Worst anime you have ever watched?

For the rest of your otaku life.
Sonomi
Veteran
Projects: Lethargy of Snow
itch: sonomi

Re: Worst anime you have ever watched?

#286 Post by Sonomi » Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:21 pm

I watched the first season of SAO, liked it, then watched the first episode of season 2...and did not watch the series any more after that.

The reason being, I cannot understand why almost every time a writer gets pushed into a corner about the next arc in a shounen battle anime, he usually chooses the "Write a damsel in distress route!" approach. Why? I just...don't get it. As someone who grew up with only male friends, reading Shounen Jump, and not even learning of the existence of Shoujo until several years later, I still have trouble grasping this trend.

Usually, such stories wouldn't bother me to the point of me developing such a strong aversion. But this one. Most people disliked the fact that Kirito was an obvious stand-in, OP, average guy. The issue I took most concern with, however, was how horribly Asuna's character was handled after Season 1.

It is one thing when a female character is introduced as weak and incapable of taking care of herself to begin with. Ok...she still has room to grow. On the other hand, when you spend an entire season demonstrating how OP this heroine is--to the point of being on the same level as, if not stronger than, the MC--then suddenly slam the brakes and move her into damsel territory out of nowhere because it was convenient, it becomes off-putting in the most appalling manner possible.

That's not character development. It's very inconsistent and a huge step backward in characterization, if anything, because there is literally no reason for her circumstances starting Season 2 in the first place.
Maybe if I watched the entirety of Season 2, I would understand why Kirito woke up but Asuna somehow couldn't? I don't believe that was actually explained with a legitimate reason, but I could be wrong.
As crushed as I felt at the end of
F/SN's Fate route, I feel like SAO would have been better off if both Kirito and Asuna had not made it out of the game, as the premise began with all players actually dying when they're killed (why did I use that line...Shirou...). I would have been much happier if the writer left the last kiss at that and moved on to write a new series. Because at least then, the sentiment would not have been completely lost in translation.
Just to be clear, I actually enjoyed Season 1 of SAO and--pretending that other seasons don't exist--I can say the the writer did a mostly good job making a unique manga/anime reminiscent of .HACK if anyone remembers that one. SAO is not the worst I've ever watched, but it was one of the most disappointing ones because I had high hopes.

try10
Miko-Class Veteran

#287 Post by try10 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:39 pm

Someone dared me to watch Boku no Pico. NEVER AGAIN!!!

mard
Regular

#288 Post by mard » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:34 am

try10 wrote:Someone dared me to watch Boku no Pico. NEVER AGAIN!!!
I managed about ten minutes of the first episode before I had to stop. That show will give you nightmares.
Tend to be a bit quiet, but will help where I can.

Enjoy the drinks folks.

try10
Miko-Class Veteran

#289 Post by try10 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:03 am

mard wrote:
try10 wrote:Someone dared me to watch Boku no Pico. NEVER AGAIN!!!
I managed about ten minutes of the first episode before I had to stop. That show will give you nightmares.

I can never see little boys wearing skimpy clothes in the same way ever again... :shock: Yes, it makes you feel horrible after seeing it. That thing is an abomination.

Evy
Regular
Projects: Meet Me At Sea, All That Glitters
Organization: Paper Parrot
Tumblr: clysmian
itch: clysmian

#290 Post by Evy » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:01 am

There are a few contenders. I dropped Kannazuki no Miko and Mawaru Penguindrum halfway through. The Ragnarok Online anime was basically the biggest disappointment ever. I was also let down by Star Driver and Vividred Operation. Strawberry Panic! made me downright mad as hell.

Oh, and the Umineko anime. Screw you forever, Studio DEEN.

Imperf3kt
Eileen-Class Veteran

#291 Post by Imperf3kt » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:09 am

The absolute worst? Unwatchable, you-can-feel-the-brain-cells-dying worst?

It'd have to be the Eiken OVA

Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.

Koete Hoshi
Regular
Projects: fated
Organization: Iorium Studio, Wintersound Studio
Tumblr: hoshiart

#292 Post by Koete Hoshi » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:19 am

For me it's SAO season2. First season was fine I was okay with it but the second season was complete trash. But then again this is just my opinion.

GhostGnome

#293 Post by GhostGnome » Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:57 am

i don't talk much on the site (this maybe my first post and i made an account in 2010 that used an e-mail and username that's lost and forgotten o_0) but want to say something now, i maybe cheating and i don't care, anything by Red Sun Anime, ever heard of them, well they wore a french studio who's library of work is mostly hentai parodies with title's like Samurai Fantasy and Sailor and the 7 Ballz.

These films make Eiken look like Spirited Away in comparison and i think they knew it was bad as none of them have credits, the Sailor series (yes, series) are watchable in a, so bad it good kind of way and others like Samurai Fantasy (there only yaoi title) just hurts, they wore founded around 2002\2003 and died out around 2008\2009, oddly enough, there "works" have been picked up by some other company for some reason, but hay maybe there's market for 40 minutes of horrendous un-sexy "acting", art, animation and story.

Imperf3kt
Eileen-Class Veteran

#294 Post by Imperf3kt » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:41 pm

@GhostGnome
You can purchase Sailor Moon and the seven balls z at rightstuf :D
IIRC, the first episode is in English only and is mostly flat, digital art rather than animation. The second episode is Japanese only, with minor animation improvements.

Don't ask how I know about this >.>

Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.