pretty graphic (not just in terms of violence and gore).

As far as the movie goes, it's one of those movies that's brutal enough that I couldn't tell if I liked it or not - however, I think I've gotten numb enough to the violence that I appreciate it on a more artsy level now. The production was pretty good, and the acting passable. I liked the tactic of expressing a character's last thoughts when they bought it. I heard there was a sequel made (same guy, although his son took over when he died in the middle of filming), but I haven't seen it yet.

Random factoid: The girl in the video who introduces the BR was the seiyuu for Asuka in Evangelion.
Kyra: "You can kiss my acetabulum!"
Lord Pathos: "Hmm, tempting offer, coming from a cute girl like you."
Kyra: "Ug, I think I'm gonna be sick. Tom, let's get this quy, quick!"

Ziff

I own it

#3 Post by Ziff »

Battle Royale is a great movie that got a lack lustered sequel. It was based on a book of thesame name. There is a very disgusting comic book for it. I've read volumes 2-5. In it there was violent deaths, a guy fighting offf another dude with his severed arm, a gang rape, lots of underage sex and flashing. The art is pretty mediocre except when it comes to the gore. When ever someone dies, it does make you sick :oops:

The movie is awesome. It is one of the best horror movies out their. It is up to the level but a little bit lower to Evil Dead trilogies, Romero's Dead trilogy, and Halloween 1. It isn't very gory. It is just violent. It has good acting. It has interesting characters. It is also very sily. It is not to disgusting, except for multiple stabbings to someone crotch :shock:
Overall just find the first movie and book. Stay away from the comics unless you stomach to read it (it helps if it is empty!)

Gaul
Location: The cold north a.k.a Sweden (No we don't have polarbears)

#4 Post by Gaul »

I had a good time watching it what more can you ask. It was quite a weird movie but, Japanese stuff is generally weird (i'm probably gonna have to commit hara-kiri for that comment). I mean in what other countries are producing games that are based on raping teenage girls an accepted industry?.

Anyway Battle Royale is a good movie.... A lot of killing at any rate ;D Gee i wonder what would happened if my old school class had been put in the same situation [Insert evil keyboard typing here].

:P

Ecchi Tiff
Regular

#5 Post by Ecchi Tiff »

I finally got around to watching the sequel (a few months back, but I had forgotten about this topic) - I liked it the first time I saw it, but retrospection has made it rather dull. It's much more on the ridiculous side from the first one, and didn't actually make much sense - I thought it was rather amusing how a group of inexperienced teenage misfits could somehow develop the abilities to almost turn back a literal Marine invasion. And Shuuya as a bandit leader was just... wrong. The movie did have a lot of things that it could have developed better (and made it a better movie), but decided to focus on completely the wrong elements, which made it disappointing.

Riki Takeuchi did a pretty good job playing his self-titled character, though :D
Kyra: "You can kiss my acetabulum!"
Lord Pathos: "Hmm, tempting offer, coming from a cute girl like you."
Kyra: "Ug, I think I'm gonna be sick. Tom, let's get this quy, quick!"

GLACIER
Regular

#6 Post by GLACIER »

Hey has anyone here had exposure to Battle Royale, be it the Book, Movie, or Manga?
I liked the movie a lot. While occasionally brutal (sickle, megaphone, crotch stabbing), the violence isn't glamorous or particularly bloody, and as a whole, the film is just dripping with style.

However, I do feel that the filmmakers could've better emphasized the central message (lost on most viewers, if online consumer reviews are any indication) and political backdrop. As it is, the movie is rather exploitative, focusing too much on the students' fates, while explanations are lost in the shuffle.
It is one of the best horror movies out their. It is up to the level but a little bit lower to Evil Dead trilogies, Romero's Dead trilogy, and Halloween 1. It isn't very gory. It is just violent. It has good acting. It has interesting characters. It is also very sily. It is not to disgusting, except for multiple stabbings to someone crotch
Oddly enough, there doesn't seem to be much consensus on how the movie should be classified. Some say it's horror. Others say action. Personally, I watched the movie as a light drama.