Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

Re: Dub or Sub?

#16 Post by MaiMai »

Usually I prefer subs. But there are certain anime that I've watched that I feel wouldn't be the same in subs since I heard it in dub first so I guess it's a first listen bias. Such animes include much Rurouni Kenshin, Yu Yu Hakusho, and Trigun. I really just like how well the English voice actors expressed the characters. Fullmetal Alchemist is interchangeable for me (but maybe I'll say sub for that one because the Vic Mic... whatever fangirls scare me)
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#17 Post by LVUER »

The only "things" I prefer dub over sub are Metal Gear Solid (I love Hayter grunts and craspy voice) and Ace Combat series (don't know why, but the Japanese voice in this game sounds lame and un-military-ish). But they are video games, not anime...
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

yummy
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Suna to Majo

#18 Post by yummy »

Dub quality depends highly on the budget the local producer wants to spare to each TV episode.
For instance, the best dub quality I've ever heard comes from Disney productions.
In France, Ghibli's movies are dubbed by Disney in french and they sound great, they have their own interpretation, but the characters really feel alive.

But it's rare that producers allow such quality. So dubbed TV episodes generally suck, because of misplanning (like a pilot episode dubbed after the 6th episode), script translation and whatsoever.
It's all the same with subs, but since the episodes are not dubbed, you spare one step after the final result.

Eventually, I'd rather watch a show that is being dubbed according to the budget alotted... But you can't see that on a DVD cover, right?

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual

#19 Post by sake-bento »

Thread moved, since this is basically an anime thing.

I insist on using dubs to introduce people to anime. Most people who've never seen anime before just aren't as comfortable with it if you start them off on subs (there are exceptions, naturally, but it's best to play safe when you're trying to convert, and I'm biased towards dubs because of my other job anyway). I usually watch subs merely because they're available first. I prefer raws, but I try to watch things legally, and most legal streams are subbed. I think that the quality of dubs these days is pretty varied. Some are really solid, and others are just as terrible as the "olden days" when actors were pulled of the street and scripts were made up out of thin air. The big name stuff tend to be dubbed better (like the recent Eva movies), but it's still hit or miss.

Death_HUG
Veteran
Projects: A Mysterious Note

#20 Post by Death_HUG »

I prefer sub! I just don't like dub, even if I heard the dub first, I usually like the sub better. Though there are some animes I prefer with dub...

HikkiPanda
Veteran
Projects: Marchioness' Teacup

#21 Post by HikkiPanda »

Definitely sub for me, and I prefer sub with honorifics ^^

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#22 Post by LVUER »

Forgot to add another important reason why I prefer sub over dub. I learn (almost) all my Japanese watching anime with sub ^_^ Obviously, I couldn't do that with dubbed anime.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

dstarsboy
Veteran

#23 Post by dstarsboy »

Has to be "Sub". There is just a wealth of emotions, expressions and feelings that seem to only be possible with the Japanese language. If you watch something like Fairy Tale and listen to the goofy parts, that's almost impossible to pull off in English.
Current Projects:
The Isle of St Marcus

OtomeWeekend
Eileen-Class Veteran

#24 Post by OtomeWeekend »

Sub(though i don't see any subbed animes anymore after starting to rent them in the nearby rental shop here). I have this extreme fandom over voice actors and no offense but english voice actors definitely turn me off(except for yuri lowenthal, i like him. :) ) The only dubbed anime I've watched is Marmalade boy which i was forced to because i really wanna watch that anime at that time. :)

(and I don't watch anime much anymore, the era of anime in my life has already started to end). But i still watch animes(or replay, i like the older animes, all animes now were all ecchi and full of girls.... ah~ I miss the times when animes are still innocent to watch.) <~~I sound very old(note, I'm only 15.lol)

But seriously, subbing is much better than dub, the japanese voices fits the characters better than the english ones. :/ I even stopped watching tagalog-dubbed animes back in the Philippines.
"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong." ---Mahatma Gandhi

I no longer use this account. Please refer to my new account, enta if you want to contact me. Thank you.

Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess
Completed: Soul and Heart, Twin Faces
Projects: Soul and Heart Replay; The Court of the Two Sides (tentative title)
Organization: Lion Box Studios
Tumblr: lumenizampel

#25 Post by Lumen_Astrum »

Subbed. Even though I really like those dubbed animes here in the Philippines, I feel like I'm watching the real thing in subs.
(They keep on cutting and trimming the episodes here, so much that an episode almost lasts like less than 25 minutes -_-)

OtomeWeekend
Eileen-Class Veteran

#26 Post by OtomeWeekend »

Btw, i believe very few people would prefer dubs cause:
1. If yes, I can't believe Japanese voice actors are still popular in the other countries;
2. I believe 90% of girls likes seiyuus more than voice actors whereas boys don't give a damn as long as they can see their heroes in action(er, source is from the guild chat in Lucent Heart X.X); I don't mean all boys but mostly, they say; and...
3. There are some words that you can hardly explain in English. Ergo, if you want a pure raw anime true to whats really up, you better stick in subs. And I just can't help but creep out in the normally cute scenes in japanese turning cheesy scenes in english.
"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong." ---Mahatma Gandhi

I no longer use this account. Please refer to my new account, enta if you want to contact me. Thank you.

neowired
Regular

#27 Post by neowired »

Raws challenge me
Subs make me giggle with joy
Dub make me cry and lose faith in humankind

I had never seen a compelling example of anime dub, and I've seen a few hundred of anime.
There were a few exceptions amongst games though.
The primary example was Disgaea hour of darkness, I prefer the English dub in this one. Japanese Laharl is sort of rough-boy-ish, the English Laharl just sounds very... cute... and I like it (I'm not sure if it fits him, but I just like it more this way)

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards

#28 Post by Aleema »

I think just about everyone enjoys subs if they enjoy the foreign genre already.
The amount of hate for dubs is pretty striking, but this usually comes from official dubs that take an otherwise good anime and just butcher it. And as proven by that One Piece comparison under 2 different productions, it really does matter.

I used to fandub in my spare time as a hobby. I really enjoyed it, so I don't take a crap on dubs for just existing. I found fandubbing to be an excellent way to express my love for the material, and I enjoyed the challenge because I chose live action rather than animation. (It's much harder, trust me.) A big insult to me was when someone said I was doing a dub because I thought the movie needed to be dubbed, and that couldn't be further from the truth.
Last edited by Aleema on Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

herpinxthexderp

#29 Post by herpinxthexderp »

Honestly, I can't stand dubs. They dont fit the person that is trying to be voice acted most of the time, and the translations are iffy a lot of that time so you end up with:

"Put that chicken into that basket because it is very important"

or somethign like that xD Subs all the way~

PervertPrince
Regular

#30 Post by PervertPrince »

neowired wrote:The primary example was Disgaea hour of darkness, I prefer the English dub in this one. Japanese Laharl is sort of rough-boy-ish, the English Laharl just sounds very... cute... and I like it (I'm not sure if it fits him, but I just like it more this way)
I've only ever heard Laharl in English but now I wanna hear his original voice. To Google!

As for my view on the sub and dub thing...neither. I don't watch anime. The only animes I ever really watched were Pokemon and Digimon when I was a kid and, of course, they were dubbed. I tried watching some other anime shows on TV when they came on, some were dubbed and some were subbed, but subbed or dubbed I quickly gave up on them because, frankly, TV bores me -.-
I barely watch any TV. I'd rather read a book, a comic or play video games. I can go a whole week and only watch about five or so hours of TV.
And if I do find an anime that seems interesting, I'll read the manga because I know after a couple of episodes of the show I'll quickly get bored. Hey, it happaned with FMA.
I might consider watching the Persona 4 anime but that's only because the manga is taking so long to translate or whatever.
Eagles may soar in the clouds but weasels never get sucked into jet engines.