Are you a Weeaboo?

For the rest of your otaku life.
redeyesblackpanda
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Eternal Memories, plot bunnies that won't die.
Organization: HellPanda Studios

Re: Are you a Weeaboo?

#76 Post by redeyesblackpanda »

Chorvaqueen wrote:Someone made a thread that will guarantee lengthy posts of denial.
To heck with it! I'll jump on the bandwagon! :lol:

I'm not a weeaboo for these reasons:
I'm Japanese?
I don't use "desu" when speaking in English? :lol:
I like Big Band music?
I like math? :lol:
I speak Chinese?
I like Korean BBQ and Italian food?
I hike, camp, and to rugged things like that?
Uh... ran out of reasons... I wonder if they're actually any good.

I'm not a weeaboo even if:
I enjoy anime
I read manga
I like j-pop
I'm going to Comic-Con (and have been there in the past)
I want to visit Japan (Hey, I'm Japanese, after all, so I've got to visit the "homeland" some time!)
I want to learn Japanese (see above explanation, and make a couple modifications. Come to think of it, this actually ended up being longer than what it was trying to prevent...)
I like Japanese food
I like tea
I like 2D girls. (I swear, I can tell reality from fantasy... I just choose not to.) 8)
I play visual novels

Edit:
I went with a tour group to Medieval Times and thought, "I'd rather try going to a maid cafe. It'd probably be cheaper too..."
(All projects currently on a hiatus of sorts. I blame life.)
Tsundere VN
Not really checking the forums any more due to time constraints, so if you want to contact me, PM. I'll get a notification and log in. :mrgreen:
Also, I've been hit and run posting, which means I don't see many replies. If you want to respond to something I've said, also feel free to PM me.

NOTE: if you've got questions about vnovel or things like that, it's Leon that you should be contacting. Leon's been pretty much handling everything, but due to various reasons, I've had to withdraw entirely.

Argeus_the_Paladin
Veteran
Projects: Rzeczpospolita Polska 1647

#77 Post by Argeus_the_Paladin »

I'm Japanese?
Wait, what? :shock:

No, seriously, that's really, really surprising.
I went with a tour group to Medieval Times and thought, "I'd rather try going to a maid cafe. It'd probably be cheaper too..."
Holy father of Christ, they have transitional plate over mail and heraldic mail with surcoat. Heraldic. Mail. With. Surcoat. If I could be there just one time, I will die a happy man.
One Province Minor - 120 class variables and still counting!

Because there is no such thing as too many variables.

Flying Cat

#78 Post by Flying Cat »

I can't be.
I don't run around screeching about how Japan is better than any other country to have ever existed, I don't watch much anime, I don't have the time to read manga any more, and I actually know enough Japanese to be able to pronounce it correctly.

mapletaffy
Regular

#79 Post by mapletaffy »

Comparing to the weeaboo qualities mentioned here, i don't think I am a weeaboo. I don't even use japanese phrases in real life. . and I haven't watched enough anime to be called even an otaku. . .

I already saw weeaboos in real life. I was walking alone in a mall then suddenly I saw a group of youngsters wearing anime-style outfits. . Their voices are so loud and they act a little exaggerated. . .I also hear them speak a little japanese. I just keep in mind that even I was so shocked on what I saw, They seem to enjoy what they are doing. . . . So I just wish them good luck. . .*~(-_-)~*

Mr. Shiz

#80 Post by Mr. Shiz »

Would you consider me to be one? I am not fluent in Japanese but I know enough to talk to people. The only Anime Boxsets I own are Dragon Ball Z and Naruto. I have never watched all of Naruto but I've seen all of DBZ at least 3 times. I've seen the original DB and Dragon Ball GT too. Dragon Ball related stuff is all I really care about anime wise. Although Cowboy Bebop is great too. I read a few manga's online in Japanese and I have made my own manga. I don't just draw manga or anime either. I can draw just about anything if I can see it.

To me cosplay is kinda not my thing. I have this policy, I spend alot of money I get my moneys worth. With Cosplay it seems to go way against that. I only use it once and it could take a lot of money to make. Not to mention it may not turn out right. The only reason I'd ever go to a Con is so I can see New and Upcoming Video Games. E3 is always in Los Angeles and the Tokyo Game Show is well, in Tokyo. So, yea.

I don't think Japan is the best thing ever. I do Korean Martial arts, and most J-pop songs sound like a mouse is singing them. An Uber high voice isn't cute it just makes Japanese harder to understand. J-Rap and J-Rock is all I can take anymore. If you ask me French- Rap is the best type their is. I would visit Japan but only to go to Okinawa and Learn Seidokaikan Karate or Kyokushinkaikan Karate. Their martial arts mean a lot more to me that Anime does. If I learned those I would probably compete in their K-1 Kickboxing tournaments.

The only thing is I would like to just basically spit on weaboos just so I can toot my own horn saying, ' haha I know real Japanese, you pretend to know it but you'll never know what I'm saying.' 'Like haha, I made my own manga, (albeit unpublished) and you are stuck reading other people's creations.' 'Like haha, you pretend to be other peoples anime and manga characters, while I can just make one already like me.' It would just make my day.

dramspringfeald
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: The Echo, CBlue, Safety_Dance

#81 Post by dramspringfeald »

I'm not going to read 80 responses. the simple answer is yes.
this falls into the age old "Is it bad" or "Are we going to hell" questions. the answer is always going to be "If you have to ask the question then you already know the answer."
Don't be a Poser! Learn to Draw
Learn to Draw with Stan Lee
Learn to Draw with Mark Crilley
If you want you can brows my art. My art can be found at...FA // IB // DA Neglected for a few years so I'm just now updating it

Learn to break a bone to break a bone,
Learn to build a house to build a house,
Learn to make a Game to make a Game.

Ragtag

#82 Post by Ragtag »

Is-Is it bad that I don't even know if I'm a Weaboo or not? I'm just trying to enjoy my anime...

FragmentedBergyo
Regular

#83 Post by FragmentedBergyo »

This is one of those broad and badly-defined concepts that everyone has his own definition. To some people I'll be a weaboo, to some not. Everyone, when looking at himself, will think they're better than that - that's a really human reaction and it's good that way.
At the end of the day, it doesn't matter as long as you're having fun and not hurting anyone else.

Ishikatsu
Regular
Projects: Nemuri

#84 Post by Ishikatsu »

Hard to tell :D I MAY be over enthusiastic about Japan and it's culture sometimes; it's pretty easy to get carried away in presence of people who think anime is just for kids and geishas were all prostitutes. I believe I don't go overboard, though, and anime, manga or Japanese history are hardly my only interests. There are so many awesome cultures around, so why just stick to one?
Fear cuts deeper than swords.

pianist88

#85 Post by pianist88 »

Never have been one and never will be one. But I dated a former weeaboo (or at least she CLAIMED to be a former one), and consequently met quite a few weeaboos, and they are very, VERY cringeworthy, but I respect their decisions to become one. Yes, I do find some anime girls cute, but I don't have body pillows/cardboard cutouts/posters of them, nor do I have a waifu. Yes, I find the Japanese culture interesting, but I don't go around calling people "Onii-chan", and I don't say "That is SOOOO Kawaii!". Yes, I LOVE Nightcore music (but classical music is my jam, along with techno and trance). And finally, I do find vocaloid interesting, but only from a musical/technological point of view (I am a musician myself). But again, I don't have any Miku etc merchandise. And I will always be a proud New Zealander.

CaptainTenno

#86 Post by CaptainTenno »

pianist88 wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 9:13 pm Never have been one and never will be one. But I dated a former weeaboo (or at least she CLAIMED to be a former one), and consequently met quite a few weeaboos, and they are very, VERY cringeworthy, but I respect their decisions to become one. Yes, I do find some anime girls cute, but I don't have body pillows/cardboard cutouts/posters of them, nor do I have a waifu. Yes, I find the Japanese culture interesting, but I don't go around calling people "Onii-chan", and I don't say "That is SOOOO Kawaii!". Yes, I LOVE Nightcore music (but classical music is my jam, along with techno and trance). And finally, I do find vocaloid interesting, but only from a musical/technological point of view (I am a musician myself). But again, I don't have any Miku etc merchandise. And I will always be a proud New Zealander.
The problem is not with you, and not with these people. Its with a concept of a "weaboo" . Much like any other similar concepts: "a nazi", "a nerd", "a hipster", "a golddigger", etc.

The trick is, people somehow intuitively know what type of person they mean when calling someone these words, but when asked back like:
-"Yes, but what did you mean by saying that Im a "Insert_trope", why do you call me that?!" they will be... confused, to say the least. And struggle to answer.

For some people being a weaboo is just being interested in Japan. For others, if a person takes interest in Japan is ok, but if he watches any anime - he is a mad-bad weaboo. For some, all of these must be true, and he MUST also have a dakimakura and a waifu. So, its totally not about the person you are, but all about the person that calls you that.

Me, Im not a big fan of Japan or Japanese. I love anime-ish drawing style. Yume Tsubakiro is my eternal waifu. I admire Tokugawa Shogunate and samurai ethics (but I also admire lots of historical leaders and traditions worldwide). Yet, if it all was made in - say - Senegal, I'd hardly notice a difference. For me, its about specific things I like that originate from Japan, not the whole Japan as a sacred and infallible ideal. And I can guess its true for most of people there and in general anime and near-anime crowds.

But when someone calls me a "damn weaboo" - I will just smile and reply:

"Hell yeah Im a weaboo, what did you expect?! My waifu will eat large cake with champagne this evening, but what will YOUR WIFE eat? A chicken soup?ahaha". And so on. Just take it with humour, not with worries.

Joddy99
Completed: In progress
Projects: In progress
Organization: I'm alone

#87 Post by Joddy99 »

Ragtag wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:28 am Is-Is it bad that I don't even know if I'm a Weaboo or not? I'm just trying to enjoy my anime...
Same here! Same here :D
“You can die anytime, but living takes true courage.” – Kenshin Himura