Worst anime you have ever watched?

For the rest of your otaku life.
Sonomi
Veteran
Projects: Lethargy of Snow
itch: sonomi

Re: Worst anime you have ever watched?

#286 Post by Sonomi »

I watched the first season of SAO, liked it, then watched the first episode of season 2...and did not watch the series any more after that.

The reason being, I cannot understand why almost every time a writer gets pushed into a corner about the next arc in a shounen battle anime, he usually chooses the "Write a damsel in distress route!" approach. Why? I just...don't get it. As someone who grew up with only male friends, reading Shounen Jump, and not even learning of the existence of Shoujo until several years later, I still have trouble grasping this trend.

Usually, such stories wouldn't bother me to the point of me developing such a strong aversion. But this one. Most people disliked the fact that Kirito was an obvious stand-in, OP, average guy. The issue I took most concern with, however, was how horribly Asuna's character was handled after Season 1.

It is one thing when a female character is introduced as weak and incapable of taking care of herself to begin with. Ok...she still has room to grow. On the other hand, when you spend an entire season demonstrating how OP this heroine is--to the point of being on the same level as, if not stronger than, the MC--then suddenly slam the brakes and move her into damsel territory out of nowhere because it was convenient, it becomes off-putting in the most appalling manner possible.

That's not character development. It's very inconsistent and a huge step backward in characterization, if anything, because there is literally no reason for her circumstances starting Season 2 in the first place.
Maybe if I watched the entirety of Season 2, I would understand why Kirito woke up but Asuna somehow couldn't? I don't believe that was actually explained with a legitimate reason, but I could be wrong.
As crushed as I felt at the end of
F/SN's Fate route, I feel like SAO would have been better off if both Kirito and Asuna had not made it out of the game, as the premise began with all players actually dying when they're killed (why did I use that line...Shirou...). I would have been much happier if the writer left the last kiss at that and moved on to write a new series. Because at least then, the sentiment would not have been completely lost in translation.
Just to be clear, I actually enjoyed Season 1 of SAO and--pretending that other seasons don't exist--I can say the the writer did a mostly good job making a unique manga/anime reminiscent of .HACK if anyone remembers that one. SAO is not the worst I've ever watched, but it was one of the most disappointing ones because I had high hopes.

try10
Miko-Class Veteran

#287 Post by try10 »

Someone dared me to watch Boku no Pico. NEVER AGAIN!!!

mard
Regular

#288 Post by mard »

try10 wrote:Someone dared me to watch Boku no Pico. NEVER AGAIN!!!
I managed about ten minutes of the first episode before I had to stop. That show will give you nightmares.
Tend to be a bit quiet, but will help where I can.

Enjoy the drinks folks.

try10
Miko-Class Veteran

#289 Post by try10 »

mard wrote:
try10 wrote:Someone dared me to watch Boku no Pico. NEVER AGAIN!!!
I managed about ten minutes of the first episode before I had to stop. That show will give you nightmares.

I can never see little boys wearing skimpy clothes in the same way ever again... :shock: Yes, it makes you feel horrible after seeing it. That thing is an abomination.

Evy
Regular
Projects: Meet Me At Sea, All That Glitters
Organization: Paper Parrot
Tumblr: clysmian
itch: clysmian

#290 Post by Evy »

There are a few contenders. I dropped Kannazuki no Miko and Mawaru Penguindrum halfway through. The Ragnarok Online anime was basically the biggest disappointment ever. I was also let down by Star Driver and Vividred Operation. Strawberry Panic! made me downright mad as hell.

Oh, and the Umineko anime. Screw you forever, Studio DEEN.

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#291 Post by Imperf3kt »

The absolute worst? Unwatchable, you-can-feel-the-brain-cells-dying worst?

It'd have to be the Eiken OVA
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

Koete Hoshi
Regular
Projects: fated
Organization: Iorium Studio, Wintersound Studio
Tumblr: hoshiart

#292 Post by Koete Hoshi »

For me it's SAO season2. First season was fine I was okay with it but the second season was complete trash. But then again this is just my opinion.

GhostGnome

#293 Post by GhostGnome »

i don't talk much on the site (this maybe my first post and i made an account in 2010 that used an e-mail and username that's lost and forgotten o_0) but want to say something now, i maybe cheating and i don't care, anything by Red Sun Anime, ever heard of them, well they wore a french studio who's library of work is mostly hentai parodies with title's like Samurai Fantasy and Sailor and the 7 Ballz.

These films make Eiken look like Spirited Away in comparison and i think they knew it was bad as none of them have credits, the Sailor series (yes, series) are watchable in a, so bad it good kind of way and others like Samurai Fantasy (there only yaoi title) just hurts, they wore founded around 2002\2003 and died out around 2008\2009, oddly enough, there "works" have been picked up by some other company for some reason, but hay maybe there's market for 40 minutes of horrendous un-sexy "acting", art, animation and story.

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran

#294 Post by Imperf3kt »

@GhostGnome
You can purchase Sailor Moon and the seven balls z at rightstuf :D
IIRC, the first episode is in English only and is mostly flat, digital art rather than animation. The second episode is Japanese only, with minor animation improvements.

Don't ask how I know about this >.>

Twitter

Dravencour

#295 Post by Dravencour »

silenteve wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:10 amThe Hellsing anime sucked. Animation was half-assed and I somehow preferred the English dub, which almost never happens.
The first anime sucks bad, yes. If you want to get into Hellsing, I highly recommend the Ultimate series, which is a lot more faithful to the manga.

Anihime
Deviantart: AnimeFanatic02

#296 Post by Anihime »

The worst anime for me? If I had to choose, I'd say it's My-Otome. I absolutely hated this anime for several reasons...

I had seen this after watching My-HiME years ago (I was in high school at the time). I liked the story of My-HiME (the anime version, mind you) and took an interest to My-Otome. Especially when I saw the same characters from My-HiME in there (despite some of them having different personalities). After watching the anime to completion... I was sorely disappointed by how much it lacked story development wise.

Examples:

-Nobody dies! Most character 'death' scenes are teased, later showing them alive and well despite the fact that it shouldn't have been possible for them to survive
and it at least showed one character losing all of their memory after being shot in the head!
. I get that it's an anime and it's not supposed to make sense but seriously! Out of all the characters that did die in the anime, I only felt sympathy for one. Anybody else, I barely knew them as characters and felt nothing.

-Certain important plot points are never properly explained. I wouldn't have minded this if they at least went more in-depth into the backstories of certain characters.
For example, Mashiro's backstory for why she became royalty is never truly explained.
Only that she was a 'replacement princess'. Even Arika's backstory gets confused at some point and I still don't know who her father was; also, Arika talks about her grandmother constantly but there's never a flashback of her and her grandmother.
Backstory and the explanations for them confused the heck out of me! It always left me wondering and it was frustrating never getting a proper answer.

-There is at least one indication of incest.
I don't care if Nina is adopted and 'technically' not blood related to her father.
Having a story involving that kind of drama is admittedly weird for me. The only exception I made to this is for an anime/manga called Koi Kaze, only because it handled that taboo properly (in my opinion, anyway).

-
By the end of the series, every. Single. Female. Remains. An OTOME!!!
This whole anime already felt preachy about celibacy for the most part, so this fact was annoying to me. Especially when one of the Otome characters gives up that life to pursue love but was forced back into being one for the sake of plot. I have nothing against celibacy but any potential drama that could stem from that gets undermined for the sake of plot convenience. Because apparently, being an Otome means sacrificing your love life regardless of the circumstances.
Even Mai remains an Otome, even though she entered a contract with someone by accident!
Wasn't the whole point of her story that she was struggling between her duties and her love life? And she just accepts her fate as it is?
Seems unrealistic to me.
I had hoped Zwei would address a lot of these issues and redeem the show for me... but it didn't. I was left in utter disappointment by this show and stopped paying attention to it after watching through the whole thing.

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran

#297 Post by Imperf3kt »

Heh, anime is like that sometimes.
Though, if you wish to understand Mashiro's backstory and Arika's parent lineage, you can find that explained (though in a convoluted manner) in my otome: sifr

Funimation has the licensing rights but still hasn't put it up for sale, but there are other means of purchasing it.

Twitter

Morhighan
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: AIdol, When Our Journey Ends, Forgotten Not Lost
Organization: MysteryCorgi
Tumblr: MysteryCorgi
Deviantart: MysteryCorgi
Soundcloud: MysteryCorgi
itch: MysteryCorgi

#298 Post by Morhighan »

I really wanted to enjoy SAO because I'm a huge .hack fan. But it really let me down. The suspension of disbelief was ruined almost immediately. I really disliked how it was a harem-y "new girl every other week" sort of deal. Not to mention the weak characterization (both generally and especially for the characters who are girls) and the rapey overtones.
I might have been able to overlook it in an attempt to enjoy SAO, but then some of the more vocal fans ruined it for me by being really rude to the .hack and Log Horizon fandoms. Oh well.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#299 Post by PyTom »

Morhighan wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:25 pm I really wanted to enjoy SAO because I'm a huge .hack fan. But it really let me down. The suspension of disbelief was ruined almost immediately. I really disliked how it was a harem-y "new girl every other week" sort of deal. Not to mention the weak characterization (both generally and especially for the characters who are girls) and the rapey overtones.
I like SAO, but it's a very weird series, since it has the harem-of-also-rans. In the first book, you had a character that was basically loyal to one girl - and then they added a second book, that had the harem aspect to it. So you have some really good episodes, but some real stinkers because of that. (Later on it goes that way with entire arcs - didn't like the Gun Gale Online arc, but Mother's Rosario is brilliant.)

Not sure SAO would make any sense in the world without watching it's sister series Accel World first.

(For the record - loved Log Horizon. When it comes to .Hack, love LOTB, but found Sign too slow, and Liminality too empty.)
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

ReDZiX
Regular

#300 Post by ReDZiX »

I absolutely, profoundly regret watching Ousama-Game The Animation. I like deadly survival games like Battle Royale, Btoom! or Danganronpa and Ousama game has a similar concept so I checked it out. Oh how I regret even thinking it looked interesting when I read the setting and I regret recommending it to a lot of friends saying it might be interesting. The story would've been good if the characters weren't so damn stupid. I don't know maybe it's not the worst anime in the world but to me it's the only anime I've ever regret watching and would love to erase all of it from my mind.