Completed: Please see http://trash.moe
Projects: the head well lost
Organization: L3
Tumblr: narihira
Deviantart: crownwaltz
itch: lore

Re: Hakuouki PSP confirmed for localization

#31 Post by Camille »

That's just the way Saitou is... He never says things in a straight-forward way. For example, towards the end, when he wants the heroine to call him by his first name, he can't come out and ask her to do it, so he basically ignores what she says until she calls him "Hajime". He's very roundabout. So you can't really blame the translation since it's accurate...

I dunno, it's no different from how people spoke in Rurouni Kenshin. Isn't one of the EDs even called "Heart of Blade" or something? Hakuouki is a historical VN. It'd be weird if they used a really casual style.

Mink
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Say You Love Me (Short Version), C!P (NaNo12), Lady Misfortune, NatH, W/K, MtF, SMQ, TBM, TMHK, LoC, MMDG
Projects: Stuff
Organization: Metal Orphans

#32 Post by Mink »

Well, I'm not saying to make everyone speak in modern American slang, but surely there's a way to stay true to the original without making English speakers go, "What in the world is he trying to say/what does that even mean?" or to avoid unintentional hilarity.

I mean, there's a Junji Ito comic where a little girl keeps crying about the 'black lady'. Which sounds r-e-a-l-l-y funny, even though she literally meant black (it was a woman who'd been burned completely black). The translator changed it to 'ash lady', which makes makes total sense in the context of the story, and avoids the unintentional comedy of a little girl going, "THE BLACK LADY! THE BLACK LADY!!"

Or maybe I'm just being nitpicky. That's a possibility. :/
"I will send a fully armed battalion to remind you of my love."

***Say You Love Me***Human Enough***Cheerful!Polymorph [NaNo12][Complete!]***
"Couldn't you stop this?"
"Probably, but I don't want to."

*Website, yo*

teacup
Holder of Tasty Drinks
Completed: (P)lanets - the life of normalcy has ended
Projects: Circum[N]avigate

#33 Post by teacup »

@Camille
I wonder if the clouded blade thing would make more sense when it's not out of context? (In that case I question their choice of screenshots >.>;) Cause without your explanation, 'clouded blade' just sounds really... odd. Even if it's "proper English", it kinda seems like they translated things too literally. Urgh, I just hope I won't spend half the game scratching my head.
I actually attempted to play the original version to practice reading/listening to Japanese and um... Hakuouki is a BAD CHOICE for beginning in Japanese XD It crushed my dreams.

Mink
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Say You Love Me (Short Version), C!P (NaNo12), Lady Misfortune, NatH, W/K, MtF, SMQ, TBM, TMHK, LoC, MMDG

#34 Post by Mink »

Even with the explanation it still doesn't really make sense. You MIND can be clouded. A glass of WATER can be clouded. How in the world is a SWORD clouded? Yeah, Camille explained what he meant, but christ, there wasn't a better word to use than 'clouded'?

I want to buy this game, but as I said: the translation is starting to seem like I'm going to want to throw my PSP at the collective heads at Aksys while screaming, "LEARN TO ENGLISH!!11!"

*Website, yo*

Riviera
Miko-Class Veteran

#35 Post by Riviera »

I think it's more of a culture difference in that particular case, to be honest. I've read a lot of subtitles, and sometimes things take a little bit of culture knowledge to really get.... Hakuoki being a historical game and in the style it is, I expect there will be times when this happens.

I'm glad they're keeping the japanese voicing, not only because I like the emotion of japanese voice actors, but because it will help out with the overall cost of the project. Honestly, I've wondered before if we might not get more japanese games translated if it wasn't expected that they get dubbed or have dual voicing.

I understand why people want those options, of course! It's just something I've thought about occasionally.
Will edit/proofread for cookies.

I do free voicework! Click here for samples

Celestie
Veteran

#36 Post by Celestie »

Well, my friend and me are two more persons who are going to buy that game in English and support English otome game localizations. 'cause, our Japanese is nowhere near the level where you could play easy VNs, much less Hakuoki. (Hey, I so fail at kanji. I soooo fail TAT)

And I am so glad they keep the voices (it does help their budget), 'cause I can never get used to English dubs. Now I need a PSP...or do I buy a PSV in the end...? Nah, first working for money.
*pending signature, as in, I don't have any if this signature doesn't allow any 100px high images TAT*

Cidz
Veteran
Completed: The Forgetful Kiwi [NanoReno 2012], Papercut [NanoReno 2013]
Projects: Words Within Our Hearts, Papercut [NanoReno 2013]
Organization: Starlight Melodies
Tumblr: starlightmelodies
Deviantart: cidthekitty

#37 Post by Cidz »

Camille wrote:That's just the way Saitou is... He never says things in a straight-forward way. For example, towards the end, when he wants the heroine to call him by his first name, he can't come out and ask her to do it, so he basically ignores what she says until she calls him "Hajime". He's very roundabout. So you can't really blame the translation since it's accurate...
HNNNNNNNNN i think i love saito even more now >_< i loved him in the anime. i love those quiet serious types <33333

and i dont care much about the english translations as long as they are good enough for me to understand without me having to strain.

JustAnotherMe
Veteran
Projects: Kuro no Chou; 0.3 Second Lunch

#38 Post by JustAnotherMe »

Are there any otome game that will be translated in English or have English patch? I wanna buy psp just so I could play otome gamesss~ >_< But I can only read hiragana, not kanji, and my vocab is so little~ I really hope Idea Factory will translate all the otome game they have. Ughhh~
You are bigger than what you think but smaller than you can imagine.
0.3 second lunch

OtomeWeekend
Eileen-Class Veteran

#39 Post by OtomeWeekend »

I agree with Riviera.

By the way, I'm certainly sure that if someone would play a game like Hakuouki(an anime-styled game...is what they always define this kind of games ="=), I'm pretty sure that they are people who knows what -kun, -san and etc. would mean. Besides, it can never be more americanized(sorry, but that's how you make it sound) because IT IS NOT. Don't forget we are talking about a Japanese historical game here based on real culture, and real people(minus the rasetsu stuff) and not just some made up culture and characters once upon a time.

Since this game is based on the lives of samurais/bushi, they need to follow the 常識(jyoushiki or common sense) of the Japanese. Because that's what a real bushi is, a man of his word and of his country----and no offense but, no need to throw your PSP. If you think the translation sucks, don't buy it. If you are so eager to play it, buy it or learn Japanese and play the original. Because if you'll ask me, it would be BORING. Especially to people who doesn't really have any interest in Japanese culture and can't accept what Japanese culture is.

EDIT: My classmate once told me she likes the art in hakuouki but she can never be able to finish the game because she particularly can't stand history(she is a japanese, I mind you!) and the wall of text that seems boring.
"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong." ---Mahatma Gandhi

I no longer use this account. Please refer to my new account, enta if you want to contact me. Thank you.

Mink
Eileen-Class Veteran

#40 Post by Mink »

By the way, I'm certainly sure that if someone would play a game like Hakuouki(an anime-styled game...is what they always define this kind of games ="=), I'm pretty sure that they are people who knows what -kun, -san and etc. would mean. Besides, it can never be more americanized(sorry, but that's how you make it sound) because IT IS NOT. Don't forget we are talking about a Japanese historical game here based on real culture, and real people(minus the rasetsu stuff) and not just some made up culture and characters once upon a time.
I'm not saying to 'Americanize' it. Die in a fire, American Akira. I just meant that with some things, surely there's a way to word it that means the same thing, keeps the feel, and doesn't make anyone who speaks English facepalm. Would that work with everything? Of course not.

And I stand by what I said about having honorifics in a game that's in English, regardless of whether or not it's set in Japan or if people will understand it. No, that's not a deal breaker for me, but really?
Since this game is based on the lives of samurais/bushi, they need to follow the 常識(jyoushiki or common sense) of the Japanese. Because that's what a real bushi is, a man of his word and of his country----and no offense but, no need to throw your PSP. If you think the translation sucks, don't buy it. If you are so eager to play it, buy it or learn Japanese and play the original. Because if you'll ask me, it would be BORING. Especially to people who doesn't really have any interest in Japanese culture and can't accept what Japanese culture is.
The PSP throwing thing was hyperbole. (Admittedly, I have a tendency to sound blunt and serious even when I don't mean to.)

And obviously I'm not going to buy the game if I think the translation is that questionable. It's not like I'm against the setting, or have zero knowledge of Japan, but come on. There are accurate translations and then there's sheer WTF. Yeah, it doesn't look that bad, but I prefer to err on the side of caution when it comes to my money.

Then again, I could ask for it as a Christmas present and totally avoid spending any of my money altogether.
EDIT: My classmate once told me she likes the art in hakuouki but she can never be able to finish the game because she particularly can't stand history(she is a japanese, I mind you!) and the wall of text that seems boring.
To be fair, I think most people find their own country's history boring. Between choosing World History or American History, I chose World. I took American History all through school, and at one point STATE history. I'd rather hear/read/see something about a totally different country.

*Website, yo*

Celestie
Veteran

#42 Post by Celestie »

Oh damnit, Amazon.com doesn't ship video games to Germany. Gotta find another way to buy the LE of this game that is NOT ebay or expensive proxy service.
*pending signature, as in, I don't have any if this signature doesn't allow any 100px high images TAT*

dollssoulkirie

#43 Post by dollssoulkirie »

TenshiEffect wrote:The website is now up: Hakuoki: Demon Of The Fleeting Blossom
And the Facebook Page

Also, I noticed there is some Hakuoki merchandise in Aksys Store. Hmm... I might get the notebook and the pen set.

Different Man of the Month Articles: Interviews with the Guys in Hakuoki
Issue #1: Wolf Rhythm, featuring Heisuke Toudou
Issue #2: Gentry Magazine, featuring Sanosuke Harada
Oh man... I'm a sucker for notebooks and pins. D: I wish you didn't mention it! Now I gotta find a way to get them. XD

Speaking of the Man of the Month Articles... the next one should be out next week. *thinks~*

TenshiEffect

#44 Post by TenshiEffect »

Celestie wrote:Oh damnit, Amazon.com doesn't ship video games to Germany. Gotta find another way to buy the LE of this game that is NOT ebay or expensive proxy service.
Actually, there was a similar thread in Aksys Forum. Some of the places that was mentioned was Play-Asia.com, Video Games Plus, Estarland, and Canada's Amazon.com
dollssoulkirie wrote:Oh man... I'm a sucker for notebooks and pins. D: I wish you didn't mention it! Now I gotta find a way to get them. XD
Oops. :D Lol! The Aksys Store usually have sales. So, I'm going to be on the lookout during Black Friday and Christmas. ♥

Celestie
Veteran

#45 Post by Celestie »

TenshiEffect wrote:Actually, there was a similar thread in Aksys Forum. Some of the places that was mentioned was Play-Asia.com, Video Games Plus, Estarland, and Canada's Amazon.com
Videogameplus is what I'll try out, 'cause their shipping price looks nice. And that forum thread in Aksys' forum, well, that was me getting desperate xD (And I was so surprised, getting replies almost immediately there <3)